Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS into a 94 caprice wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS into a 94 caprice wagon?

hey everybody, i might be able to get my hands on a 94 caprice wagon for fairly cheap and i was thinking of dropping my LQ4 into it. right now its a lt1 car.
is there a company that makes motor mounts and headers for a conversion like this? what about wiring, i have the harness and computer from a 99 TA but what would i need to do to make the gauges work?
if headers arent an option what manifolds would work?
thanks for any help, Mark
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just realized that 94 is obd1, will that effect anything? how would i scan/tune it?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Convert it to OBDII, I am not sure if you would have problems with state inspection though.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

well idk much about impalas but my buddy put a ls2 into a 96 impala ss i think they are the same car. he had all his wiring harness made by speartech hope they are a sponsor or there goes another infraction....neway hope that helps.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

headers he used shorties
Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea its basically the same car. do you know what he used for motor mounts?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

You should be able to use carshopinc mounts or any mount like it. I have TD's on my 79. Pretty much the same thing you have. Keep the mounts off the LT1 block, and they bolt up to the swap plate. You are going to need to change from OBD1 to OBD2 if you are swapping that engine anyway. OBD1 is the engine computer software.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

no dont do it those things are way to big and ugly, lol. it would be cool but hell i would like to see a lsx f150 or somthing like that. maybe a nice cutlass
Old 08-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I used mounts, headers, and pan from street & performance....
Old 09-13-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

im just lost on what will need to be swapped to obdII, as it will have an ls1 computer anyway, which is obd II. what will i need to change for the rest? can someone pm me a link to Street and performance's site, i think i found it but it says that they havent finished the swap yet, i must be on an old version of the site or something.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 PM
13 Second Truck Club

when you get a harness made it will have and obdII port you will just not use any of your factory computer or obdI stuff its pretty easy to make your own mounts if you have a little fab skills and weld
Old 09-13-2008, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

How "plug and play" has this swap become with the aftermarket support? I have a wagon in my area also I can get into for cheap. Always looking for that first swap training car.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dragcamaro
im just lost on what will need to be swapped to obdII, as it will have an ls1 computer anyway, which is obd II. what will i need to change for the rest?

can someone pm me a link to Street and performance's site, i think i found it but it says that they havent finished the swap yet, i must be on an old version of the site or something.
I don't think you are picking up what I'm putting down. hehehehe. The LS1 uses OBDII. If you swap an LS1 in instead of the LT1, the LS1 IS OBDII. OBDI and OBDII are the On Board Diagnostics. I or II. That's in the computer. The only thing that would need "changed" would be the little black plastic port under the dash to plug in the scanner.

I don't know about Street & Performance's site. I spent a month there one night.....I couldn't find what I was looking for at all.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzzylogic
How "plug and play" has this swap become with the aftermarket support? I have a wagon in my area also I can get into for cheap. Always looking for that first swap training car.
If you want to do it cheap, just make the harness you get with the motor a standalone harness. Pretty straight forward and easy to do.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

alright thats what i figured, for some reason i thought there was more to it from everyone saying i need to convert lol.
gauges seem like the only though part, but ive delt with it before so its no big deal, is a custom harness fromlike speartech already made to work with my gauges?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A custom harness from speartech is made to work with the MINIMUM gauges. I think just speedo, tach, and the OBDII port are included in the harness. John is a great guy, very helpful and informative. You have to wire your own oil pressure and coolant temp sensors. Its actually pretty damn easy. I wired my harness to run through the factory fuse box. I still have a few wires to take out of the speartech fuse block, but otherwise it works fine. If i had the choice of doing it again, I'd do my own harness. Its Uber-simple once you look at the schematics for a while. I just did one for a buddy or mine about 2 weeks ago...and it actually worked lol.

Loweredd- Nice to see you here, I remember you from the impalassforum. I'm on there with the same screen name. I think everyone is converting to LSx lol. I may get into a LS-powered FC RX7 sometime soon. Or I may do another Impala...who knows.

BTW Read the sig lol.

Last edited by GA95DCMSS; 09-14-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Edited of course lol.

Quick Reply: LS into a 94 caprice wagon?