Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished LT install, help

Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just finished LT install, help

First I'd like to say I'm really glad I decided to not pay a shop to do this because I saved alot of money. However I wouldn't have gotten far without the help of a good friend of mine who had access to some good tools and a couple he got from the GM dealer he works at. Took us about 3 afternoons of going at a fairly laid back pace, taking our time and paying close attention to what we were doing.

Anyways, we finished up this afternoon and started her up, BBRRMMM no problem, no codes or anything. I noticed however as soon as we took off there is some strong vibration at idle rpm and again around 1700 or so. I can feel something in the center underneath strongly vibrating so I'm just wondering what it could be. We didn't put in any new bolts where the y pipe attaches to the chassis of the car (not sure what it's called) so perhaps that it causing it, I also read about worn motor mounts being a common issue? Also we used red lock tight on the header bolts and I just read we shouldn't have done that?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
First I'd like to say I'm really glad I decided to not pay a shop to do this because I saved alot of money. However I wouldn't have gotten far without the help of a good friend of mine who had access to some good tools and a couple he got from the GM dealer he works at. Took us about 3 afternoons of going at a fairly laid back pace, taking our time and paying close attention to what we were doing.

Anyways, we finished up this afternoon and started her up, BBRRMMM no problem, no codes or anything. I noticed however as soon as we took off there is some strong vibration at idle rpm and again around 1700 or so. I can feel something in the center underneath strongly vibrating so I'm just wondering what it could be. We didn't put in any new bolts where the y pipe attaches to the chassis of the car (not sure what it's called) so perhaps that it causing it, I also read about worn motor mounts being a common issue? Also we used red lock tight on the header bolts and I just read we shouldn't have done that?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Well in my honest opinion using lock tight wasnt a good idea. When doing a header install, motor mounts are almost a must to do. Just had mine installed with some poly motor mounts. It could be ur y-pipe hitting the floorboard.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KylerCavers

...Also we used red lock tight on the header bolts and I just read we shouldn't have done that?...
It will be very interesting to know the details of this decision come removal time.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well if it was such a bad idea then someone should have warned me about it, i've read countless posts on long tube installs and never saw anything on locktite, or perhaps pacesetter should have a warning? The y pipe things sounds right because it's a pretty strong rubbing vibration from under the middle of the car. I'll put those bolts in today and see what happens.

Search this Thread