LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Strut tower brace (when is it needed?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut tower brace (when is it needed?)

Is it worth it to have one, what exactly do the help?
Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

less flex and turn's better
Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Strut tower braces and sub frame connectors that re-enforce the torque boxes should have been install on all these LT1 Camaro/Firebirds prior to rolling off the line IMHO.

Unless of course you like the wet noodle feeling.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate007
Strut tower braces and sub frame connectors that re-enforce the torque boxes should have been install on all these LT1 Camaro/Firebirds prior to rolling off the line IMHO.

Unless of course you like the wet noodle feeling.

I agree. I installed such items on my '96 Z-28 11-12 years ago....
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are for reducing creaking noises when going over speed bumps
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LM97Z
Is it worth it to have one, what exactly do the help?
For the price you can't go wrong with one imo. Give Ryan at UMI a call he will get you squared away with one. If you are dialing in your suspension then top it off with one..plus they go on in minutes
Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

for the average guy, i think they just get in the way and are a useless mod. i saw no improvements in the 1/4 mile with one, nor did i notice any difference on the street with it. sub-frames, yes, i will support those any day of the week. strut tower brace - no, i think it's a waste of money. if you're *serious into racing you already have a cage tieing the car together, thus making the STB (and SFCs) useless...imo.

just something else to remove before working on the car, and something else to add when you're finished.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s346k
for the average guy, i think they just get in the way and are a useless mod. i saw no improvements in the 1/4 mile with one, nor did i notice any difference on the street with it. sub-frames, yes, i will support those any day of the week. strut tower brace - no, i think it's a waste of money. if you're *serious into racing you already have a cage tieing the car together, thus making the STB (and SFCs) useless...imo.

just something else to remove before working on the car, and something else to add when you're finished.
Of course you are not gonna see a difference in the 1/4 mile..rofl!!!!! Were you thinking it was gonna take a 1/2 sec off your time? IMO for the average guy that rally's around town or in backroads it's a CHEAP and easy suspenion mod to do and a decent one at that. And taking it off and putting it back on you might be out 10 min if that.

If it's such a worthless mod then why did you do it??????
Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a good place to lean on when the engine is hot, and can be used to lift the frame when you drop the engine from the bottom Also, if your dash pad is cracked it will not rattle as much with one(true story!)

Besides that you won't really notice anything, and I take mine off at the track since it is just extra front end weight...but it is cheap, easy to install, and looks good so why not?

If you want to tighten the frame up get some subframes.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

SFCs and STBs are the first thing I do to my cars. They definitly work. You would really notice it more on an older car thats alittle loose already but even I noticed the diff on brand new cars. It is a great place lean on when the engine is hot! LOL! Looks great. It works great for drag racing. It might not reduce ets but It helps to keep the front straight when launching also if your car is bas *** enough to pull the tires This will take alot of the stress off the suspension when landing by distributing the stress though both struts.
For 100 bucks you cant go wrong
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

i bought one...purely for appearence sake, i did not notice any improvement in handling at all.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Of course you are not gonna see a difference in the 1/4 mile..rofl!!!!! Were you thinking it was gonna take a 1/2 sec off your time? If it's such a worthless mod then why did you do it??????
no, i thought it would drop a second off my ET . i was stating my experience. i know it won't do dick for a car in the 1/4, but does everyone else? i did it to prove a point to a friend that bought one. once again, stating an experience, simple as that.

if your car yanks the front tires, odds are you need a cage - and a cage will distribute stress and hold a car together better than any bolt-on piece you can find.

imho this is a worthless mod that is potentially money that could be spent elsewhere, on something productive. other than "looking good"...it does nothing.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by s346k
no, i thought it would drop a second off my ET . i was stating my experience. i know it won't do dick for a car in the 1/4, but does everyone else? i did it to prove a point to a friend that bought one. once again, stating an experience, simple as that.

if your car yanks the front tires, odds are you need a cage - and a cage will distribute stress and hold a car together better than any bolt-on piece you can find.

imho this is a worthless mod that is potentially money that could be spent elsewhere, on something productive. other than "looking good"...it does nothing.
Your a better friend then most..let's just hope the same guy doesn't consider wanting a ricer spoiler too
Old 08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Your a better friend then most..let's just hope the same guy doesn't consider wanting a ricer spoiler too
eesh. gotta draw the line somewhere. the ta already has a ricer wing on it, the problem is...gm put it there.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have BMR tubular SFC as well as their STB, the STB just looks nice, doubt it does any thing. I could always use it as weapon if needed :shrugs:
Old 08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My spohn 25mm solid rear sway bar did a lot more for keeping my car straight on launch then the STB. It honestly did quiet down the rattle from my broken dash pad though, so it must be doing something to make the front end more rigid...it just was not noticable in my case and my driving habits.

IMO it is still just for looks and to lean on when lashing rockers or something when the car is hot
Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

since when does a cage tie the strut together??? uni body yes front end no. There is nothing tying the top of the front suspesion other than a couple bolts and sheet metal. Its worth it. Im sure you could find a used one for 50buck or less.
I noticed the diff more when I take them off and drive rather than when you first put them on.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I have BMR tubular SFC as well as their STB, the STB just looks nice, doubt it does any thing. I could always use it as weapon if needed :shrugs:
I actually used my BMR as such last time the car was apart. And yes, people do back up when your wielding a BMR strut tower brace.

Yes it does something, more than you might expect also. Take it off and go for a ride sometime, hit some good corners at speed.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AChotrod
since when does a cage tie the strut together??? uni body yes front end no.
think about where roll cages mount, then ask this question again. i'd like to see you twist any part of an fbod with a cage installed for road racing / carving corners.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a SLP one.. like mentioned above.. something to lean on..

Although it doesn't let my FRC's clear..