Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I finally raced my friend with his new evo

Old 08-11-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I finally raced my friend with his new evo

So i remember i started a thread on here where i wondered who would win, my car or my friends 2003 evo... but it got closed... I RACED HIM. Anyway, before he got himself an evo i used to mess around with him by callin him a ricer and all (he has a turbo civic too). And i remember he said once, "once i get my evo i will teach you a lesson"... Well long story short, after work i see him leaving a parking lot and immediately i followed him . When i caught up to him, he slowed down to about 10 mph and went in the right lane, anticipating my arrival. So i down shift into 1st and wait... Without honking he mashes it and the race is on... I gotta tell you it wasnt even a competition because i left him 4 or 5 lengths behind at about 50 mph And yes he was racing, i heard his friggin blow off valve going nuts... I shut down at about 90 or so (it was city with not much traffic at night 10-11pm)
Next day when i came to work we started talking he said my car is fast and admitted defeat. He wants to do it again but on the track this time... one of the best days at work for me so far

Now as far as mods go... off course it's all show on the exterior with those gold OZ rims, carbon fiber hood, wing, blah blah But as far as performance goes, he says it is cammed with 350 whp, but i highly doubt that because engine bay appears to be bone stock (yes he does not even have an intake) SO, i think i raced a BONE STOCK evo... so 286 hp i think, right?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

Nice kill, I am not sure what the stock HP is but it should have been closer if he was modded.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:41 AM
***Repost Police***

Well if he had truly been modded like he said he was () then the OP would be hard pressed to keep up... sounds like a bone stock car to me. But 4-5 cars from 10-50mph sounds like bad driving to me. Good kill regardless, and way to shut him up
Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 AM
Teching In

By gold OZ rims are you referring to the brand or are they rims that came off of the OZ Lancer?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Well if he had truly been modded like he said he was () then the OP would be hard pressed to keep up... sounds like a bone stock car to me. But 4-5 cars from 10-50mph sounds like bad driving to me. Good kill regardless, and way to shut him up
Nice kill, OP. If he was pushing the same horsepower as you or higher, you'd have a very hard time keeping up because they're pretty light (at least the ones I've run were pretty light).
Old 08-11-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tried to race one a few months ago but he just drove it off the lot. I got the feeling he was just hanging out anyway. Still I'd like to run it as he should have some mods by now.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Why wouldn't he take advantage of the AWD and run from a dig? Y'all should try it that way and see how he fares.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

nice kill
Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Why wouldn't he take advantage of the AWD and run from a dig? Y'all should try it that way and see how he fares.
New AWD driver from a dig=lose. Unless he learned quick on how to launch, he will just bog down and the OP would walk his *** hard. Now in say...a couple months, or some good track time, he will get it down, but if he just got the car, it will be bad for the evo.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've never driven an awd vehicle but it seems like it would be easy to launch....rev it high and side step the clutch
Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like a stock one...I ran a cammed/Intake Evo from a roll and was a few lengths ahead by 150 when I shut down... from a dig lookout (even against the stock ones) but from a roll they need slightly less/equal power to keep up. Which means if he was REALLY making the power he claimed he would have went right past you from a roll.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Thats the thing..you can't just rev high, and dump it, or it will bog. From everyone I know that has picked up AWD cars, it takes time to really learn how to launch the **** ouf of them.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
By gold OZ rims are you referring to the brand or are they rims that came off of the OZ Lancer?
i believe the brand...
Old 08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
New AWD driver from a dig=lose. Unless he learned quick on how to launch, he will just bog down and the OP would walk his *** hard. Now in say...a couple months, or some good track time, he will get it down, but if he just got the car, it will be bad for the evo.
he is not a best driver out there, hell he missed a gear big time while i was in the car once...
Old 08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats the thing..you can't just rev high, and dump it, or it will bog. From everyone I know that has picked up AWD cars, it takes time to really learn how to launch the **** ouf of them.
Well I heard the Evo's have weak clutches from the factory. A friend of mine took me for a ride in his Impreza Wrx Sti one time and he bounced it off the rev limiter and side stepped it. You best believe that ****** took off.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh, i have no doubts if he had 350 whp then i would lose big time
Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
Well I heard the Evo's have weak clutches from the factory. A friend of mine took me for a ride in his Impreza Wrx Sti one time and he bounced it off the rev limiter and side stepped it. You best believe that ****** took off.
I think the stock clutches in the STI and evo are both weak, the only reason u can sidestep them is because they actually SLIP when u do that. Put a aftermarket clutch in that grips and try to launch it like that and u will be breaking stuff. The best way to launch a awd car is to "slip" the clutch untill u feel it going, that kinda preloads the drivetrain, then let it all the way out. That neted me 1.70 60's in my bosses bolt-on evo9. My boss, not knowing how to launch his car, revved it up, dumped the clutch, and BAM. Bye Bye Transfer case.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
oh, i have no doubts if he had 350 whp then i would lose big time
First off, good kill man.

