Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Flat black paint help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat black paint help

Hey guys, I have been working on my 1993 Silverado, and the original white paint is just ****. Today I sanded it all down with 220 grit sand paper and sprayed it down with Krylon Ultra-Flat Black. I'm not a good painter by any means, but I like where I'm getting with it, just a no nonsense/all functionality look. But the paint just looks blotchy to me and I'm not too satisfied. Granted there is only one coat on the car. What can I do to make it look like solid paint, and not streaks. My friend recommends sanding it with a light paper and spraying it again but I am just nervous that will blotch up also. All input is appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

Picture of the finished side:

Close up of the front drivers side. Ignore the dent haha..:
Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Dont use stuff out of the spray can, it will always be blotchy no matter what. Invest in some automotive black basecoat with a flat or matte finish clear coat and spray it with a automotive spray gun and compressor. and you need to finish sand with something higher then 220, like 320 instead. Otherwise sand scratches will show through.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Transam is right you can spend less than $50 and have a much better finish.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get some semi-gloss, single stage paint from the auto body supply store and spray it from a real paint gun. Even the $15 gravity feed gun from HArbor Freight will work fine for what you're doing.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Launching!

not that i'm a pro body man, but painting is as much an art as science these days. i just had to fix the passenger door on my 68 rs camaro conv which i let off the jack onto a jack stand. You will never be happy with a rattle can paint job. you can however invest in a couple of spray guns. one for primer and one for paint, dont want to contaminate one woth the other. I will usually strip down with a 220 grit then I use omni high build primer which you can block out, and re apply, however many times you want, depending on how straight you want your truck. Your final sand can be from 400 to 600 grit then you can paint, clear, wet sand and buff. i'm just a shad tree painter though. if you go to your local paint supply store they will most likely point you in the right direction. good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to get my hands on more paint tomorrow and try to get a decent compressor. I'll see how it turns out.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whistler
Get some semi-gloss, single stage paint from the auto body supply store and spray it from a real paint gun. Even the $15 gravity feed gun from HArbor Freight will work fine for what you're doing.
shaker cans for a big job is a no no .. buy the cheap H/F paint gun ..

Quick Reply: Flat black paint help