Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?

As I am studying up on Prochargers for F-bodies, I am coming across quite a few people that tend to have water temp issues when running prochargers. Apparently it has to do with removing the 2 oem fans and replacing them with one bigger fan on one side. They seem to get by ok when not running the AC in traffic but..... down here in Houston, its hot as all hell and constant traffic so.....

I just want to see which if any of you guys here at LS1tech have had overheating issues with procharger kits, particularly with FMICs. I am sure 160* stats and early fan activation will help some but I don't want to be dealing with overheating issues when idling with the AC on. Is there no way to make the oem fans work with the procharger or is clearance just too tight?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i once added a fan to the front of the condensor that turned on with the single fan and it worked out well
Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
well i once added a fan to the front of the condensor that turned on with the single fan and it worked out well
Was that with a FMIC or the twins? Must be twins as I don't see a fan fitting between the radiator and a FMIC.

I am wondering if you can squeeze a second fan on the left side abeit a small one, like maybe a fan off of a hayabusa or 1000, those fans are small but pull tons of air.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Launching!

I would move the radiator foward enuff that you could fit the stock fans in there and that might fix the over heating issue. I live in north louisiana and I have been fighting this problem with the ac on for over three years, I have tried an extra 14" fan on front of condensor, becool radiator, e-bay 16" 3500 cfm 'they say' and a 9" spal fan on the fan shroud and still I run hot in 100 degree days with a/c on in traffic the next thing I am going to do is a 16" spal fan instead if the e-bay one.
But my car is not a daily driver anymore so it is not that big of a deal anymore but when I drove it everyday I was ready to sale it. A 6speed car will be a little easier to keep cooler but a stalled auto your peeing in the wind
Old 08-10-2008, 10:29 PM
11Second Club

I'm thinking about standing up the radiator in mine when I get a Procharger so I can keep the OEM fans... does this require a custom AC line, though?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is one of the issues with running a procharger that makes me not jump in and get one. I don't daily drive my car anymore but there are times where I have to use it for work and driving 80 miles a day in traffic makes this a bigger concern. You would think adding another smaller fan next to the single large fan would help
Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Was that with a FMIC or the twins? Must be twins as I don't see a fan fitting between the radiator and a FMIC.

I am wondering if you can squeeze a second fan on the left side abeit a small one, like maybe a fan off of a hayabusa or 1000, those fans are small but pull tons of air.
I was having issues with overheating even without the A/C on here in OK when it was only in the 80's. I bought a 2 core Howe radiator which basically eliminated that, but with the A/C on and temps in the 90's I still had issues. I'm added a small Spal fan above the ProCharger into the ATI fan shroud and it helped, but with temps in the 10X's now it still gets hot with the A/C on. I basically out of idea's on keeping it cooler, given it hasn't over heated since I've added the second fan its got in the mid 230's. Both my fans are wired correctly and blowing hard at the motor. My car is getting tuned, but I'll get a picture of my second fan when I get it back.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
This is one of the issues with running a procharger that makes me not jump in and get one. I don't daily drive my car anymore but there are times where I have to use it for work and driving 80 miles a day in traffic makes this a bigger concern. You would think adding another smaller fan next to the single large fan would help
We added a 9" Spal fan next to the ProCharger fan on a customers car from El Paso, Texas and his car does not run hot. The 9" Spal fan fits above the ProCharger head unit on the ProCharger supplied fan sheetmetal. Bob
Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These 2 threads might give you some ideas...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...er+overheating

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5648&highlight=
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well since I am an expert on this in Houston weather LOL! I'll tell you what I have learned. The fans that Bob mentioned are a must, but won't cure it 100%. I'd say it was about 75% of the time, but what ever FMIC kit you go with cause the stock ATI units are not very good. Don't take out the air deflectors that go inbetween the radiator and the bumper support, it forces the air to go through the radiator/condenser. That cured about 90-95% of the over heating issues I had along with a LT1 radiator which is just a little larger than a stock LS1 radiator same as the SLP version basicly and bolts right in. It will still get hot sometimes during the day time and heavy traffic, but not over heat just around 220 or so. It will come right down once moving for a little bit. I haven't tried any pusher fans that others have suggested, but haven't found a need as it is manageable for me currently. GL LMK if you need anything locally.
Jeff

Last edited by Inspector12; 08-11-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Thanks for the links UL. I had no idea that the heating issue was THIS bad with the procharger kits. This might be a deal breaker for me as I absolutely won't deal with overheating BS....I already have this problem on my turbo hayabusa from the intercooler blocking the radiator, then trying to run two fans to keep it cool, then the alternator doesn't keep up and it kills batteries etc....Domino effect is the correct term for sure.

