Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Painted Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Painted Headers

My car is a DD, so I am not looking to go ***** out as far as buying the most expensive parts...I live in Chicago, so the car sees rain, snow, etc. If I were to get black painted headers, about how long would they last before they become completely rusted through? Would I be able to get at least 2 years out of them?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
My car is a DD, so I am not looking to go ***** out as far as buying the most expensive parts...I live in Chicago, so the car sees rain, snow, etc. If I were to get black painted headers, about how long would they last before they become completely rusted through? Would I be able to get at least 2 years out of them?
Today I intalled pacesetter lt's, which were painted painted black from the factory. Within 2 hours of driving, the paint has pretty much flaked off. Not sure why this has happened, but you should see a about 2 years without rust I would believe.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hell id say go for the painted cuz the ceramic headers rust too i know tons of people that didnt have their ceramics headers very long and they started to rust,including me..id almost say buy the cheap stainless steal headers on ebay..
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

weird...i just don't want exhaust leaks after less than a year from holes or anything...my car won't be a show car until after I finish school...after i finish school, the motor, trans, and rear are being pulled and then car is being put into the garage while i pick up a decent DD and can turn this into the beast it deserves...for now, I want decent power on a budget...
Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you see snow in that car youll see the rust starting to build up in a matter of months....
but if you mean rust till they are unusable i believe theyll last u as long or longer than stock.

ill buy stainless steel header bolt since that is one of the first places i noticed rust.
in california my bros ceramic coated have rust spots coming out and only has about 1 year on em..
Old 08-01-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

yea, i'm talking rust til they are unusable...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

anyone else running these?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They are not going to rust all the way through. I mean, its entirely possible that they could, but that would be a very long time.

You can always get them coated later. A couple of days in a container with water, baking soda, and an electrical charge will strip them down to bare metal and you can have them coated.

The ebay headers are nice headers. I have them but you will need to do some cutting on the k member.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

what kind of cutting? i will be installing these myself in a friends garage