Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bypass Valve recommendations

Old 08-07-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass Valve recommendations

I have been running the stock Bosch bypass valve, vented to atmosphere, on my Novi 2000 at 8 psi. I dropped in a forged 346 and plan to up the boost to about 14-15 psi. Based on what I have been reading the Bosch valve is problematic at this level. I have also done a lot of reading on bypass valves versus blow off valves. Some people say they are the same, others say they are different. I found this quote form Bob at EPP

"A bypass valve is always bleeding off boost until is sees close to zero vacuum, such as when going to wide open throttle. This way there is no load on the blower.

A blow off valve typically does not bleed off boost until a set psi is achieved, then it releases the pressure. A supercharger is always making boost, even at idle. If this boost is not vented off, it has to go somewhere when the throttle blade is closed shut. If it can't find a weak hose in the plumbing, it will try to slow the blower down, putting a strain on the blower as the blower is belt driven. A blow off valve can also cause supercharger belt slippage when letting off the throttle. Bob"

So I tend to believe the 2 valves operate differently. So what I need is a recommendation for a bypass valve for my system.I keep runnign across teh following names, but don't know one from the other.

Vortech Race Bypass Valve
Mondo Bypass Valve
Hyperboost DV
ATI Race Valve

Also I can barely hear my Bosch valve at 8 psi, so I would like a slightly louder valve and long as I dont sacrifice part throttle response and drive ability.

Thanks for the help
Chris
Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people will be running these two: Mondo Bypass Valve or the ATI Race Valve. Loud as hell if vented to the atmosphere.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

ATI race valve vented to atmosphere here. You better like it loud if you go this route.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mondo on my GTO not very loud at all, due mostly to my mounting location.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Teching In

i have never witnessed a loud bypass valve but id like to, i have a vortech v2 on my ss ute (australia), and have the supplied bosch by pass vented to atmosphere, alot of people down here use the mondos, but i cant imagine them having a nice blowoff valve sounds because as you said the bypass's are constantly bleeding, and boy did i learn learn that the hard way,
a supercharged v6 buick with a bov...
Old 08-08-2008, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Y55-7UT
did i learn learn that the hard way,
a supercharged v6 buick with a bov...
Thats funny! Because I see where you are going with this.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by marlowchris
I have been running the stock Bosch bypass valve, vented to atmosphere, on my Novi 2000 at 8 psi. I dropped in a forged 346 and plan to up the boost to about 14-15 psi. Based on what I have been reading the Bosch valve is problematic at this level. I have also done a lot of reading on bypass valves versus blow off valves. Some people say they are the same, others say they are different. I found this quote form Bob at EPP

"A bypass valve is always bleeding off boost until is sees close to zero vacuum, such as when going to wide open throttle. This way there is no load on the blower.

A blow off valve typically does not bleed off boost until a set psi is achieved, then it releases the pressure. A supercharger is always making boost, even at idle. If this boost is not vented off, it has to go somewhere when the throttle blade is closed shut. If it can't find a weak hose in the plumbing, it will try to slow the blower down, putting a strain on the blower as the blower is belt driven. A blow off valve can also cause supercharger belt slippage when letting off the throttle. Bob"

So I tend to believe the 2 valves operate differently. So what I need is a recommendation for a bypass valve for my system.I keep runnign across teh following names, but don't know one from the other.

Vortech Race Bypass Valve
Mondo Bypass Valve
Hyperboost DV
ATI Race Valve

Also I can barely hear my Bosch valve at 8 psi, so I would like a slightly louder valve and long as I dont sacrifice part throttle response and drive ability.

Thanks for the help
Chris
In my opinion, at 14-15psi there is no need for the huge bypass(mondo or ati race) The vortech race bypass is a great choice for your set-up, it will release enough air, sound good, looks nice, it's smaller so easier to fit, won't be super loud and is less expensive than the two larger units. That's what I used with my D1 at 14psi and it worked flawlessly. It makes an awesome fluttering sound when you let out at high rpms. If you ever plan to go even more boost, then you might as well get one of the big boys now but if you plan on staying with 14-15psi, the vortech race bypass is your best choice. I'm going with close to 30psi now so I went with the big red ati race bypass but I think it's over kill for your set-up.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a vid of my car on the dyno. You can hear it but really doesn't do it justice. I thought my ears were gonna bleed in that little bay. And dogs go CRAZY when they here you coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks9BnD6Hjrg
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Funkybird
Here is a vid of my car on the dyno. You can hear it but really doesn't do it justice. I thought my ears were gonna bleed in that little bay. And dogs go CRAZY when they here you coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks9BnD6Hjrg
Is that high pitch squeel the bypass or the blower? It's hard to tell but I know the larger head units make quite a bit of noise too. Mine is going to be loud I think, F2 and ati race bypass, I just wonder which will be louder lol.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running an f1a and its not very loud, you can only hear the blower itself at idle. As soon as you touch the throttle the bypass starts screamin. I cant rev it at all when i'm under the hood, it kills my ears haha.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

I'm running an f1a and its not very loud, you can only hear the blower itself at idle. As soon as you touch the throttle the bypass starts screamin. I cant rev it at all when i'm under the hood, it kills my ears haha.
Lol, that's awesome. Guess it's the bypass I hear then, man I didn't realize they were that loud. I guess it's not going to be much of a sleeper anymore, most people that hear something like that comming from a car, even if they don't know what it is, they know it's not something to mess with
Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, there is deffinately no hiding it haha! It makes a loud flutter when you get out of boost too, I like it! I had a guy flag me down in a neighborhood the other day cuz he thought "my rings were burning up" hahahahaha!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

Yep, there is deffinately no hiding it haha! It makes a loud flutter when you get out of boost too, I like it! I had a guy flag me down in a neighborhood the other day cuz he thought "my rings were burning up" hahahahaha!
Yeah, that flutter sound is awesome, that's what my vortech race bypass used to do. I'm glad to hear this new one will too, just louder.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

ATI race BPV FTMFW...the thing is absolutely disgusting..sounds like a damn jet plane taking off...I get crazy looks all the time from the thing..get one, you wont be disappointed...Jeremy
Old 08-09-2008, 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

This JGS valve works great if you are recirculating, and you can't beat the price 215 shipped
Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Does JGS make one similar that can be used for venting to atmosphere??
Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 PM
FormerVendor

225 shipped call me
Old 08-09-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ls 2 goat
ATI race BPV FTMFW...
Tell us how u feel.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

ati race BPV
Old 08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo

225 shipped call me
Isnt this A blowoff valve? Better suited for turbos? If it is a BPV great deal and I will call

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bypass Valve recommendations