Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Applying for Marine Officer

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Applying for Marine Officer

Well guys I settled on what I'm gonna try for, Marine Officer :-)

I would kill to get a pilot spot and I feel like I can do well enough on the ASTB to grant that. Having said that has anyone taken it? And would those that have perhaps have any recommendations?

I go for the medical screening on the 10th of next month and will be taking the ASTB probably a month after that if I pass. Anything I need to know about the medical screening?

I've got my 3 miles in the 19 min range and I'm pretty close to maxing out pull ups and crunches. Besides that I just have to finish up my last few classes with school and hopefully I'll go to OCS next summer :-) I get pumped thinking about it
Old 08-07-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

go air force if you want to fly..
Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

I agree, real Marines are on the ground. I dont want to stir up the pot but, lets face realism.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably going to cause an arguement, but... here goes.

The Marine Corps is an expeditionary organization. We need to be able to do a little bit of everything so that we don't have to rely on the other services when a quick strike is needed. The Army, Air Force, & Navy are all very good at what they do, but moving quickly isn't one of them.

That's all I'm going to say so as not to hijack the guys thread.

BTW... good luck at OCS/TBS and I hope you qualify for flight training.

PI HAT - When were you down there? I pushed platoons at 2nd Bn between 1989 and 1991 (was also a WSSI at Spt Bn for a bit).

Marc
Old 08-09-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dimedsbc
Air force only wants a technical degree and mine is in business ;-)
Old 08-09-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, if all Marines should be on the ground, what about your close air support you're going to want from the Cobras and Harriers when you're running up a beach and taking fire? Someone's gotta do it.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
Air force only wants a technical degree and mine is in business ;-)
Not true. My degree is in Geography and I still got a pilot slot out of AF OTS.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do Marine Air. I spent a week at TBS with a bunch of my friends over the summer. All of them are flight contracts. The 46/53 guys were awesome to watch, but if you got in a Cobra, that would be PIMP.

Good luck with it all. OCS is something else but TBS is where it all comes through.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dimedsbc
I kindly disagree. There are a TON of flying spots in the Corps, from Cobras/Osprey, to F-18's and Hueys.

Originally Posted by PI HAT
I agree, real Marines are on the ground. I dont want to stir up the pot but, lets face realism.
Well I can certainly see where you think that, but as a ground/Air task force, it would be hard to be who you are these days without your Cobra guys up above. Look at the current 2-4 MEU tearing up Afghanistan right now.

That is what made the Marines so great, having Air/Ground/Water and utilizing it all.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Coolest part about being on an Amphib is watching the MV-22s and AV-8s take off and land. But Cobras are straight pimp like BigBronco said.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
When? I just went and the recruiter was less than optimistic. Told me flat out non-technicals are getting to be few and far between.

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Do Marine Air. I spent a week at TBS with a bunch of my friends over the summer. All of them are flight contracts. The 46/53 guys were awesome to watch, but if you got in a Cobra, that would be PIMP.

Good luck with it all. OCS is something else but TBS is where it all comes through.
Thanks for the support . This is something I have always wanted to do so I'm not going to let myself or anybody down. You should see the amount of study material I have for the ASTB

I think anything air would be a dream job but if I got assigned a cobra or f-18 I would seriously jizz my pants. An attack helicopter or fighter pilot.....Seriously is there a more bad *** job out there? I think not.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

When? I just went and the recruiter was less than optimistic. Told me flat out non-technicals are getting to be few and far between.
Got selected in Dec 2006, went to OTS in Jan of this year. I didn't say it wasn't hard to get, but it is obtainable depending on how well your package looks to the board. Nothing says you can't apply to more than one board at once. Try AF and Marines and see who picks you up.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
aww, the good ole days. It's very close to impossible to get a pilot slot without a technical degree now. I have a MBA with a 3.88 GPA and I cant even get accepted to OTS let alone get a pilot slot.

This all started with "force shaping".
Old 08-12-2008, 12:53 PM
FOG
Teching In

Lickey,

Your package should be for ground, air, or law when it leaves the OSO’s office. On the medical don’t lie, if it is found out you have lied then it is false official statement and no commission or resignation.

The USMC has lower GPA standards but higher test standards than the other services for flight school. The basic theory is that the USMC is pretty good at motivating you to succeed.

