Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a stock WRX

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raced a stock WRX

Raced a stock WRX (NON STI) lastnight, im not sure on the year or if it was Auto or Manual. Didnt look like it was the newer body styles, probably a couple years old.

im cruising around and get stuck behind a slow *** driving car. Speed limit's 45 and im stuck at 30, finally car switches lanes and i speed up to 45. I see in my rearview a car switch into my lane, come hauling *** right up behind me. then switch into the right lane and get beside me. So i speed back up as i let off the gas while lookin at this car for a bit, then he hit's it and flys right by me. So i hit it and catch back up to him....Finally hit a red light. im lookin at the car and notice its a black WRX, non STI though. He through a rev and i edged the car up a bit. Light hits green, we take off and i probably got my best take off in a long time & stayed right next to him (for a manual, im sure it wouldve jumped out ahead of me) and finally i put the pedal to the floor and start pulling on him pretty easy (surprised me, if it was a Manual. he probably missed a gear?) Idk, but I ended up about atleast a full car lenght ahead and going on more before i hit the brakes.

I was happy i won yet surprised, shouldnt this have been a better race?? Or are the STI's that much better then a regular WRX?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Teching In

I've never actually seen an automatic WRX but I know the exist. Odds are it was stick just because most of them are. The auto's are dogs without mods.

You didn't say what you went up to, but only a car ahead? That's not too much unless you only went up to 60-80, considering the WRX is a ~220 hp car. The STi on the other hand is a totally different car, and has an extra ~80 hp. Dunno, this doesn't sound like what the result should be. You should walk a stock WRX pretty hard.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should destroy a stock WRX. They are about as slow as my DD. I ran a catback SS and it wasn't pretty so I wouldn't imagine a WRX doing any better.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
You should destroy a stock WRX. They are about as slow as my DD. I ran a catback SS and it wasn't pretty so I wouldn't imagine a WRX doing any better.
Catback SS or STi? I took down an STi in my car, which is far from quick. But the problem with a lot of the STi's I see seems to be the driver. Because I jumped a car off the line on the guy from a dig, which is retarded from an AWD car.

I've never driven an Evo or STi personally, but I don't see any reason why you should ever be outlaunched by a RWD/FWD car unless you're some kind of moron.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

They are very different actually, particularly if it was an earliery generation WRX.
Significant power difference though either way and I'd imagine a WRX would bog down due to it's low power and you should have walked him much harder...
Old 08-09-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yeaa i didnt notice how fast i was going, but it wouldve been around 60 to 80 as you said MyStangIsSlow. I was pulling on him more but figured he was already slowing down. So i hit the brakes....

It just surprised the hell out of me that i stuck right next to him on takeoff. I expected for him to launch out the gates and me having to play catch up but nope.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly it should have been more than just a car lenght.

A regular WRX in stock form has about 170-180WHP. Your car should have around 300WHP. Considering the weight difference is only a couple hundred pounds, you should have annihilated him. Like to the point where it doesn't look like he was even racing
Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Honestly it should have been more than just a car lenght.

A regular WRX in stock form has about 170-180WHP. Your car should have around 300WHP. Considering the weight difference is only a couple hundred pounds, you should have annihilated him. Like to the point where it doesn't look like he was even racing
This man speaks truth. When I was stalled auto I ran a early 00's WRX (the one with the wierd round headlights) from a dig at a light, he wasn't even remotely close.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:24 PM
***Repost Police***

I pulled a bit on a stock WRX from a 60mph roll in my old stock '94 Integra GS-R... you honestly should have raped him. Maybe he wasn't as stock as you thought he was?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyStangIsSlow
Catback SS or STi? I took down an STi in my car, which is far from quick. But the problem with a lot of the STi's I see seems to be the driver. Because I jumped a car off the line on the guy from a dig, which is retarded from an AWD car.

I've never driven an Evo or STi personally, but I don't see any reason why you should ever be outlaunched by a RWD/FWD car unless you're some kind of moron.
It wasn't pretty for me I meant ( against the SS). By 60 or 70 he musta had 4 cars on me at least.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Buy a superchip power programmer and forget about STIs let alone WRXs. Trust me. I never should have sold my TA.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock WRX's do 14.5's in the 1/4, you should have raped him.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yea man no worries towards a wrx. there just dam slow.... ive raced ones pretty much stock and ones with mods and pretty much killed them. the only one that was somewhat close was an 07 wrx manual that had a sti turbo and exhaust n some other mods i forgot was. went from a 30mph roll and just instantly jumped and kept on going.

good kill though. but yea def should of been by more car lengths. more like BUSES!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

It was most likely a bugeye. I wanna say they were around '99-'02 but I am not sure (no STIs in this model). But how do you know it was a STOCK WRX? Once modded those things can be pretty quick, especially the newer models. Pretty much all they need is a turbo upgrade w pipes and exhaust. If it was a WRX it was most likely modded if you only put a car on him.. But even then it should have been more if it was the earlier style. You should just assume it was a modded WRX and call it good. Like everyone else said they are slow. But all in all good kill.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should have beat him by waaay more.

i can beat stock wrx's in my bone stock edge gt (5 spd)
Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 71-Camaro-98
It was most likely a bugeye. I wanna say they were around '99-'02 but I am not sure (no STIs in this model). But how do you know it was a STOCK WRX? Once modded those things can be pretty quick, especially the newer models. Pretty much all they need is a turbo upgrade w pipes and exhaust. If it was a WRX it was most likely modded if you only put a car on him.. But even then it should have been more if it was the earlier style. You should just assume it was a modded WRX and call it good. Like everyone else said they are slow. But all in all good kill.
Well it seemed pretty stock. When he through that rev at the stop light, i didnt hear no turbo sound or even a loud exhaust. So i assumed it was stock..
Old 08-10-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

I probably didnt judge the distance i had on him correctly, so it was probably more then a car length. It does get kinda hard to see just how far ahead you are lol but yeaa, the car seemed stock.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Stock WRXs are slow but they can still launch pretty hard with a good driver. It has a small turbo so it has nice low end torque (for a 4-banger ) but runs out of steam fast.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

"it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or by a mile... winning's winning"
Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Teching In

I doubt it was stock if it kept up that well. As everyone else said a stock WRX has no chance abouts an LS1.

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
yea man no worries towards a wrx. there just dam slow.... ive raced ones pretty much stock and ones with mods and pretty much killed them. the only one that was somewhat close was an 07 wrx manual that had a sti turbo and exhaust n some other mods i forgot was. went from a 30mph roll and just instantly jumped and kept on going.

good kill though. but yea def should of been by more car lengths. more like BUSES!
Kind of an open statement don't you think? I don't consider my WRX slow. In fact I'm pretty sure with the numbers listed in your sig that I would take you in the 1/4 mile. What have you run? I've run mid 12's.