Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering wheel controls

I have a 2002 WS6:

Both steering wheels controls stopped working. First they started cutting out and at times wouldn't work at all then finally they quit working altogether. I figured the switches were bad and purchased replacement switches. I installed the new switches today (8-2-08). However, the new switches do not work either. None of the buttons on the new switches work, nothing, nada.....................

I pulled the airbag and all the wiring under the bag looks fine. I pulled the radio and the connector on the radio all looks fine. I checked all the fuses and none are blown.

What am I missing or any suggestions on what is wrong? I can't figure out how they went from working some times to not working at all and now the newely installed switches don't function at all.

I thinking the problem is in the wiring or within the monsoon radio. Is there another connector under the dash or around the steering colom I need to check.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Come on surely someone knows the answer to this problem
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Check the two fuses for the radio controls mine would act funny and quit at times found corrosion on them causing a slight voltage difference. Try clean the connections or install new fuses. Located in fuse panel on left side of dash only 1 amp fuses.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks.

I have checked the fuses, all are fine even replaced them and cleaned the fuse block terminals. I have installed new factory replacment switches with new circuit boards, yet nothing works. The wiring harness looks good at the steering wheel and looks good at the radio connectors. All the buttons on the radio itself work fine.

I checked the voltage on pin 14 which I'm told is the steering wheel input wire. I have no voltage at this point. The steering wheel buttons do not light up.

I guessing the clockspring (SIR COIL) is bad, but I'm hoping someone else may have a different fix.

Thanks again in advance for anyones help with this issue.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Teching In

New twist to the steering wheel controls. If you turn the wheel all the way to the left the controls work fine. If you turn the wheel back to the right a few inches the controls stop working.

ANY IDEAS????????
Old 08-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Teching In

my 94 firebird does the same thing...my buttons light up but they dont work??
Old 08-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Cool

Mine don't light up even when turned all the way to the left but the functions do work if turned all the way to the left. I'm going to bite the bullet and find a clockspring (SIR COIL), GM part #26069709, if anyone has one.