Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have some questions.

I am not too familiar with radios and speakers. I know how to change the speakers, and thats about it. I have a 94 Formula and i'm not too sure if its a "monsoon" sterio system. I have the 2 speakers in the rear hatch area, and my old 94 Camaro didnt have those, which led me to think thats what I have. I dont know anything more about it.

A guy I know said he would give me the stock speakers out of his 98-02 Z28 Camaro (had a monsoon system in it). My question is, will I be abe to use them in my 94 Formula? Will the connections be the same? And what about the head unit or radio itself? Will that work in it as well?

Thanks,
- Mike
Old 08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The head unit is interchangeable - it's just an ordinary Delco unit with a label that says Monsoon - but it won't match your interior.

The speakers aren't interchangeable. First of all, you don't have a Monsoon system since they weren't available until 97 (you have the optional 10-speaker premium audio system). Second, even if you did have a Monsoon system, the speakers are different between Camaro and Firebird versions.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn. Thanks for the info.

- Mike
Old 08-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Monsoon speakers aren't any better quality then the ones you have anyway. Same contruction materials were used in those speakers. That is probably why he was willing to give them away. Even a cheaper set of aftermarket speakers would perform as well or better in most cases.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think 4 of my speakers are on their way out, so thats why I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to do this. Thanks for the info.

- Mike