Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end delima

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear end delima

Here goes:

I daily drive a 98 M6 Z28 with a cam/full exhaust/etc. Its got 128k miles. In the not-so near future I want to get a blower, and before that build a forged internal engine. I have never taken my car to the track, nor do I plan to anytime soon as I cannot really afford to loose it for an extended period of time due to crap breaking. I've had my heart set on a Mid-West 9" package since it was first released as a "look what I made at my shop" deal. The only problem is that it is about as obtainable as the blower right now. Or in other words, I dont have freakin $3k to drop on the whole package. I know I could get an ebay chunk to help control the cost, but that only saves me about $400... and thats only a fraction of a difference when compared to the whole thing...not to mention that you get a macdaddy diff for that extra.

So why dont I just cut to the chase? Who around here thinks that I should just keep socking away cash for a few years or however long it takes for this piece? Who thinks that I should get a junkyard rear and put gears/bearings/etc into that one and rock it for now.

BTW, my stock rear is howling at the moon and missing/spitting spider gear teeth like a pirate. Clunking like a locker. Oh and I have some new bearings/installation stuff in my shop for a 7.5 I can also setup gears/have access to all the tools/presses needed (Harbor Freight Assistant Manager )

If I get another rear then I could build it at my convenience, use my Mac cover, new bearings, etc, swap it over into my car... all in a days-off time period... and have the stocker as a "spare tire" incase something awfull happens.

I don't plan on taking the car to the track for a long time...LONG time. Its an extra-daily driver! The 9" would be a nice check in the box... but the whining from my crappy "second hand" 4.10 gears/bad bearings is driving me crazy NOW.

Need opinions and advice people.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My other option is to get a Housing Axle package from Bob setup with what I want on it for about $1185. With that, for now, the ebay rebuilt third members are looking rather apealing for roughly $500. So for a grand total of $1700ish I can have a 9" in the car. I would be missing out, of course, on the torque arm, dsl, phb, lca, sfcs that could get for... twice as much from MWC... but it would be so much sweeter.

Honestly, would the Moser package/ebay chunk work for my application?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
My other option is to get a Housing Axle package from Bob setup with what I want on it for about $1185. With that, for now, the ebay rebuilt third members are looking rather apealing for roughly $500. So for a grand total of $1700ish I can have a 9" in the car. I would be missing out, of course, on the torque arm, dsl, phb, lca, sfcs that could get for... twice as much from MWC... but it would be so much sweeter.

Honestly, would the Moser package/ebay chunk work for my application?
I'd say the Moser package/ebay chunk would work fine for your application. You may also want to consider the Moser M9 housing/axle/torque arm/transmission crossmember combination for $1,800.00. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324
Bob