Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long tube headers

Well i got some news today that was equivalent to a swift kick to the nuts. If i want to do my rear mount turbo, I need to get rid of my long tube headers. Is there any way around this? And if I have to get rid of them do I need to get shorties or mid lengths?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shdybrady1988
Well i got some news today that was equivalent to a swift kick to the nuts. If i want to do my rear mount turbo, I need to get rid of my long tube headers. Is there any way around this? And if I have to get rid of them do I need to get shorties or mid lengths?
Well u dont need to get rid of them if you dont want to. I still have mine on because I did not want to lose the money I just spent on headers Not even 6 months before the turbo.

Yes it will hurt the spool time(lag), but it depends on a lot more. For me some lag is good lets me hook. I ran mine with a 3inch y with cats on it for a while with a .96 housing and made full boost by 4000rpms, too laggy for me, but good top end. I could only get about 4psi brake boosting it in 2nd. Turns out that y had a big crack in it, but still hit 9psi and made 550rwhp.

So later on I had the y switched out for a smaller(2.5inch) one with no cats all the way to the turbo. Made the car louder, but the turbo spooled so much quicker and I was able to reach full boost by brake boosting it in 2nd. Did not get enough time with it as the turbo took a poop. Turns out welding slag was in the new pipe and finally went through the turbo. I am now awaiting my tc76 with a .81 housing for even faster spool.

With all that being said the factory manifolds will spool it quicker but you will you will most likely have to much power to soon and just spin especially on the street. Lag equals traction lol.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Search for Zombie's post on this also.

Jim
Old 08-11-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

I have an exhaust setup with shorty headers all the way to the rear of the car that is ready to mount a rear mount turbo (has a T4 flange on the over axle pipe also) Turbo sits right behind the differential cover etc... PM me for more info. You can buy my rear mount exhaust setup and sell your long tubes and it will work out much better for you that way however you look at it (especially money-wise). I have the cold side charge piping for a rear mount setup as well to go with it if needed. Lemme know !!!!!!!!!! thanks

Quick Reply: Long tube headers