The Marines do considerably better than their equivalents as normed if flight school for a number of reasons. Some of the USAF types have come through programs that have given them private pilots licenses at approximately 100 hrs. with a military bent and that gives them an advantage in primary. The numbers do not show this advantage holds until wings.

One of the disadvantages of the USMC is that a vast majority end up with jet grades, as the percentages are based on total students of which the Marines are a relatively small percentage. This means the USMC has “drafts” where almost everyone for a period is flying a helo, then almost everyone is going down the jet pipeline with an occasional Herk thrown in. If you are the number one grad you have better than even odds of selecting the pipeline of your choice.

Good luck.

S/F, FOG
Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well guys I settled on what I'm gonna try for, Marine Officer :-)

I would kill to get a pilot spot and I feel like I can do well enough on the ASTB to grant that. Having said that has anyone taken it? And would those that have perhaps have any recommendations?

I go for the medical screening on the 10th of next month and will be taking the ASTB probably a month after that if I pass. Anything I need to know about the medical screening?

I've got my 3 miles in the 19 min range and I'm pretty close to maxing out pull ups and crunches. Besides that I just have to finish up my last few classes with school and hopefully I'll go to OCS next summer :-) I get pumped thinking about it

Good for you, we always need squared away officers. Don't forget where you came from.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FOG
Your package should be for ground, air, or law when it leaves the OSO’s office. On the medical don’t lie, if it is found out you have lied then it is false official statement and no commission or resignation.

The USMC has lower GPA standards but higher test standards than the other services for flight school. The basic theory is that the USMC is pretty good at motivating you to succeed.

The Marines do considerably better than their equivalents as normed if flight school for a number of reasons. Some of the USAF types have come through programs that have given them private pilots licenses at approximately 100 hrs. with a military bent and that gives them an advantage in primary. The numbers do not show this advantage holds until wings.

One of the disadvantages of the USMC is that a vast majority end up with jet grades, as the percentages are based on total students of which the Marines are a relatively small percentage. This means the USMC has “drafts” where almost everyone for a period is flying a helo, then almost everyone is going down the jet pipeline with an occasional Herk thrown in. If you are the number one grad you have better than even odds of selecting the pipeline of your choice.

Good luck.

S/F, FOG
Thanks for the encouragement and advice . I'm an excellent tester but ok in the grades department. It sounds like the USMC might have been the best choice to begin with.

I take it your a marine?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:22 PM
FOG
Teching In

Lickeyman,

After OCS and TBS you will have the discipline to study. Get a small group of Marines to study with and you will do fine. Do not be afraid to hanger fly hops before hand, memorize things in the cockpit blind folded (to include accomplishing EPs).

You can party later.

That is assuming you do not like ground USMC and drop your air contract. I’d advise against that as USMC pilots are in high demand for ground tours far beyond the normal FAC tours due to TBS (and IOC if there are slots available). These slots are not just USMC but SOCOM, etc.

Yes I am a Marine and another word of advice is capitalize Marine or be prepared for extra attention.

S/F, FOG
Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Go for it and good luck!

FWIW to the nay sayers above... direct from the Marine's Hymn "in the air, on land and sea"

Semper Fidelis!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FOG
Lickeyman,

After OCS and TBS you will have the discipline to study. Get a small group of Marines to study with and you will do fine. Do not be afraid to hanger fly hops before hand, memorize things in the cockpit blind folded (to include accomplishing EPs).

You can party later.

That is assuming you do not like ground USMC and drop your air contract. I’d advise against that as USMC pilots are in high demand for ground tours far beyond the normal FAC tours due to TBS (and IOC if there are slots available). These slots are not just USMC but SOCOM, etc.

Yes I am a Marine and another word of advice is capitalize Marine or be prepared for extra attention.

S/F, FOG
Yes sir. Marine it is. Not that much of a party guy so that won't be a problem. So I'll be allowed to sit in the aircraft and study?

And how do you serve the Marines? You seem to be quite knowledgeable on the subject.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:17 PM
FOG
Teching In

Lickey,

Currently AD in Ft. Worth w/medical issues. Things that could have been addressed by navy medicine false statements, tests listed as done but not, etc. let to unnecessary surgery...

Was sent here in 04 as a squadron was deploying to Iraq. Basically either air or ground tours with one CSS tour (outside of schools of course).

On studying in the actual aircraft, yes you can. Part of it is almost rote memorization of what is where, what it does, etc.

Good luck.

S/F, FOG

Quick Reply: Applying for Marine Officer