I don't daily drive my TA but I want to be able to if I had to. When we evacuated for hurricane Katrina, I was moving the car to a safer garage and it took over 3hrs to go 25 miles(extreme traffic) and the car idled 95% of the time with the AC on and never got over a smidge past 210* on the stock temp gauge. That was with the current mods and almost 400rwhp. I was very impressed with the cooling system for a stock car. I'm not messing that up.

You would have thought that ATI would have done much more research and development on such a HUGE problem.... I mean who the hell wants to drive one of these things during the summer with no AC on?

Maybe the Vortech kit with the aftercooler is a better option....

The more I research this FI thing, the more I realize why there is not a lot of supercharged/turbo charged F-bodies running the streets........Lots of supercharged vettes though.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well since I am an expert on this in Houston weather LOL! I'll tell you what I have learned. The fans that Bob mentioned are a must, but won't cure it 100%. I'd say it was about 75% of the time, but what ever FMIC kit you go with cause the stock ATI units are not very

Not very what? I am still up in the air on the FMIC or the 4.5" twins.

You still driving your cars on the streets here in Houston?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Good at keeping IAT down. FMIC is much better at it. And depending on your HP goals the Vortech kit was great no over heating at any time, but you are limited to about 550 to 600RWHP as the G-Trim is pretty small so it just depends on you goals etc... I made 601rwhp with the Vortech kit on a forged 347 with H/C though a 12 bolt.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noWPY...eature=related

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/954049-ssp-s-2920-meet-inspector12-vs-800-rwhp-vette-more.html

Of course I take my car out of the country for these runs lol!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good at keeping IAT down. FMIC is much better at it. And depending on your HP goals the Vortech kit was great no over heating at any time, but you are limited to about 550 to 600RWHP as the G-Trim is pretty small so it just depends on you goals etc... I made 601rwhp with the Vortech kit on a forged 347 with H/C though a 12 bolt.
Yeah I am only shooting for 550rwhp for the stock motor, it only has 38k miles so I am hoping to not blow it up anytime soon but.......if it did blow and I built a forged motor, I know I would crank the boost up some so it seems the Vortec kit would run out of steam then....but for now, I am shooting for stock motor power and reliability. I wonder how efficient the aftercooler is on the vortech for pump gas usage? I will be putting it on a cam only setup and I know I will have to pulley the crap out of it to get 8psi so I wonder if the vortech unit is capable of supporting it?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:26 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

550 is easy on the vortech kit on a stock motor 550 is about max if you want it to last a while. Comes with a 3.12" pulley and you would want a 2.75" or a 2.65" for your power goals. The aftercooler workes pretty well while driving, but on a dyno or in trafic it will build up heat cause of its location, but does keep the IAT down.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

550 is easy on the vortech kit on a stock motor 550 is about max if you want it to last a while. Comes with a 3.12" pulley and you would want a 2.75" or a 2.65" for your power goals. The aftercooler workes pretty well while driving, but on a dyno or in trafic it will build up heat cause of its location, but does keep the IAT down.
GOOD INFO....

Thanks for the posts... I am checking out your vids now. BTW, who does your work locally?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

I do all my own work usually.(713)302-0737 if you need some more info.
Jeff
Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do all my own work usually.(713)302-0737 if you need some more info.
Jeff
Cool....I'm saving your number. If you do work on other cars besides your own, I might hire you....LOL Seriously.

Thanks Jeff.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I have had a procharger setup on 3 cars, two of them were 100% stock and I never had any real overheating issues. Sure it ran hotter, sometimes over 240 in traffic with the a/c going, but I never once actually overheated. I spent some time sealing the shroud and using the biggest CFM fan I could fit and while it wasnt as good as the stock fans it was usable in 90 degree weather. Its tough to get the stock fans in there with the A/C unless you cut the upper core support, I tried.

Its not just a procharger specific issue though, any kit that loses the stock fans is going to have cooling issues with the a/c on when its 90*+ outside.

Quick Reply: F-body Procharger users......overheating in traffic?