Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SLP catbacks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New SLP catbacks?

Has anyone got SLP's new twin muffler catback yet? I know they
were to be shipping in the first week of July, but just want to see if
anyone got theirs and what do you think of the sound and performance.
One SLP's site it sounds louder than Magnaflow's catback. I like the quad tips
personally...If Magnaflow would just make smaller tips it would be even better.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Its the power-flo system i think. And yea it sounds badass but to much for my budget ride. Im happy with my cut-out and flowmaster muffler.

Last edited by whytryz28; 08-04-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound clips??

I have trouble believing that SLP made a good sounding exhaust for cars with longtubes, cam, heads, etc....
Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i think it too much for a bolt-on heads and cams.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 AM
11 Second Club

the sound clip that they have on there site of the powerflo's sounds pretty good..
Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm interested in hearing user's experiences as well. I'm close enough that I could drive to their Toms River, NJ location, but time is a precious commodity these days.

I wonder if they have a 'no tip' option so I can re-use my corsa knock offs.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

is it the lm2? i thought about doin TD's with the lm2 but went with the single and the o/r Y.....very pleased with the way it sounded. i would luv to hear how this new setup sounds in person! vids never do exhausts justice
Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by blown03mustang
is it the lm2? i thought about doin TD's with the lm2 but went with the single and the o/r Y.....very pleased with the way it sounded. i would luv to hear how this new setup sounds in person! vids never do exhausts justice
Not the LM2, this setup actually has a resonator or muffler in the intermediate pipe, as well as two small mufflers right before each tip.

I like it, but wonder how well it flows and how it sounds compared to a magnaflow setup.
Attached Thumbnails New SLP catbacks?-powerflo.jpg  

Last edited by The Alchemist; 08-05-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Launching!

I have one installed since last week.

It sounds truly awesome compared to my old dual-dual setup. Real musclecar sound with no rasp at all and no drone either The sound is much more louder and deeper than the dual-dual.

The only downside was to fit it correctly. Everything was OK, except for the tail pipe on the right side. It was not centered, lower than the left one, and it exited at an angle of 15 degrees toward the exterior

We tried during over an hour to fit it right but there was nothing to do At the end, we had no choices left, but to cut the pipe at four places and reweld everything to the right angles. A real PITA I can assure you

But once everything was done, and we crancked the engine, all of this was a thing of the past. The sound of that catback is really awesome ! ! ! ! Now I have an LS1 that sounds like a true V8 should do

The system is installed on a Formula Firehawk. At first, I feared that the mufflers will stick out too much from behind (since my car don't have rear skirt like the Trans AM do) but it's OK. They are not really visibles with the dual-dual tips.

Overall, I'm really happy with my exhaust swap. Sorry, I don't have pictures or soundclips yet, but I will try to have some in the near future.

Eric.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Not the LM2, this setup actually has a resonator or muffler in the intermediate pipe, as well as two small mufflers right before each tip.

I like it, but wonder how well it flows and how it sounds compared to a magnaflow setup.
I would think it flows even a little better than a magnaflow. Inside the magnaflow muffler there's a baffle that splits the flow. When it splits the flow
half the air goes thru the muffler then out the driver side pipe. But the baffle also splits the air and directs it to the passenger side pipe. I'm sure it's not a big deal but, the SLP system has two staight thru mufflers. The flow doesn't have to make any turns or anything. It cost alittle more, but i just hate how the magnaflow tips look...yuck!! I like the dual-dual tips on the SLP system. But either system is awesome. I like what Blue Hawk posted about the sound
That's great that it gives the LS1 a deeper tone.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have heads/cam LT and ory and i love my slp dual/dual. it could be a little louder on the inside but from the outside it screams. plus i didn't feel any power loss when i switched over the from a borla adjustable

this new powerflo system looks kinda gay. i just don't like goofy looking mufflers on the tailpipes. it will look stupid seeing them hang down like that IMO. might look better on the ta because the bumper will hide it
Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Definitely post picks Blue Hawk....
Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverLSWON
i have heads/cam LT and ory and i love my slp dual/dual. it could be a little louder on the inside but from the outside it screams. plus i didn't feel any power loss when i switched over the from a borla adjustable

this new powerflo system looks kinda gay. i just don't like goofy looking mufflers on the tailpipes. it will look stupid seeing them hang down like that IMO. might look better on the ta because the bumper will hide it
i'm not sure what gay looks like..lol. But alot of cars today show alittle of
the muffler. Mustangs for instance have their tips hooked up to the muffler and as much as i hate mustangs i never gave their mufflers one thought. Cobalts, G6's, and probably the new Camaro will show some muffler. Besides the further back the muffler is the less it restricts flow. Plus the tips themselves will hind most of the mufflers especially since it seems like SLP have them tucked up pretty good. But Brien is right...pics would help on both f-bodies.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
i'm not sure what gay looks like..lol. But alot of cars today show alittle of
the muffler. Mustangs for instance have their tips hooked up to the muffler and as much as i hate mustangs i never gave their mufflers one thought. Cobalts, G6's, and probably the new Camaro will show some muffler. Besides the further back the muffler is the less it restricts flow. Plus the tips themselves will hind most of the mufflers especially since it seems like SLP have them tucked up pretty good. But Brien is right...pics would help on both f-bodies.
well 05-06 gtos, and mustangs bumper cover comes down further(past the tips) thats why u can't really see the muffler. what i am saying is, that it might look like *** on a camaro. kinda like when someone puts a big ricer muffler under there car and all you see is this BIG *** muffler hanging down. as far as sound goes..it sounded good on slp's website. also there is no way the dual/dual tips are gonna hide that big muffler. maybe the 4 inch tips. as far is the flow, if you want flow, then just get the normal loudmouth catback
Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

here u guys go...http://slptv.slponline.com/featured_...php?reset=true just go to the right side on the playlist and find the clips for the 98-02 ls1's
Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

Sounds good
Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

sounds pretty good to me, id like to hear some more though! lets hear a clip blue hawk...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverLSWON
well 05-06 gtos, and mustangs bumper cover comes down further(past the tips) thats why u can't really see the muffler. what i am saying is, that it might look like *** on a camaro. kinda like when someone puts a big ricer muffler under there car and all you see is this BIG *** muffler hanging down. as far as sound goes..it sounded good on slp's website. also there is no way the dual/dual tips are gonna hide that big muffler. maybe the 4 inch tips. as far is the flow, if you want flow, then just get the normal loudmouth catback
Oh man i'm with you about big mufflers looking rice...god i would hate that.
But it looks like the muffler is 5 inches tall. so the only part you might see
is just the bottom of the muffler, but if you can see it from the side that would definately look like ***. Hopefully there will be more pics of camaros
with the catback so we can all get a better idea.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Definitely post picks Blue Hawk....
OK. I'll take some pics with my cell phone when I'll be back home, and I will post them tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Here's some pics taken with my cell phone. Quality is not excellent, but you'll get the idea.

Actually, you can see a part of the left muffler because it's closer to the tip than the right one. The right muffler is almost invisible.

Pictures 3, 7 and 9 have been shot with the cell phone being only a few inches above the ground.

Edit: This is a Formula Firehawk, not a Trans Am. So it should look exactly like this on a Camaro, and the lower skirt of the Trans Am would probably hide everything from every angles.
Attached Thumbnails New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_01.jpg   New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_02.jpg   New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_03.jpg   New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_04.jpg   New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_05.jpg  

New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_06.jpg   New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_07.jpg   New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_08.jpg   New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_09.jpg   New SLP catbacks?-slp_catback_10.jpg  

Last edited by Blue Hawk; 08-07-2008 at 02:07 PM.