You wouldn't lose big time. You'd probably be a good race pending the year of the EVO (IX would eat you...).

A cammed/bolt on EVO is a good race for a bolt on/exhaust LSx with the LSx steadily pulling after 120mph. From a dig(competent evo driver), its rape unless the LS driver is a stalled auto or can drive(m6)
Old 08-11-2008, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NO 5.0
I think the stock clutches in the STI and evo are both weak, the only reason u can sidestep them is because they actually SLIP when u do that. Put a aftermarket clutch in that grips and try to launch it like that and u will be breaking stuff. The best way to launch a awd car is to "slip" the clutch untill u feel it going, that kinda preloads the drivetrain, then let it all the way out. That neted me 1.70 60's in my bosses bolt-on evo9. My boss, not knowing how to launch his car, revved it up, dumped the clutch, and BAM. Bye Bye Transfer case.
Thats what I was refering too. One of my good friends has a stg 2 '06 WRX, and he said you can't dump them like that. Got to slip it at first, then pop it out. Evo's and STI's are like that. But I drove a 12 lbs tuned s4, just reved to 5k and dumped it, and that thing took the **** off. Just depends on the car, clutch, ect. Just like our cars, 5k rpm clutch dump on stock rear=bye bye. Same ****.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
So i remember i started a thread on here where i wondered who would win, my car or my friends 2003 evo... but it got closed... I RACED HIM. Anyway, before he got himself an evo i used to mess around with him by callin him a ricer and all (he has a turbo civic too). And i remember he said once, "once i get my evo i will teach you a lesson"... Well long story short, after work i see him leaving a parking lot and immediately i followed him . When i caught up to him, he slowed down to about 10 mph and went in the right lane, anticipating my arrival. So i down shift into 1st and wait... Without honking he mashes it and the race is on... I gotta tell you it wasnt even a competition because i left him 4 or 5 lengths behind at about 50 mph And yes he was racing, i heard his friggin blow off valve going nuts... I shut down at about 90 or so (it was city with not much traffic at night 10-11pm)
Next day when i came to work we started talking he said my car is fast and admitted defeat. He wants to do it again but on the track this time... one of the best days at work for me so far

Now as far as mods go... off course it's all show on the exterior with those gold OZ rims, carbon fiber hood, wing, blah blah But as far as performance goes, he says it is cammed with 350 whp, but i highly doubt that because engine bay appears to be bone stock (yes he does not even have an intake) SO, i think i raced a BONE STOCK evo... so 286 hp i think, right?
It had to have been stock....If it has aftermarket cams then he has no idea how to drive...

My SS puts down more whp/wtq than your car does and I've raced 2 Evo 9's with 330whp and only managed 1.5-2 CL's on them...

You're not puttin 4-5 CL's on a cammed Evo

Search this Thread