Sponsored by:

install snags

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 05:47 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default install snags

on my c5 im installing a new cam. got the starter, water pump,radiator all out and half the power steering pump. i cant for the life of me get the 2 nuts out on the metal lines that go to the gear box on the stearrin rack. i tried the stupid 18mm flair nut wrench(bought it today just for that and napa bent me over 10bucks for one!!!)tried a regular 18mm wrench. i cant budge umm. any suggestions. i hate this 1/2 the car apart and im stuck
Old 08-28-2003, 12:37 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: install snags

Once you take the PS pump bracket off the head/block (you can get at all the bolts with an open end wrench when you get the water pump off) and the ABS/AH module unbolted (take the three nuts off and lift it out of the bracket a little) if your car has active handling.

Once all of that is out of the way you can swing the p/s pump and bracket up and get at the lines from the top. If you already to that point, yes those lines are tight but they will crack loose with enough muscle. If there is room slip another box wrench over the flare wrench to make it longer - there isnt a lot of room there though. Get a 18mm crowfoot and a long handled 3/8 ratchet if all else fails.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: install snags

Soak them with some WD-40 for about 5 minutes and use a hammer on the wrench (carefully) to get the nuts to break loose.