Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

4" mufflex/custom exhaust question for a turbo car

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 4" mufflex/custom exhaust question for a turbo car

I figured id post this here since FI guys are more likely to run a 4" exhaust than NA guys.

I would like to do the mufflex 4" with a single magnaflow muffler but I dont like the look of just 1 exhaust tip, Especially since the rear bumper on my TA has 2 openings for the exhaust tips.

So has anyone ever run a 4" exhaust out the back and had the dual 4" tips? I could probably weld the passenger side tailpipe into the main 4" pipe where it comes over the axle, but this would bypass the muffler completely and I dont know what that would sound like?? any ideas??
Attached Thumbnails 4" mufflex/custom exhaust question for a turbo car-jakescamarofornowpics131xxx.jpg  

Last edited by 30th t/a; 08-06-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use to have the 4" mufflex and spintech dual..the tips where close to 4".. u could run the other pipe with a Cut out sence its a t/a, but the magnaflow shouldnt be to restrictive if its the round one so sound wont be to different. Thats what i realy want to do when my new motor gos in and big turbo..4" back and single tail pipe.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the 4" Mufflex/Magnaflow w/hideaway tip, but it looks good on a Camaro.

If I had to have dual tips, I'd go with either the 3.5" dual exit muffler or 3.5" chambered cat-back from Stainless Works. Since you have turbos, you could probably delete the I pipe muffler on the chambered system and it would still be quiet. Second choice would be the 3.5" dual exit Mufflex w/spintech muffler.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have mine dumping before the axel so you see no tail pipes, unless i hook back up my catback then the two outlets are 2.5 oe 3" i forget, but those too are cut back so you dont see the tail pipes.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got my 3" DP necking up to a 4" pipe, then a dynomax 12" bullet where stock cat. is, then 2 mandrel 's' bends to tuck it up into the tunnel better, then a 6" round magnaflow 14" muffler turned down at the axle. I can post pics later tonight. Paint the back of the muffler/turndown black and you wouldn't even see it under the car. Has a nice deep tone thats not too loud for a turned down exhaust (similar to a hooker catback with LTs on a h/c car on a loudness scale). I opted for the turndown to reduce the weight of the 4" catback, and its about what I'd hoped for, just realll deep, almost like an LT1 sound to it.

If you really want tips, you could always run dummy tips in the back that don't connect and just dump it before the axle. If you do weld it up directly to that pipe w/o going thru the muffler first, expect it to be much louder. Regardless, its going to have a very deep sound to it.

Last edited by Photochop; 08-06-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
I've got my 3" DP necking up to a 4" pipe, then a dynomax 12" bullet where stock cat. is, then 2 mandrel 's' bends to tuck it up into the tunnel better, then a 6" round magnaflow 14" muffler turned down at the axle. I can post pics later tonight. Paint the back of the muffler/turndown black and you wouldn't even see it under the car. Has a nice deep tone thats not too loud for a turned down exhaust (similar to a hooker catback with LTs on a h/c car on a loudness scale). I opted for the turndown to reduce the weight of the 4" catback, and its about what I'd hoped for, just realll deep, almost like an LT1 sound to it.

If you really want tips, you could always run dummy tips in the back that don't connect and just dump it before the axle. If you do weld it up directly to that pipe w/o going thru the muffler first, expect it to be much louder. Regardless, its going to have a very deep sound to it.
Im interested in seeing what you got. The spintech is a option but I wonder how good it flows compared to a magnaflow?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The magnaflow would outflow it by a longshot. You can't beat 4" straight thru (well unless you go 5"...but thats a lil ridiculous!)

Yeah I've been meanin to take some good pics of the car since I got the install done and it cleaned up, I'll do that tonight and post em up.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

You may have already seen this but here's an option.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/916852-does-anyone-have-their-4-dp-exit-car.html
Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

thats what i was looking for Brad! thanks! I think I can run 2 - 4" magnaflow race mufflers there.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

any issues with removing the pan hard stablizer bar ?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

ha was gonna dig up the pic sent in the link. but you can do 4 inch it is a little tight. not sure about two mufflers though. since the trunk isn't symmetric and need to tuck piipe closer on the the driver side. with turbo it is not that loud i just duplicated an SLP loudmouth when i built that one.

Quick Reply: 4" mufflex/custom exhaust question for a turbo car