Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint refresher: 1999 Black Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint refresher: 1999 Black Trans Am

Okay... I bought this car back in May... It was in pretty good shape. The interior was immaculate and the paint was great IMO just full of swirls and pits, but no oxidation... This car was definitely tapped in the front and in the back because there is some nasty impact spiderwebbing... I couldn't do anything about that, but this is what I started with:

Doesn't look bad right?

Well, I washed the car with Dawn and a bone sponge. Then I began claying it...

Here's the fresh clay:

Here's the clay after ONE PASS ON THE HOOD!

Here's a close up of that beautiful paint when in the bask of 1,400 watt Halogens:

I started with a Porter Cable 7424, a LC orange light cutting pad, and some Meguiars no. 80. I went at it on speed 5 at a snail's pace and this was the result:

W00t! Got the haze of a cutting pad, but still left the swirls! lol

They were DEEP!

So I wasn't screwing around anymore, I pulled out the LC yellow cutting pad, and Meguiars no. 83... I started going at it at least four passes per 2' x 2' sections, keeping it moist.

That's when it happened... My PC died...

This car killed my PC that had only been used four or five times... On its longest run of 4 minutes straight, I turned it off, wiped an inspected, and tried to turn it back on... Nothing... And the PC was HOT... Smelled funny too... Oh well, I was out of the warranty period so I had to get another one... Picked up a G-110.

Back to work.

Finished with the LC yellow pad the no. 83 after several hours of slow grueling cutting, and I finally got this:

Threw the LC light cutting pad on the G-110, and had all that fun all over again to take out the haze and light swirls left behind... Hours later, I got this... Finally starting to see major improvements:

From here on things were much more routine... The stress was over... White LC polishing pad with some Meguiars no. 9 and went at it:

I followed with some Meguiars no. 7 Show Car Glaze on a grey finishing pad, and some no. 20 Polymer sealant on a CCS blue final finishing pad and by hand... Took it all off and now that paint looks like this:

Alot of the pitting was too deep for a DA polisher IMO, would need a rotary or some wetsanding... Overall, I think the car is a major improvement!

Some random pics:

Boy do I hate black!!!

Gotta work on the red car now, but I need a break...

BTW, the G-110 made my 7424 seem like a turd... Damn this thing's awesome!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good. Need a WS6 hood though.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Looks good man
Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Whiteknight01
Looks good. Need a WS6 hood though.
Thanks dude!

The hood... LOL, neither of my TA's will ever have one... They were not OEM equipped for their VIN's, and they will not be wannabe's.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by formulajunky98
Looks good man
Thanks!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

looking good! how about an aftermarket hood? Sometimes its not about being a wannabe, its just about what looks good.... (The fact that GM made the Z28's look just like v-6 cars is a real shame IMO)...at least you trans am guys got a nice bumper and spoiler with your v-8.....
Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy that must have taken many hours. What exactly is the g110? I got a Porter Cable but sometimes wish it was more powerfull. The FLex da polisher looks interesting.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Those Flex's are NOICE...

But major $$$.

The one I have is the Meguiars G-110... Its speed 6 goes 6,700 OPM... Very quiet, and the unit runs very cool...

The G-100 is the one that's like the PC 7424, IIRC.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
looking good! how about an aftermarket hood? Sometimes its not about being a wannabe, its just about what looks good.... (The fact that GM made the Z28's look just like v-6 cars is a real shame IMO)...at least you trans am guys got a nice bumper and spoiler with your v-8.....
Thanks,

Nothing on my cars' exterior, except for wheels, is aftermarket... It's just me, but I'd never get a hood different from the style that came with my car.

Quick Reply: Paint refresher: 1999 Black Trans Am