Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whats up with your FI car?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Whats up with your FI car?

Well, being around here for a while, i have seen a lot of FI cars being built, raced and transformed into a street/strip monsters. Back when i was just getting into the game i remember getting a lot of help from you guys, some of which i havent seen or heard any updates from in a while. Some names that ring a bell, ddnspider, bboyferal, inspector12, frost, tiago, ninetres, longrange4u, etc etc. Those are just a few names coming to my head now but i'm sure there are tons others. So stop in and give us an update, status of your car, recent power numbers/track times, how its doing on the street, etc!

As for mine, i'm planning on keeping it. Now a forged 347, aps, built 4l60-e car. 666 rwhp on 14 psi. Still working out a few minor bugs but it sure is a monster on the street. Will be heading to the track soon so hopefully knock out some 10's on 18's!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a sts set up on my stock ls1 6 speed with stock clutch. 2.34 60 footers 13.3 at109. The clutch was slipping and brutal 60 footers. I figure if I fix those things should be the the low 12 up hear at 5000feet DA. Cars are slow up here stock these things only run low 14's.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mines kind of a novel, as I'm brand new to the game too...and didn't do a 'build' thread because the kit I have is pretty obsolete, minus 52172 or whatever his s/n is...

Last fall I bought one of the only proven Hi-Flo turbo kits (specs in sig) in the country from TURBO LS1 SS (member of this site). I just got the car started for the first time the weekend of July 12th...after it being down for 7 months (rebuilt the motor and wasn't planning on it - bad bearings). The 'build' consisted of reusing the compstar rods and mahle pistons that were in it, swapping out the MS3 cam in favor of the 227/223 cam that TURBO LS1 SS ran in his car previously, swapping some TEA ported 853 heads in favor of some stock 317 castings with TSP dual springs, selling the fast 90 intake/tb and 38 lb injectors in favor of a LS6 intake/ported TB and 60 lb motrons. We redid the entire fuel system - retained the stock feed, adapted it to a 6AN fitting and ran a Y with dual feeds into some speed inc rails, then back to an aeromotive regulator, then a 6AN return back to the tank, and installed an additional walbro 255 pump in the tank. Also, moved the battery to the trunk. The Hi-Flo install went surprisingly well, had the hot pipes re-ceramic coated silver and I ended up wrapping them as well. Luckily, the problem issues that some folks have with the hi-flo kit had been solved by TURBO LS1 SS, so I had minimal headaches. Also installed a new PI 3200 converter when we put the drivetrain back up in the car.

We put in a 2 bar MAP sensor and I had a SD tune loaded from another car with a similar setup at the local tuner for the initial startup and drive. It wouldn't idle AT ALL on the first day or 2 of driving. It also hesitated alot - felt like it was loading up on the first time or two out driving it. My tuner told me it would 'learn' the tune, and should be better after some miles and putting exhaust on it. I had the downpipe stepped up from 3" at the firewall to a 4" then into a dynomax bullet where the stock cat is, couple of mandrel bends, then a 4" magnaflow 6" round case muffler then a turn down at the axle. With the exhaust on it now idles great and has seemed to have learned the tune well so far. The exhaust is VERY deep...kinda LT1'ish. I took it up to my tuner weekend before last and he added some fuel across the board to be on the safe side, and told me it should be able to boost safely up to 5psi if I wanted to 'play' with it a little.

So heres a lil tidbit of any kinda 'action' this things seen so far.
A friend of mine and I were out cruising it a few nights ago, I layed into it with the shifter in 2nd (auto) and a lil over 1/2 throttle and glanced down to see how fast I was going, then back up at the boost gauge and it had shot up to like 7-8 lbs, right as it spiked up it hazed the hoosier DRs and the low trac light shined for a sec! I was shocked how fast it built boost at only 60% throttle! I cannot wait to get into this thing all the way once the tunes finished. Should be done and tuned the first of september (still putting some break in miles on the motor and savin up some $$ to pay for the dyno tune).

