Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright, for those of you who have killed the rasp....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright, for those of you who have killed the rasp....

i have American Racing LT's (1 and 7/8th) into an AR off-road y into a borla catback...

Now before you tell me all the rasp is from a shitty merge on the y pipe, this is the AR y-pipe, granted its no flowmaster merge, but its better than most y pipes out there....atleast as far as a merge is concerned....

ive tried changing the the plate in the borla, i can kill the rasp with the closed plate but it is SO quiet its close to being stock again, which sucks....

Im thinking of doing a borla XR-1 in the y somewhere but i dont know where, i figure the xr-1 would let me keep some of the borla tone i love while killing the rasp....

Im open to other suggestions, besides eating several hundred dollars to put stainless steel cats on, when my shop advised me against it...

But i can say below 2K rpms, and at full throttle, AR headers =
Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

I have kooks long tubes and no cats. After the merge i have a borla xr-1. Its not very loud at all even dumped. But i dont have much if any rasp.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

you're running a straight pipe....of course you have rasp...

the XR1 should help, but you could probably accomplish similar results with a much cheaper bullet. summit sells a 24" version, although even an 18" dynomax would work.

my suggestion...get a better exhaust....TDs all the way
Old 08-10-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so the xr1 kills sound that much huh? im afraid of killing the volume to kill the rasp....maybe a different inline muffler i should look at....

EDIT:

the XR1 should help, but you could probably accomplish similar results with a much cheaper bullet. summit sells a 24" version, although even an 18" dynomax would work.

my suggestion...get a better exhaust....TDs all the way
I've been thinking about it, i had the same combination on my 97 with about the same rasp, it just grenaded before i had a chance to address it.... im hearing that magnaflow kills alot of rasp....

Any suggestions on good catbacks for LT's is appreciated...
Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest... i hear a lot of Borla's with rasp to em... i think that's where your problem lies...

you could try adding something like a classic chambered muffler in the mix... or get rid of the borla all together... My magnaflow has NO rasp/drone but is a little on the quieter side... has great sound/tone to it though
Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Launching!

the best sounding exhaust that i have seen by far is something that you would never expect.

i have been running the dodge hemi resonators on all of my vehicles.

on the dodge trucks, its the one that is right after the axle, about the size of a flowmaster.

it is 3in straight through, and the body of the muffler is hollow i believe..

if you run two of those with your exhaust you will still have straight through flow, but the resonators will kill almost all of the nasty rasp and will have a freaky sound that no other car will have. i have people complement me on my exhaust continually.

it is a good bit quieter then straight pipe at idle, and still has a mouth at full throttle.

and at 5bux each resonator, it cant be beat.

its worth a try, and trust me, you wont be disapointed.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

back in black I would like to hear that exhaust combo and where you mounted the resonators. Those dodge trucks sound pretty good. Do you have a camera to record the exhaust note??
Old 08-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Cool

I have LT with ORY into loudmouth 2 it Had tons of rasp I installed (2) 14 inch long 3 inch round magnaflows it killed the rasp 100% but it also killed most of the tone so i put my loudmoth 1 in and sounds good with a strong tone
Old 08-10-2008, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Ive heard Hi flow cats will kill the rasp too....but cheaper bullet mufflers will do the same. As far as magnaflow having no rasp, my friend had it on his Z28 and it sounded awful and very raspy but thats my opinion. My friend had borla on his procharged car but i beleive it still had cats...one of the best sounding cars ive heard to date
Old 08-10-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running ARH Lts, no cats, custom 3" y INTO 4" ota into a straight through Magnaflow and has no rasp and no drone. Havent tried XR1s myself, but the Magnaflow turned out great!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Launching!

well right now, i changed it from true duals to a y pipe and single resonator,

the resonator is infront of the axle on passenger side, hammered up the seat well a little an dumped/turned out at passenger wheel.

it sounds amazing. i have heard tons of setups as have my friends, and i still get goose bumps and butterflies in my stomach when i drive it hard.

i will be running these on my s10 also. so you will hear them soon.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yep, it's an oft-repeated myth on this board that a good merge will kill rasp ... ain't so. Kinda like true duals don't have rasp. Right.

Borla doesn't have a great reputation for controlling rasp; that is, except for their XR-1 in the I-pipe. That seems to help for a lot of guys.

It took old-style non-metallic Carsound/Magnaflow cats, a Classic Chambered Powerpack in the I-pipe, and Hooker resonator tips to completely kill it for me - not to mention the Flowmaster merge which did very little by itself.

Maybe I went overboard, but I can't stand even a hint of rasp. One of the ugliest sounds known to mankind.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

I just replaced my pacesetters and ory which had all sorts of rasp
my new setup is Kooks w/kooks ory and the rasp is gone, same catback as w/old headers.
not sure if its the y-pipe merge or the collector spike that made the difference?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the ugliest sounds known to mankind.
lol agreed..., keep posting your rasp-free setups you guys, i appreciate the feedback...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
to be honest... i hear a lot of Borla's with rasp to em... i think that's where your problem lies...

you could try adding something like a classic chambered muffler in the mix... or get rid of the borla all together... My magnaflow has NO rasp/drone but is a little on the quieter side... has great sound/tone to it though
+1 for magnaflow!
Also some high flow cats will kill alot of rasp from what Ive been told
Old 08-12-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright...

So i had been told that this worked for some LT/Borla owners so i tried it myself...

Drilled a 5/8ths (i think, i can double check if anyone wants) inch hole thru the closed off borla plate and swapped that out ( i was running the middle plate)

And after my roomate cut himself up on the plate, and i reinstalled, i have NO rasp at all. I took a hit on the volume, as it isnt as loud as with the middle plate, but the tone is unbelieveable. All the way up thru the rpm band the volume is even, tone is good, and no machine-gun rasp.

Appreciate all the feedback guys...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arioch
lol agreed..., keep posting your rasp-free setups you guys, i appreciate the feedback...
My rasp free setup is in sig. I dont know what type of Borla I have, it was on the car when I bought it. It appears to be the stock exhaust pipe. Before I did my header install, I read quite a few posts about rasp & drone with ORY setups. I was worried I might have some rasp too but nope.
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=P8090001.flv
Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arioch
Alright...

So i had been told that this worked for some LT/Borla owners so i tried it myself...

Drilled a 5/8ths (i think, i can double check if anyone wants) inch hole thru the closed off borla plate and swapped that out ( i was running the middle plate)

And after my roomate cut himself up on the plate, and i reinstalled, i have NO rasp at all. I took a hit on the volume, as it isnt as loud as with the middle plate, but the tone is unbelieveable. All the way up thru the rpm band the volume is even, tone is good, and no machine-gun rasp.

Appreciate all the feedback guys...
Nice good to hear. My suggestion would've been add cats at the very least...

-J
Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got hardly any rasp to speak of. QTP LT's/Y Pipe Flowmaster merge and a Borla XR1
Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Launching!

I've got tons of rasp, but if I've figured out if I let off of the throttle a little or give it more gas it pretty much doesn't happen. It is only raspy when a certain amount gas pedal is applied. The rasp doesn't bother me though. So it's all good.

Quick Reply: Alright, for those of you who have killed the rasp....