Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help Rearend swap now car doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help Rearend swap now car doesn't start

I have a 2001 Z28 that came factory with a 3 channel rearend. I just did the swap to a 4 channel because it had better gears and everything went fine with the install. I didn't pull any ABS fuses and started the car up to get wheels moving to get the gear lube moving through the rearend. It made a terrible noise after it started up in park. It sounded either like the ABS going on or the sound when you put a car in park at 10mph that clicking noise. I shut the car off right away. The car has power but will not turn over at all. Not even a click. I hear the relays clicking in start mode but that is it. I even tested the starter fuse and it lights up with the ignition in start mode.

Would tampering with the ABS disable the cars starter on these cars? I thought maybe the neutral safety switch might have went out but I have no idea were it is at. I have an automatic transmission in my Z28.

Does anyone have any advice on what might have happened? I didn't think swapping out a rearend would have this effect on the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

maybe the starter didnt disengage and got toasted? My first guess would be to have the starter tested.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
maybe the starter didnt disengage and got toasted? My first guess would be to have the starter tested.
Thats what happened to me, I thought I broke a rod or something but it was the starter. It actually broke in half. My battery was low and my motor kicked back and that was the end of that starter LOL

Other than that check your grounds, I had that problem too. All the gauges would come on but if I tried to crank it over everything would go dead and not a click from the starter.