I am having a couple of 'issues' that are up with it though. I'm trying to figure out why its clicking the starter once in a while on startup - it'll click once or twice then crank fine and start right up. I'm going to go over the grounds and maybe add one or two more. Also having weird issues with my electric fuel pressure gauge. It falls off after the cars been running for more than about 15 mins, but picks back up right where it should be on startup. Also under acceleration it falls off about 3-4 lbs on the gauge. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, I'm gonna put a mechanical gauge off the front of the rail and see what it does driving it on the dyno when its time for the full tune.

Last edited by Photochop; 07-31-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i thought i had everything i needed but turbonetics sent me an t76 instead of a y2k hp 88 turbo... so im still waiting on the right one... i recieve my motor a few weeks ago, a va speed built 402 ci ls2 stroker thats capable of holding 1300+rwhp...once again they sent me the wrong set of coilovers too!!!!
i just got my knock sensor relocation kit a few days ago, so just waiting on the turbo then it should be good to go!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well let's see. It was about 4 years ago when I pulled out the 3.8 and Powerdyne combo and put the LS1 in. About 6 months later I picked up an STS kit from APE (luckily it was just before they self-destructed). After I finished the install a couple of months later I blew the engine first time out on the road. The car sat in the garage for almost 3 years after that...

Got the car back on the road in January after putting in a forged shortblock from SDPC, keeping all the original goodies from Thunder, TSP, and TEA that I had put on the swap engine originally. Took a lot of weight out of the car while it was down, added a Wolfe roll bar, Burkhart manual brakes, VFN pin-on hood, etc. Forced Inductions rebuilt the turbo and swapped a bigger cold side wheel and housing on it. The 67 is supposed to act more like a 70 now.

Did some additional tuning (hptuners 2-bar speed density) and miscellaneous tweaking on it, modified the piping, put on an intercooler, more tuning, worked on the PCV, etc. throughout January.

Was afraid to really drive the car with the nearly stock automatic, and parked it again for several months. Got a Performabuilt Level 3 transmission, and a Circle D multidisc converter in the car just recently. Also added the Burkhart front bumper support. Started driving it again this past week and am putting the finishing touches on the tune now.

Planning to take it to Beech Bend dragstrip on Aug 16.

Running 12 psi, intercooled, 19 degrees of timing on 8.7:1 compression, 60 lb injectors at 75% duty cycle, 6500 rpm shiftpoints, 3.42 gears, 3400 stall, 3100 lbs with full tank of gas and me in the car. We'll see soon how it's going to do.

The stiff springs, shocks, and swaybars are going to work against me at the strip though. 600's in front on Koni's, 35mm front bar, etc. Lots of goodies I got from Sam Strano that will be great for road racing, which is the other thing I built the car to do.

Last edited by John_D.; 07-31-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

hey,im still around.I had my spec 5 clutch go out a few weeks ago and just had a new clutch installed(i believe im the only 1 on the site using this clutch company in an fbody).Anyways,after that I had a wierd starting issue that we finally fixed yesterday.Traced it to a bad ignition relay even though the car threw no codes.So now im finishing breaking in the clutch so i can retune on a few more psi.currently she made a hair over 600rwhp on 7psi.Otherwise,ive been the same as always,she runs when i want her to and can go have fun in.Oh yeah,i swapped to an LT1 radiator as well which help my cooling a bit and added springs/shocks.hows everyone else doing?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SS is currently at EPP (the only shop that can get it right the first time). Looking for 550-600 at the wheels.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i HAVE HAD SEVERAL PROLONGED "SPEEDBUMPS" (sorry caps) with my most current build. There arethreads about them. The latest of which is a turbo issue (something went through it.....or something). The turbo is on a brown truck heading back to my house from FI.com. Should be here in about 10 days or less. Then I'm off to get tuned to see what the ST80 can throwdown on 14psi @ Synergy in the Bay Area.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
The SS is currently at EPP (the only shop that can get it right the first time). Looking for 550-600 at the wheels.

