Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Vararam and Water???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vararam and Water???

U know im sure this has been beat to death but ima ask anyway. I just bought a VRB2 system from a friend of mine for $200...i have done a little research on rain and cant really seem to find anything. My question is after i looked at the "trough system" i noticed that each ram tube only had 1 drain hole in the corner. Do some of you guys really think this is a enough to keep water from going through to the intake while driving?....my car is my daily(tryin to work on gettin sumthin cheap but that my be a while) driver and i dont like driving in heavy rain at all and most of the time im pretty good about staying out of it....but like some others i know, i travel. Arkansas(stationed) to south carolina twice a year and **** happens with the weather....i dont wanna freak and have to pull over for the sake of water through the motor....i was thinkin of drilling another hole per tube, the same size in the opposite corner. I would like some input/info on the whole topic...
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed mine as sent and been caught in total down pours without issue. Leave her alone and don't worry, the system works. Only thing to worry about would be going through standing water, like in a low spot on the X way after a down pour. I had to turn around and drive in reverse just to be safe. Talk about funny looks. Oh well better safe then sorry.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Never heard of any issues with rain and Vararam. I dont drive mine in the rain but even on Corvette Forum most people dont have problems.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Unless you drive through a 3' deep pond, you should not have any problems

Keith
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1290
Unless you drive through a 3' deep pond, you should not have any problems

Keith
+ 1 on that !!!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

I was having the same worries as you about the vararam. I have spent the last few months researching this topic. It really seems like people dont have problems with water and the vararam. I found one guy that reported a problem but it was the old kit. I have been back and forth between the vararam and the honker kit. But all the positive reports about the vararam, the price, and lack of water issues have changed my plans. I plan to order a vararam for my car very soon
Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

wow, ok. I appreciate the comments fellas....i guess ill leave it alone.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Read my earlier posts. It was a weird situation and unfortunate, but if the road is level you will be fine, but be careful, sometimes roads can look level in the rain. Live and learn. I have the C6 kit. If you go into a puddle that has adequate depth or there is enough standing water, you will hydrolock your motor. There are alot of cars in my area that hydrolock in the rain due to the poor drainage and standing water issues. Alot of Police Cruisers too..... from what I hear they specifically address it to the officers
Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

I live in seattle washington. Nuff said
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SRT03
I live in seattle washington. Nuff said
Probably not nearly "nuff" said since I don't see the significance. We have rain here too. It's wet.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

lol well im in arkansas....believe me there is standing water in some places...so i will have to be careful...i should be as it is anyway.......even in stock form.

Quick Reply: Vararam and Water???