LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dynaspark

Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynaspark

I just rebuilt my 383, and also ported LT4's with a new cam setup and fired it up last week. Motor idle's pretty well but when I would come off idle FP dropped to 29lbs. I bought the racetronix kit and fixed the fuel pressure problem. Today I fired it up again and it now idles like a champ with no fuel pressure problems. After it runs for some time it starts bustin' up, especially when you rev on it, and will not idle (engine dies).

I had a problem similar to this once before, about three years ago, and I bought a Dynaspark and solved the issue. It seems like when I bought it they said I could get it rebiult by Dynotech Engineering for $175. Has anyone had this problem and is it true that I can have it rebiult? I can't remeber.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

can I get a little help here guys?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the fresh air vacuum circuit functioning properly?? If the fresh air side is plugged and vacuum builds in the opti it makes it easy for spark to go all over the place rather than to just the right terminal.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I will check the vacuum lines tomorrow at the shop. Thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

The Dynaspark company isnt doing too hot with customer service etc etc. They dont seem to be around. Dynotech Engineering wont touch them anymore as they sold the business to a couple young guns that apparently are in over their head. The rotor inside is nothing more than a factory rotor, cheap as hell and the cap too. The other parts addressed within the opti are generally better quality.
I would check your IAC. IACS will not give you a code and can affect/will affect idel. Especially after temperature changes as your engine changes requirements for air and fuel, the IAC needs to adjust.
The IAC when watching it on scanning software only shows you what the ECM is telling it what to do, not what it is doing. So, if you can check the resistance of the IAC, you may be able to help your idle situation.
http://shbox.com/1/iac2.jpg
Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How warm is the engine when it starts to act up?? Have heard of ICMs acting up only when hot. Unfortunately it seems nobody is capable of testing out ICMs.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Dynaspark

My Z was Forced Inducted with 648 RWHP, The stock GM Delco Opti's just would not last, I am guessing from the rapid spooling of the motor was destroying them, I either had the rotors blow apart and come out the side of the cap or the electronics fail, I finally bought the Dynaspark way back when they first started, Never had a problem with the rotors failing, After a few years the electronics were acting up, sent it back to Dynaspark, and they rebuilt it for $30.00 it came back looking like new, So far no problems what so ever...
Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

96 CAPRICE:
I checked out the fresh air hose and it seemed to be plugged. I didn't have time to take it off today as I was swamped at work. The motor seems to reach 185 degrees before it acts up.

STEVE40th:
Thanks for the info. Looks like I am screwed out of sending the opti back to them if the fresh air hose check out. Really sucks, because being able to rebuild the Dynaspark was the deciding factor to buy for me. I had already went through 4 opti's before I bought the Dynaspark.

Thanks for all the help and insight guys. I will keep you all posted with what I find out.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

ok, I couldn't stand it, so I ran up to the shop tonight to check the fresh air hose to the dynaspark. While blowing a small amount of metered air into the fresh air hose a couple of drops of water hit me in the face. The water came from the front seal. For those of you familiar with the dynaspark, the silicon seal where the billit housing meets the cap. My problems definately are opti related. Now my real problem seem that I will have to try to get Dynotech Engineering to honor their warranty and rebiuld my SIX HUNDERD DOLLAR optispark.

To add grief to the situation, while raising my car on the rack, a huge piece of my brand new starter (literally 10 cranks) is laying on the floor. Sorry for ranting.
Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. Thanks for the great tip 96 Caprice. I never thought about checking the fresh air vent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dynaspark