Mines at EPP also...............what you getting done, if you don't mind me asking
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know that I am pretty new to everyone, but mine is coming along. Mock up is complete and now I am ready to build the motor. I will do some clean up and paint in the bay area, then reinstall everything. Looking to make 900 minimum for start on twin 76's, more worried about running a single digit 1/4 though!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also it is nice to see a little different post in this section other then the Norm. Good job superman!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

mine's apart in the garage.... i'm re doing the intercooler piping to go over the radiator, plus other little misc things...

I have a pile of parts in the house waiting to go on as well, as soon as i can get it in to the mechanic. The pile includes: 9", Koni shocks, springs, new suspension stuff, stock manifolds + all new v-banded exhaust, + more little things. Its all been just sitting in the house for months taking up space, and it needs to get put on already!!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
Mines at EPP also...............what you getting done, if you don't mind me asking
Nothing big really. Just a forged engine. Not really even looking for crazy numbers either. Oh crap a .

What about you?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cracked a cylinder on my 383 so I sold my turbo kit and am building a 408 w/ twin TC67s. Mines been down since December 4th.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I havent made any changes to the car in over a year, however I did pick up a Kenne Belle boost a pump . Im gonna install that in about a week, get 60lb injectors and shoot for 12-14 psi. I have been throwing around maybe putting a 50 shot of nitrous just to get out of the hole and let the turbo drag it the rest of the way. last year in September I ran a 11.6 @ 126mph with a poor 2.0 60ft . with better launch I might get a high 10. Then again it would be time to swap out the 10bolt for the 12 bolt
Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Kyle's old MAFT PRO set up which is a 3-5 bar SD piggy back system with WBO2 Tracking, and he supplied his old engine harness to make things a snap to install, which it was but there was one thing missing. Harlan (Y2Khawk) had done all the wiring on his car and this included the MAFT PRO install and a custom basically "one off" injector driver box. Kyle sold the injector driver box to another person and now i'm patiently waiting for Harlan to make me a jumper harness so I can get the car started.

Should run be interesting to run more than 14.7psi on my 98 once all is said and done.

I'm also going through the engine compartment and cleaning up the look of it. I sent some pieces to www.thepowderpro.com to have Sean work his magic on.

If you need powdercoating done, give him a try...he is also a mod on here
J
Old 07-31-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm fixing my PS leak with a new RnP that i just need to hook up. then an alignment inspection and a tune a new paint job new rims and she will be ready to roll out. oh yeah need to get another AC line made so that i can have my AC recharged
Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

After selling g the old shop car I have been through several different cars ending up with my current 71 Nova. No turbo though.

My 99 Z28/SS Camaro is just sitting on jack stands in my garage. I sold everything but the body. It will see life once again. Just no time soon. I have plans for a nice street strip monster with the car. I just have to much going at the shop to deal with it anytime soon.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Ran my car with the STS for 2 1/2 years. Kept it alive the entire time doing my own tuning and keeping a puss-friendly 5PSI boost. Basically re-engineered the kit during those 2 1/2 years as well

Took the car on the Hot Rod Power Tour as the only STS F-body to do the "long-haul". Put 3700 miles on her during 11 days on that trip!

Car is now scattered across the garage. Got a wild idea that I can make the same power naturally aspirated with more reliability. Current "combo" listed in my sig. Hoping to have the car back on the road in a week or so..... except the head porting is now behind schedule, so I lost this weekend to rebuild it..........
Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Well lets see after going through two shops.......Anyway I had the hole top end redone new twin walbors -6 lines everywhere, All custom pipes done now my car is no longer a STS car !. I also have a boost ready 418 going in after my 4xx goes LOL! But when that happens Im doing one serious frontmount with the biggest turbo or 's I can fit. My mother is puttin the final touch on the deal for my shop purchase by her. I should be able to move in by the end of this year and the madness will began! All I can say is two lifts 9k worth of tools and 3bays and im set! Oh and im not doing anybody else car at all. But back to the good stuff Im hopin to get the car this saturday dont care bout numbers just want to do 200 mph in the texas mile this year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats up with your FI car?