LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 O2 Sensors (searched...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 O2 Sensors (searched...)

I've got a stock car that I want to change the O2's on.

I can't reach the passenger side from the top of the car because my arms are too big/thick,and from the bottom the frame of the car and exhaust piping is in the way.The driver's side looks to be a PITA also because there isn't enough room to turn a wrench...and it's a dual cat car (despite being OBD1,95 A4's got 2 cats in california) making the driver's side even harder because the sensor is right before the cat.

Are there any special tools or techniques I can use to change these? Would I have to bolt off the after sensor exhaust piping and cats to make some room? I really don't want to pay some guy I don't know a bunch of money for a job that is supposedly as easy as changing oil either.

Any help is appreciated.Thanks.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

unbolt the y-pipe
Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

The passenger side flange after the O2 sensor is impossible to reach,and only 2 out of 3 nuts are accessible on the driver's side flange right before the driver's side cat.Maybe I'm missing something here...
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

just do like i did. Cut y pipe off with sawzall. Remove manifolds. Replace with longtubes and true duals. Then you can change oxygen sensors without jacking up the car.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
just do like i did. Cut y pipe off with sawzall. Remove manifolds. Replace with longtubes and true duals. Then you can change oxygen sensors without jacking up the car.
Even a set of midlengths would be better than the stockers... At least its down a bit further. But id still take the longtubes
Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

I want to keep the car stock for a while,at least until I get some other repairs taken care of and get it tuned up.Being in CA doesn't help either when it comes to smog and crap.

Hopefully someone who has changed the O2's on a stock dual cat car can chime in.Is it not possible to change these without some welding/cutting/other modification to the stock exhaust?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can "try" to unbolt the starter on the passenger side and sneak in there but its best to take the Y-pipe off. There are a few different O2 sensor wrenches and adapter you can buy, while you're at it buy a long extension and a swivel socket or adapter. Trust me it worth the $30 or $40 getting the right tools to take the y-pipe off. You'll save soo much time and frustration.

Quick Reply: LT1 O2 Sensors (searched...)