Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynatech Suppermaxx Instaled, long

Old 08-08-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynatech Suppermaxx Instaled, long

well the box has been sitting in my garage for a couple of months and i used this time off of work to put it in. man am i glad i took time off.

i read of a guy who said it took him 8 hours to instal his in his own garage but i don't remember if he had a vert or not. it took me aprox 30 hours to do mine.

i was really looking for a bolt off and bolt on kind of thing. i mean for 1400 bucks come on.

i decided to see if the y pipe would fit my hooker cat-back first, and it didn't. the install guide STRONGLY suggested an exhaust pipe expander, now i know why. i could not find such a thing here and ended up cutting the sides to let it strech. i finally got it in. i also had to cut an inch off the single side of the y. i tried the chain pipe cutter but the wheels just wondered around the pipe, too strong i guess. a guy that saw what i was doing told me it would be a better cut if i used a hack saw, ha. i ended up using a side grinder and wala.

as i was taking the cats off 3 of the bolts snapped and i though, this is the point of no return now.

i almost forgot to take the oil tube out. man i was pulling the hell out of the tube, it would not budge. i used 1 hand 2 hands, nothing. i was sitting on my intake pondering how i was going to take this little tube out. i had the tube between my thumb and index finger wiggling it and all of a sudden it basically pops out on its own. i could not help but to laugh. the guy that works there came over to see if i was losing it. he laughed too.

now the headers. the install guide said to take them out from the top. wtf are they smoking, their breakfast? i could barely fit my wrist in through the top. out from the bottom they went.

the pass egr pipes was a real treat. the header and the pipes had to come out as one piece and they did.

dyna's header had the fitting too low but of course i didn't know this until i had it in the car. yep out it went. the bottom pipe was hitting the aluminum a/c compressor lines. i didn't want to mess with the fitting unless they had a tig welder i could use just in case. they had one but they didn't tell me they were out of argon. good thing i didn't snap the thing off. be **** people, do you have a tig welder-yes, do you have filler rod-yes, do you have tips-yes, do you have gas-no, ah ha. i put a rod in a vise and slowly bent it towards itself. it's sitting about 1/16 away now.

the driver's side was a breeze. i lost a header bolt but i had the original as back ups. i used the new gaskets and bolts btw.

the headers fit beautifully, the exhaust tubes that connect to it is another story. the driver's tube was the most difficult. i had to put it in a vise. i took a big pipe and had a guy help me bent the angle about an inch more. i bent without kinks, is that how you spell kink? then i had to cut about an inch of it as well. dammm all this cutting and bending and here i though it was going to be a quick bolt off and on. 1400 bucks right...

the verts have a factory x bracing underneath for support. yep i had to bend that too. i could not get the y to clear it. i beat the hell out of it till i cleared. i didn't want to cut that part.

now for the final band clamps. they look cool but they leaked really bad. turns out all you have to do is tighten the hell out of them and the leaks go away, cool

now, between 4-5 hours a day, 5 days later, and a nice collection of cuts/srapes/bruises the kit is on. now that i mention bruises. i was washing my hands one time and i could not get rid of this one grease stain. yep it was a bruise.

i must admit, mated with the hooker cat-back, it does sound awesome. i did not put dyna's power cats on. i got the thunder racing straight pipes instead. i'll bolt the cats on just before she gets her annual smog test. not too loud, unless i romp on it. anything past 70 mph driving gets a bit loud though. the amount of hp must be nice too, i feel it.

next is the asp under drive pulley. i don't know how i'm going to do that yet. the hobby shop doesn't have a torque wrench that will go up to 150 ft lbs.

well i hope i didn't bore anybody with my story. i took a few not too good of pictures if anyone asks. if you have any questions hit me up...

Old 08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Supermaxx on my vert and didn't have any issues at all. Glad you got it all worked out though.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Super Maxx here too very nice headers. I just junked the y pipe and built a 3" x pipe setup.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

So from these stories, if you had to do it over again would you still go Supermaxx or would you choose Kooks/ARH?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by omcar
So from these stories, if you had to do it over again would you still go Supermaxx or would you choose Kooks/ARH?
I would. I like the looks and fit. It also comes with the headers, cats and y pipe. I got mine for less than I would have if I had purchased them seperately.

Search this Thread