LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Failed emision test

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed emision test

Its a 94 a4 z28 with 110,000 on it. I got from my friend for free (sort of ) It needed a tranny,fuel pump,front bumper,fender and hood. I got all that taken care of now and got a chance to take to get it tested. The car has been sitting a while (maybe a year)? So it still had some of that old gas in it so I'm sure that
has something to do with it but not all. I'm not sure if it's ever had a tune up at all! I'm getting that taken care of this week new plugs and wires! I also put some fresh 91 in it. So is there anything else that I might need to take care of?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id start where your starting, considering you know what the car needs... If you already KNOW it could use a tuneup and a fresh tank of gas then do it, drive it to get the cobwebs out, and see what happens.

It should tell you what reason the car failed (O2/HCs/NOX ect...) which was it? That helps alot when trying to diag a failed emissions test.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Teching In

It failed hydro, carbon monoxide and dioxide.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you failed hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide alot of unburnt fuel is getting out the exhaust (for whatever reason, cat being bad maybe or just too rich).

Tune it up and get some new gas in it, check your air filter also to make sure its not something stupid. The tune up alone should get you somewhere.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Filter is a new LPE intake the original air intake didn't make it out of the wreck.
The exhaust has a pretty strong smell to it when it idles. But other than that it
runs pretty strong from a stop it gets sideways and even spins second gear.
This is my first lt1 and I'm impressed how it goes for as old as it is lol
Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its going to run a whole hell of alot better when you get that rich condition sorted out. If the car is stock, there should be a very light fuel smell, if any from the tailpipes. If its never been tuned up at all, that would be a real good reason for smelling unburnt fuel at the other end.

It could be alot of other things too, but its obviously better to start with the basics and make sure its not anything you already know about.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Ya hopefully this will take care of it. I want to get it to the track this weekend and see what it will do.
All it has is the intake. The tranny came out of a cop car so Im not sure if that makes any difference or not?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

The transmission in the cop cars is the same as any other f-body with an LT1 as far as I know. Get that sucker tuned up and get it racing

Quick Reply: Failed emision test