Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS turbo Systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STS turbo Systems

I'm wanting to get a turbo system for my 01 transam.

My car has a rebuilt performance tranny with maybe 5,000 miles on it, and a k&n air filter and eibach lowering springs. everything else is stock as far as i know. I've been looking alot into the STS turbo systems and have read alot of good and ALOT of bad things about them. Input please?

Basically i just want a quick car that i can drive around everyday and race around with on the weekends.

I could care less about huge horse power numbers or going 120+mph i just want a car that takes off like a rocket when i hit the gas pedal and one that i dont have to worry about fixing or replacing all the time because i'm not incredibly mechanically inclined.

What do you guys suggest for a guy like me who never intends on owning a car with over 600 hp
Old 08-09-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my STS for years, and I like it a lot. It's best attribute, IMHO, is that I did not have to move a thing under the hood. No A/C delete, no alternator relocation, nothing. Stock exhaust manifolds did not have to be touched. Basically, a simple bolt-in. I have yet to see any under-the-hood systems be able to say that. They may be out there, but I have not seen them.
With a wrapped exhaust, turbo lag is virtually nil.
However, it is not recommended for lowered cars.
And if you do get one, you have to fix their stupid oil pump mount or it will whine like a banshee. I can't hear mine over the fuel pump since I fixed mine.
This is not an endorsement, just my experience. Like all F/I systems, it has its shortcomings. But they can be overcome.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Launching!

yes good point on mounting the oil pump.. you need to use true rubber isolators or it will vibrate the metal on the car. honestly the sts pump isnt all that loud compared to some other huge pumps.

hey nova believe it or not my gas mileage went UP after installing the kit, well not if your racing around, but for daily driving.

my kit is still for sale and trust me it will save alota hassle and clearance problems over buying the kit from sts directly. and they charge double the price for less.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Had a STS on my Camaro for 2.5 years. Enjoyed it for the most part.

I will tell you that you either want to bring your car back to stock ride height or think another form of FI. You will not be happy with the STS kit on a lowered car. It will probably have about 3-4 inches ground clearance at most......and that's being set up properly.

Honestly, for DD and occasional track use, might want to check out the Maggie kit. The ATI is another option to keep a semblence of ground clearance w/ a lowered car. It has it's own issues (belt slip), but that's another story.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Launching!

while ground clearance is something to think about, if your car is lowered properly with .. i believe their called progressive coil springs , and stiffer shocks, chances of bottoming out are the same, or possible less than stock. (unless you got a crazy 3inch drop or something)
Old 08-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Schantin
Had a STS on my Camaro for 2.5 years. Enjoyed it for the most part.

I will tell you that you either want to bring your car back to stock ride height or think another form of FI. You will not be happy with the STS kit on a lowered car. It will probably have about 3-4 inches ground clearance at most......and that's being set up properly.

Honestly, for DD and occasional track use, might want to check out the Maggie kit. The ATI is another option to keep a semblence of ground clearance w/ a lowered car. It has it's own issues (belt slip), but that's another story.
Thanks for the feedback man.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can buy my front mount turbo kit =) orrrr my buddies Procharger setup. PM me for more info!!! im sure either of the kits i just mentioned will be great for you for a daily driver!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a sts kit i just put on my car, my car is also lowered in the front and i havent scraped with my car. Its fun i like it.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Do you have any problems with lag or does it spool up pretty quick? how was the install? pro's/cons ?

Whats a maggie kit? turbo or supercharger ? (gunna google it)

Originally Posted by Boosted 99 TA
i have a sts kit i just put on my car, my car is also lowered in the front and i havent scraped with my car. Its fun i like it.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Launching!

hey nova there are 2 things that really determine lag on a turbo setup, one is the size of the turbo of course, and the second is something called the a/r ratio of the turbine. a ratio like 1.06 a/r will spool much later than a .68 a/r.. so it depends on where your looking to make power, on a stock motor / automatic i wouldnt wanna rev past 6500 so a lower a/r would be more practical..

a maggie is a type of supercharger that bolts on to the top of your engine, it takes the place of the intake manifold and is belt driven. just very recently a company started making one that actually somehow fits under the hood / cowl of an fbody. (this has always been a problem because of how far back the engine sits.. the downside is having to lower your k member, and cutting the cowl alittle
Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

the install was fairly easy, theres not much to it, i bought the kit used from a friend. its pretty easy to do. I wrapped my exhaust so the turbo lag isn't to bad but i do have a small exhaust leak, i spool up by 2500rpm. it is the standard 60-1 turbo that comes wtih the kit but its doing a good job. i am thinkin about doing a front mount turbo though just because i wanna make more serious powerthan i am making now. but the sts is a good way to go for a dd.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Teching In

You guys frickin rock. Thanks for the info, first hand experience and explanations. Much appreciated.

Drew

Originally Posted by jeffboy757
hey nova there are 2 things that really determine lag on a turbo setup, one is the size of the turbo of course, and the second is something called the a/r ratio of the turbine. a ratio like 1.06 a/r will spool much later than a .68 a/r.. so it depends on where your looking to make power, on a stock motor / automatic i wouldnt wanna rev past 6500 so a lower a/r would be more practical..

a maggie is a type of supercharger that bolts on to the top of your engine, it takes the place of the intake manifold and is belt driven. just very recently a company started making one that actually somehow fits under the hood / cowl of an fbody. (this has always been a problem because of how far back the engine sits.. the downside is having to lower your k member, and cutting the cowl alittle
Originally Posted by Boosted 99 TA
the install was fairly easy, theres not much to it, i bought the kit used from a friend. its pretty easy to do. I wrapped my exhaust so the turbo lag isn't to bad but i do have a small exhaust leak, i spool up by 2500rpm. it is the standard 60-1 turbo that comes wtih the kit but its doing a good job. i am thinkin about doing a front mount turbo though just because i wanna make more serious powerthan i am making now. but the sts is a good way to go for a dd.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

There is always the Incon TT kit. See my sig
Old 08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jeffboy757

how much are you selling it for?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Heard alot of great things about the Incon turbo kits but they are a little bit more expensive and seem capable of putting out alot more horse than i will ever need/want. And also i heard they went out of business 4 years ago... how is a company that made such a great turbo kit out of business? that makes me a little uneasy as far as getting an incon turbo kit. that and finding replacement parts would be seemingly difficult.

Drew

Originally Posted by big reg
There is always the Incon TT kit. See my sig
Old 08-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The_Wretched
how much are you selling it for?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=sts+turbo
Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

we are direct with percesion turbo im sure they have a good setup for your car but i would have to do some hunting
Old 08-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Teching In

When talking to STS directly recently they told me that the F-Body system has been completely redesigned with an intercooler, relocated air filter, comes complete with injectors and a tuner. Now near $6K! Is anybody using this 'new" system?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DWCamaro69
When talking to STS directly recently they told me that the F-Body system has been completely redesigned with an intercooler, relocated air filter, comes complete with injectors and a tuner. Now near $6K! Is anybody using this 'new" system?
wow, I need to raise my price then......
Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1320
wow, I need to raise my price then......
I think it was $5500 delivered. They also say they will work on lowered cars now as the ground clearance is much better. It is hard to pull the trigger with the negative experience some members here have had as I don't want problems, I want the power without it becoming unreliable.

Quick Reply: STS turbo Systems