Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LME + ETP + FTI + NEP + 93 pump = ?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LME + ETP + FTI + NEP + 93 pump = ?????

What do you get when you take an LME C5R 427 + 2 @ GT35R's (15 PSI) + Pump Gas (93 Octane) + a NewEraPerformance MAF Tune + a muggy 94* day = ????

you get a 1000+ WHP - 900+ WTQ Street/Strip Car !!!! (Been driving it around town ...Drove it to and from the track [1 hour each way !], made some shakedown runs, drove it home....). Drivability is amazing - awesome tune Mike !!!!

Dyno pull info...
94 degrees, miserable humidity, slicks (same diameter as stock tires, other tires wouldn't hold on the dyno! actually even walked these on the rollers once or twice ), very safe (rich) A/F (future Speed density tune will better control/refine the fuel curve - make the graph a little less "peaky").

So this should be considered a baseline ("proof of concept") run. There's still more there.... Not that it's needed -

The Highlights:

Plan conceived, parts fabricated, project built and tuned at NewEraPerfomanceParts <-- SUPPORTING VENDOR !!!

An amazing MAF tune be Mike @ NewEra ..... Speed Density coming soon. I can't say enough about Mike and the rest of the crew at NewEra !!!

LME C5R 427 - Custom Weisco Pistons. Lunati 4340 Crank and Pro Billet Rods. Shortblock beautifully machined and assembled by LME - Thanks Brian!

STS twin turbo kit, upgraded GT35R's turbos, dual 38 MM wastegates, (BTW - this system is capable of supplying 20+ PSI to a 427 @ 7000 RPM in it's current configuration... Don't ask !), Meth injection, etc.

ETPerformance 245 (cathedral port) Heads - Thanks Craig @ ETHeads.

Custom (application specific) Turbo cam from Ed Curtis @ FlowtechInduction.

“Out of the box” FAST90 intake, stock L76 Throttlebody, APS Extreme (boost referenced) Fuel System, RC 75 injectors.

RPM "Stage V" M12 Trans, SPEC "P-Trim" twin disk carbon, SFI Bellhousing, Hardened L & R shafts and R spider, Billet pinion support, HD clutch pack, DTE Brace, Aluminum TQ tube bushing, etc.

CCW Drag Pack, Carrara QA1 adjustable shocks, etc.

Like most projects, still plenty of work to do....:smash: I'll keep you posted as the car and I get used to each other at the track.

Might be looking for an auto trans conversion very soon !!! It's not caged yet and my "manberries" aren't up to holding the pedal down for more than short bursts at this point, especially on the back half. .....so before you ask - no times yet...

This project would have been absolutely impossible without the knowledgeable engineering, consulting, fabrication skills, patient support, oversight, encouragement, and generous access to the crew and resources at NewEraPerformanceParts!!!!

VERY SPECIAL THANKS to Brian at LateModelEngines for a great shortblock!! Ed Curtis @ FlowtechInduction and Craig at ETHeads for great consulting, products and OUTSTANDING response and customer support. They provided amazing Heads and Cam. Then expedited custom valve springs and retainers to help me through an initial valve float issue - worked perfect!

[

Here's an earlier graph where we made 1033 by accident!!! (too much boost - 17 PSI . . . you can see we "stepped off" at 6K, it was getting a little crazy on the dyno at that point !!

There's really no magic here, so I will try to answer any questions you might have ...when I can get to the PC. More to come....

soon....
Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice power!!! which I had that setup in the SS. Post some videos if you got any
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

damn thats sick!Do you have any videos of it??
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it seems the sts does much better in corvette trim... congrats!!!! im just hoping my little d1sc will break into the 600 rwhp zone!

now i know why mike and his guys have been so busy....

Last edited by ZDOG; 08-05-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Nice car man, i got to see it when she was being built earlier this year when i had Mike tune my car.

Truly an amazing machine, best of luck with it!!!!

and +342423 on Mike and the whole New Era crew, top notch folks!!

