Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronics Install time ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Racetronics Install time ?

Could anyone guess on how long it would take to install the plug n play kit from racetronics. I am going to cut a trap door, and run the hot wire kit and pump. I only have about 6-7 hours to get it done cause i have to be at work, and it takes me an hour to drive to work from the place that my buddies and i are going to be working on it.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's as simple as everyone makes it seem, you should have plenty of time.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped the tank and ran the hotwire kit as well. It took me about 3 hours by myself.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
I dropped the tank and ran the hotwire kit as well. It took me about 3 hours by myself.
yes sir, get-r-done
Old 08-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Launching!

took me about an hour to install plus run hotwire kit, i dropped the tank, took less time since i have dumps and didn't have to worry about exhaust
Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how everyone is installing this thing in an hour. It took me almost six hours not including breaks (of which I took about 2 hours worth), 105 degree Texas heat will kick anyone's ***. Working in the heat probably made me work slower than the norm, and this was the first time doing this sort of thing so I took my time thinking each step through before actually doing it.

I cut the trap door which took maybe 10 to 15 minutes going real slow and careful not to deep. Don't go any more than 7.5" toward the front of the car from where the hump bends down into the T-Top well. You'd have a good chance of cutting a hose in half if you do.

The real pain was getting the fuel pump out. That took me about an hour working on the metal ring that holds it down. It wanted to bend down with each hammer strike and was holding on really tight. Had to stop and bend it back into place every few minutes.

I took my time actualy swapping the pump. I probably could have done it in half the time, but I don't like rushing that sort of thing. Maybe took 30 minutes or so.

Ran the wiring through the inside of the car, so I ended up having to drill a hole in the firewall. That process took about two hours removing panels and putting the line through. I probably took longer than needed, but I didn't want to cut the wiring so I had to work out the process for getting the fuse connector through the firewall.

Minor modifications were needed to connect the power wire to the auxillary power post on the driver side of the car. The supplied ring terminal was too small initially to fit over the post.

Overall though I am very pleased with the apparent quality of the kit. The pump looked spiffy with it's red shell and the hotwire kit with fuse and relay looked top notch.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

I agree, it took me ~5 hours, i am not sure how they got it done so fast?
I wish mine went that fast.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Aster
I don't know how everyone is installing this thing in an hour. It took me almost six hours not including breaks (of which I took about 2 hours worth), 105 degree Texas heat will kick anyone's ***. Working in the heat probably made me work slower than the norm, and this was the first time doing this sort of thing so I took my time thinking each step through before actually doing it.

I cut the trap door which took maybe 10 to 15 minutes going real slow and careful not to deep. Don't go any more than 7.5" toward the front of the car from where the hump bends down into the T-Top well. You'd have a good chance of cutting a hose in half if you do.

The real pain was getting the fuel pump out. That took me about an hour working on the metal ring that holds it down. It wanted to bend down with each hammer strike and was holding on really tight. Had to stop and bend it back into place every few minutes.

I took my time actualy swapping the pump. I probably could have done it in half the time, but I don't like rushing that sort of thing. Maybe took 30 minutes or so.

Ran the wiring through the inside of the car, so I ended up having to drill a hole in the firewall. That process took about two hours removing panels and putting the line through. I probably took longer than needed, but I didn't want to cut the wiring so I had to work out the process for getting the fuse connector through the firewall.

Minor modifications were needed to connect the power wire to the auxillary power post on the driver side of the car. The supplied ring terminal was too small initially to fit over the post.

Overall though I am very pleased with the apparent quality of the kit. The pump looked spiffy with it's red shell and the hotwire kit with fuse and relay looked top notch.
It also took me about six hours, except I droped the tank and ran the wiring under the car. The ring terminal should have been conected to the alternator, that is the point with the highest voltage output as per racetronix instructions.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snksknr
It also took me about six hours, except I droped the tank and ran the wiring under the car. The ring terminal should have been conected to the alternator, that is the point with the highest voltage output as per racetronix instructions.
Yeah I know the alternator is the preferred connecting point. I wanted to keep the fuse up with the rest of them on the driver's side. I may decide to cut the wire and extend it down to the alternator later on.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by transam69230
Could anyone guess on how long it would take to install the plug n play kit from racetronics. I am going to cut a trap door, and run the hot wire kit and pump. I only have about 6-7 hours to get it done cause i have to be at work, and it takes me an hour to drive to work from the place that my buddies and i are going to be working on it.
It should take about 2-3 hours if you take your time and do it right.