Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tial Q/50mm BOV on a C6 Procharger kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:24 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tial Q/50mm BOV on a C6 Procharger kit?

I've had some say BOVs won't work on a supercharged kit and some say they do. That BOVs are intended for turbos and bypass valves are intended for superchargers. I haven't personally seen one in person, but I have seen several supercharged C6s with BOVs on the net.

Is there anything different that you would have to do for installation/adjustment when installing one in a supercharged application?

The 7 lb. spring seems to be the most used spring, why is this?

From the ones I've seen, they've all been mounted on the piping/ducting from the intercooler going to the throttle body.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I've had some say BOVs won't work on a supercharged kit and some say they do. That BOVs are intended for turbos and bypass valves are intended for superchargers. I haven't personally seen one in person, but I have seen several supercharged C6s with BOVs on the net.

Is there anything different that you would have to do for installation/adjustment when installing one in a supercharged application?

The 7 lb. spring seems to be the most used spring, why is this?

From the ones I've seen, they've all been mounted on the piping/ducting from the intercooler going to the throttle body.
It will work,I have a tial 50mmbov on my 05 gto,so why would it not work they work off of vaccume,which would be same as I am using ported vaccume after the throttle body.I simply have it placed after the intercooler before the throttle blade and a 3/8 vac.line running too it,I have a turbo setup actually twins ,i also have them in the rear of the car with twin 38mm tial waste gates.all the BOV does is release pressue when you let off the throttle works the same the blower wont stop spinning so it releases the extra boost pressure.make sure u run at least a 3/8 line for the vaccume,ive learned never to skimp on line size.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

You can run either on a turbo set-up, but you don't want to run a bov on a supercharger set-up, it's harder on the blower. If you search you can find a ton of posts on why.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

If you want to see a BOV on a blown setup in person, let me know. You're on my side of town.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club NA

Spritle, what type of BOV are you running? Any pics?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

I run the ProCharger Big Red Bypass Valve on my C5, but my buddy runs the Tial 50mm BOV on his C6. I was giong to change, but I got mine to work close enough to what I wanted out of the Tial. He or I would be willing to meet up with you with his car to show you. See pic below just past the shroud on the charge pipe to the T-Body.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone else running a BOV on a supercharged setup? I don't want to spend $300 for a BOV then ruin a several thousand dollar system.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the spring rate, make sure you have the right one, my car measures about 55kpa at idle, which translates into -16.2 in/Hg at idle, per Tial I need a 9psi spring (http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_bov50_sp.pdf), which I have. Get a scanner and read your kpa value at idle, plug it into this page (http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calcula...ssureunits.htm) then look at the value at in/Hg, then compare it to the Tial recommendation and there is the spring you need.

Anyone else running a BOV on a supercharged setup? I don't want to spend $300 for a BOV then ruin a several thousand dollar system.
I have a Tial 50mm on my setup, I'll get some pictures when I get the car back. Some people say that the BOV, since it doesn't flutter, puts pressure on the impeller at partial throttle, slowing it down as the air has no where to vent. Others say that it doesn't and that it vents into the engine like it's suppose to, so like anything there are 2 sides to it. I have a BOV because I got a deal on it and the ATI BPV that came with the kit wasn't going to cut it.

A local guy has had a BOV on his mid 500RWHP car for years and no issues, though my goals are more than that .

Last edited by 'Trust'; 08-10-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 AM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone else want to comment?

Those with the Tial Q/50mm, what spring are you using?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rufretic
You can run either on a turbo set-up, but you don't want to run a bov on a supercharger set-up, it's harder on the blower. If you search you can find a ton of posts on why.

I agree 100%, just log IAT temps and you'll see why-even with the lightest spring the Tial will not fully open at idle and cruise. And when you want to make big jam the tiny spring won't hold the boost.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

I replaced the vortec mondo BOV on my procharged z06 with a tial 50mm and it works perfect.

the important thing to remember is that you need to match the spring pressure from your old BOV to the new one. thats assuming your old BOV was working properly. for me it was, so it was just a matter of measuing the vacuum it takes to open the old BOV and make sure the Tial did the same.

at idle the car is a little quieter since the tial vents the air in 360* vs. one direction for the mondo. Also when crusing I can feel a difference in part throttle acceleration as the tial SLAMS shut at about -10", or anytime I'm more then 25% on the throttle, which is just what it should do, and stays perfectly closed until redline when i shift.

all you hear @ WOT is the SC sucking air... the a loud KKKUUUUSSSSHHHH as you lift off the throttle and release the pressure. sounds sick!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

This seems to be the FI guys version of the Nitrous guys "wet vs dry" debate.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else want to comment?

Those with the Tial Q/50mm, what spring are you using?
Did you get a measurement of kpa at idle? What setup do you have? I know I said so already but in case you skipped over it. Mine is a 9psi spring. The only real way to tell for you is to measure vacuum at idle, doing it another way is just guessing and that might cost you in the long run (cost you another spring I mean, not like blowing up your motor).
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tial 50mm here 11lb spring... the spring that you use is dependent on how many inches of vacuum your car pulls... Tial has a chart that shows the recommended spring for each vacuum amount...

Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club NA

'Trust', the kit is in the process of being built, so I don't have it just yet. I was wanting to get the BOV/BPV situated and ordered so that it gets here before/around the time the supercharger gets here.

Mr.Big, where's a good source/place to measure the vacuum? Dipstick with a hose?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

'Trust', the kit is in the process of being built, so I don't have it just yet. I was wanting to get the BOV/BPV situated and ordered so that it gets here before/around the time the supercharger gets here.

Mr.Big, where's a good source/place to measure the vacuum? Dipstick with a hose?
A good place to measure the vacuum is at the HVAC feed line. Its on the drivers side, right behind the TB.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Drag,
I always run a boost gauge on my F.I. builds, so that's the easy one for me... Never had to go any other route, as it's right there on the gauge...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 AM
9 Second Club NA

Yeah, but I'm looking for vacuum not boost.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

the famous gauges are the ones that show both vaccum - 0 - boost, so that shows you the vaccum at idle, partial throttle, hits 0 as soon as you slam the pedal and increases as your SC starts boosting.

There are gauges with NO vaccum readings too which is why you got a little confused?

Anyways, I ran an HKS SSQV on my SC C6Z and it worked fine. With that one you dont need any adjustments at all and it sounds wicked.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

ayousef, yes, there are gages that display boost only. Do you happen to have a sound/video clip of the BOV?

Quick Reply: Tial Q/50mm BOV on a C6 Procharger kit?