--Mike
Old 08-05-2008, 08:13 PM
8 Second Club

Great job!!!!! Excellent "baseline" results
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that an APS fuel system on the car??????? I didn't know they finally released those.....
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

i want a 427
Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is the power falling off from 6000-7000 rpms? What is the exhaust setup? Wrapped? Headers/manifolds?.

Congrats on the big number, but the power band leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I'd love to see a video of the boost gage spooling in 4th gear on the street to get a better idea of how laggy it actually is. Dynojets = teh suck for turbo car tuning.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any idea what the injector duty cycle was?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Launching!

You are right, dynojets can have an impact on dynotuning a turbo car. Im sure his powerband probaly gets shifted over 1k rpm as an unloaded dyno leaves me with 6 psi at 4k rpm on my sts twin turbo z06 when i can make as much as 20 psi before 4k rpm on the street with virtually the same size turbos.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

amazing work mate! congrats to you on a sweet car!

oh and have you told Nick Yoskin an LB over on the corvette forum yet??? seems like they aren't they only ones making 1000bhp on pump!

Chris.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
Why is the power falling off from 6000-7000 rpms? What is the exhaust setup? Wrapped? Headers/manifolds?.

Congrats on the big number, but the power band leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I'd love to see a video of the boost gage spooling in 4th gear on the street to get a better idea of how laggy it actually is. Dynojets = teh suck for turbo car tuning.

I agree. Curve looks a bit "Supra-ish".

Still a bad *** car though, bet its a blast!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

its prolly because those turbos are small for a high flowing 427. A pair of GT40s prolly would hold boost a lot better, that or tire spin.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why does that dyno graph look like that, no offense but it looks like sh*t? Yeah you got 1000hp but thats peak and the power falls like a rock. Combo looks like its got potiental but you've got some mechanical issues that need to be fixed.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the comments. It was a lot of work and I'm really happy with the initial results.

Now for a few questions:

Fuel system... It is an APS fuel system, I ordered it in march and it took about 2 weeks to hit the doorstep.

Injector duty cycle... Mike (NewEraPerformance) has the run logs but I think we saw 85% worst case and it is still very rich. We just wanted a safe base tune (That' why it's still running a MAF tune) so we could start working the bugs out. The speed density will help immensely with the fuel curve. I have to admit, I was worried (I'm a pessimist by nature...) about the fuel delivery system but as far as we have tested so far, it is capable of feeding a TT 427 and making it pig rich. The other feature that seems to work very well is the boost referenced pressure regulators. They tracked spot on. So far, one less thing to worry about.

The "peaky" curve... Yup!!! an inertia Dyno does not "flatter" a turbo setup. BTW there were no dyno tricks involved in these pulls either. (like loading with the dyno brake, Pulling out the tail lights so the intakes got fresh air instead of what was being dumped by the wastegates, etc. we just strapped it down and made the pull on a 94 degree day with 200 degree ECT's) That's why I refer to it as a baseline.

It feels like it hits sooner and carries longer under street/track loads - this is certainly an unscientific statement and based solely on what I feel. When you step on this car you don't do a lot of Gauge watching!!!

All in all.... I would call this a great start, and a significant accomplishment (especially for a MAF tune (on the stock PCM) under the conditions). Over time things will get sorted out and more data, and more importantly track results will follow.

Thanks again - Stry
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Stry, I'd say we could do a couple pulls but... hahaha. I will be starting my 4L80e swap very soon I hope, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm hoping for high 9s before the year is over.

-Adam
Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
7 Second Club

Ahhhh, BS on the dyno... Here is my graph on a dynojet. You've either got a problem with the valve springs, back pressure or something else. Again, I am not trying to be an a$$hole, you've got a great combo that makes alot of steam, figure out why it drops off soo quick.

Last edited by Phil99vette; 08-06-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea, that motor should definately pull past 5900 RPMs.

BTW, phil... Why is your graph's X coordinate in mph??? I don't believe i have seen it done that way before, usually only reference RPM.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
7 Second Club

When we dynoed we had a tough time with the tach signal it was in and out. Plotting was easier with the MPH.

Quick Reply: LME + ETP + FTI + NEP + 93 pump = ?????