LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

running a bit hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default running a bit hot

Car is running pretty good after i finished up my felpro 1074 head gaskets install. Only thing is, it runs a bit hotter than it used to. Used to run about 185-190 all the time. Now, the temp will rise to about the 3/4 mark on the gauge, fans will come on and it will drop back down to middle of the gauge, then fans will shut off, then it goes back up and so on and so forth. I never replaced my coolant (just put the old stuff in a bucket during swap, then used it again) so my coolant probably isn't the cleanest. Also, when filling the cooling system, my buddy thought it would be fine to pour in water from the tap. Today i tested the coolant and the ratio was too watery. Could these things cause my lt1 to run warmer than usual? Should i swap out all the coolant? I opened both bleeders today and steady coolant came out so any help is appreciated.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change that old coolant. I use a coolant by Pro-Blend its like 14 bucks on carparts.com rather than other places like autozone that is around 25 . My car is tuned ( fans and thermo to run at 180 ) and on the highway my car will bob down to 165-170 and then in traffic it takes along while to get back up. you can run it during winter through
Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were running 185-190 prior to head removal you must have t-stat and fan mods installed otherwise the temps you describe is normal operation. Could still be an air bubble, I assume steam pipe between heads is installed OK. Since these things run lower rad pressure having a lower coolant/water ratio could cause boil over at higher temps and may reduce heat dissipation a bit, but not as drastic as what you are seeing. Also removing and re installation of the temp sender for the gauge may have disturbed to connection, try re-seating the plug a couple of times. PS for all that work, spend 15-20 bucks and get some good fresh coolant in there to protect your investment.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bobdec
If you were running 185-190 prior to head removal you must have t-stat and fan mods installed otherwise the temps you describe is normal operation. Could still be an air bubble, I assume steam pipe between heads is installed OK. Since these things run lower rad pressure having a lower coolant/water ratio could cause boil over at higher temps and may reduce heat dissipation a bit, but not as drastic as what you are seeing. Also removing and re installation of the temp sender for the gauge may have disturbed to connection, try re-seating the plug a couple of times. PS for all that work, spend 15-20 bucks and get some good fresh coolant in there to protect your investment.
When putting the steam pipe back on the head i crossthreaded the bolt hole on the drivers side head, but i was able to correct it and the bolt eventually went back into the original threads. Since then i have checked for leaks at the back of the head and it is bone dry so i dont think that the steam pipe is the problem.

I'm going to swap the coolant today and see what happens.