Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What do you think about this stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What do you think about this stuff...

My current set up is a Sony CDX-GT610 UI, Infinity Two-Way speakers (model unknown) and an Eclipse 3640 amp. The speakers and amp came with the car when I bought it, and I bought the Sony HU mainly because of the USB and iPod connection.

I know the Sony HU is not very good; in fact, the only reason why I bought it was it was one of the few HU with a front USB, front Aux and an iPod connector. Even so, this setup sounds like pure junk and it's hard to adjust the fade/balance. I was going to take the amp out until I saw this:

What do you guys think? I mainly listen to jazz and talk radio, mainly using my iPod and Sirius receiver, and I don’t crank it up very loud. Is this a good amp or should I just yank it and try to fix the wiring? Are Infinity speakers good? The speakers under the hatch panels are not connected.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that picture answers why the aftermarket amp is there. I just don't understand why people butcher wiring when all they had to do was disconnect it if they didn't want to use it.
The Eclipse 3640 amp is a good 4-channel amp so that is not your problem. The Sony is a decent entry level HU with alot of functionality but not the best sound quality.
With that level of hatchetry though I suspect the install. First off the Sony only has a 2channel preamp output and the amp is a 4-channel but you can use a Y-splitter to get all 4-channel working if this hasn't been done already so you can add some rear speakers to the mix which would help balance things a bit.
The Infinity speakers are ok. They are a love/hate thing. Some like them, some (like me) do not. I have had 3 pairs in my doors over the years to see if I could find a pair I liked and none of them offered good midbass and the highs were harsh sounding. Keep in mind though that the way a speaker sound varies from individual to individual so this is mearly my opinion.
If it were me I'd keep the HU and the amp, get some new speakers and see what it sounds like with all 4 corners working for you (doors and sail panels). If it doesn't sound right after that I would then go with a different HU because while that Eclipse amp is not a super powerful amp (about 60watts x 4 rms) but it does make clean power and should be enough to power a decent speaker. I would not recommend that amp to power a subwoofer though, for component speakers it would be fine.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

^^^Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend I start stripping out the old install, including the wiring and start over? I'm pretty good at taking apart the interior so I'm not scared to do that. Should new wiring been used through out instead of splicing into the factory wiring? What price-efficient speakers do you recommend, and finally, should the rear hatch speakers also be wired in because they aren't with the current install.

I'm going to try to find a schematic for the original wiring so I can "fix" the butchering somewhat because it's bugging me for some reason.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is always better to use new wiring. for your mids/highs you should use 16 gauge, while factory is 18 or sometimes 20.

like mr. keeaudio (sorry i dont know your name) said, looking at that pic, the install must be a butcher job. id hate to see how the power wire is run, where its grounded to, and what RCAs are being used.

i recommend a new 8 gauge power kit (unless you are adding another amp for a sub) and some nice shielded RCAs. since your battery is on passenger side, the pwoer wire needs to be run through that side. so then run your RCAs down the drivers side.

make sure that you have an inline fise less than 18 inches from the battery, and it is the rated size for that amplifier. anywhere you run it through drilled metal make sure it has a grommet.

any more questions be sure to ask.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks! It will be a couple of weeks before I start ripping this stuff out but I'll keep you guys posted w/pics.