Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Heather’s 67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Heather’s 67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback conversion

Some of you might know that Heather and I have wanted a 67 Fastback Mustang since they made the Gone in 60 seconds movie in 2000. The only major problem is that these 67 fastback Mustangs are very expensive and hard to find.
So back in 2004 we bought a 67 Mustang Coupe with plans to fix it up then sell it. The money was going to go toward a fastback.
Well using my engineering and bodywork skills I decided it would be a lot cheaper to just make one ourselves. So we cut the entire top of her coupe off and welded on the fastback top from a car that was in the junkyard. The Coupe cost us $700.00 and the fastback top was $300.00.
We will also be doing something very unique and original with the exhaust too but thats confidential right now. Her car is still a major work in progress with a lot of bodywork to do but now you see the goal we are shooting for. We just got the windshield installed today.

See more pics here. http://adfabdesign.com/Site/67Mustang-677.html

Paint Color: House Of Kolor Sunset Pearl Orange. White stripes will have pearl in them.
Interior: White and orange
Tranny: Twist Machine Shrifter on the steering wheel with necessary electronic tranny.
Engine: Currently 200 I6 cylinder but eventually a 302 V8.
Suspension: Lowered at least 4-5 inches with many other goodies.
Wheels: 17" Vintage 45 wheels seen in last post #23.
Pro-Touring Build: Daily driving comfort along with road track suspension and performance.

Summer 2008

Some older pics.

Summer 2006

Last edited by CAMAROBOY69; 08-12-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos to you for having the stones to try the swap - looks like it is coming along nicely.

My first car was a 1970 Mustang Coupe that my father and I were going to make into a Fastback, but we chickened out and I later sold it and bought a '67 Fastback.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joey@TickPerf
Kudos to you for having the stones to try the swap - looks like it is coming along nicely.

My first car was a 1970 Mustang Coupe that my father and I were going to make into a Fastback, but we chickened out and I later sold it and bought a '67 Fastback.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the kudos. I forgot to mention that Heather did most of the welding and bodywork herself. I just tack weld it for her. Just last week the car was still in half. We spent most of last week and the weekend getting it ready for the windshield to be installed by monday the 11th.
Do you have any pics of your 67 Fastback? I would love to see them.

Last edited by CAMAROBOY69; 08-13-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Kool idea dude. Didn't know you were on this site too. Looks like it's coming along well.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

good job.

i have to do something similiar to my 87 mustang. it came with a hardtap and i want to convert it to t-top. so i have to cut a t-top roof off a donor car and put it on the hardtop car.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome! That's a great way arounfd the Eleanor tax. We just sold a 67 fastback that I was going to build for my wife. You wouldn't believe what a bomb it was and it sold for 5K.

Last edited by Whistler; 08-14-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

awesome. it is looking good too.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I will try to keep her site and this page updated as we make progress. We already have the orange brand new cut pile carpet. Currently waiting for our racing seats so we can install the carpet and take the car for a ride.
Not very happy with the customer service where I ordered these seats. Its been almost 4 weeks of waiting and still dont have a tracking number. They said 10-15 business days but it looks like its closer to 20 business days which is rediculous.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice project.

Adam everyone at pro-touring thinks your dead dude lmao!!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks. Yeah we are still alive and I still do road track racing every year with my 69 Camaro. I just dont visit the car forums anymore. When I visit the forums I spend too much money.

Looks like we are having really bad luck with these seats. Just got informed yesterday that they got damaged in shipping. Then the news gets worse. Now they have to wait 2 more weeks because those seats are out of stock.
I think I am going to just try to buy them from a different company that sells the same seats. This is rediculous. Wait 3 weeks for seats and now we have to wait another 2 weeks. BS.
So I think we are going to just install the carpet and old seats tomorrow. Then look at the brakes and take the car for a ride. We havent drove the car in 2 years.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Mustang looks nice.

Not to be a nutswinger or anything but I just looked at the pics of you 69 and I have to say that's one of my top 5 1st gens of all time. Very nice work.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
Mustang looks nice.

Not to be a nutswinger or anything but I just looked at the pics of you 69 and I have to say that's one of my top 5 1st gens of all time. Very nice work.
Oh wow thats an amazing compliment considering there are a lot of really nice 69 Camaros out there. Make sure you check out my Camaro in action on a 12 turn road track against Evos, WRX, new Corvettes, porsche boxters, MR2 and many other cars. https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/961966-back-grattan-7-26-08-event-added-31-videos.html
The long term goal for her mustang is for it to be a similar build to my 69 Camaro. But thats going to take a few years.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Very nice. I guess it's just the simplicity of it and the interior work that does it for me.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Welded some more of the fastback structure to the car for extra strength and support. After that I removed 2 of the reinforcment bars that were in the car before the conversion. Then we temporarily installed the orange carpet and floor mats just to see how they look. We also had to replace the master cylinder gasket because it was so old it actually melted and decinigrated. Never seen that before.
After all that we finally drove it again. Its been 2 years since we had it on the road and we put on a good 20-30 miles this weekend. It has a really bad bog when taking off from idle. Its actually quite frustrating since I had the carb rebuilt twice. I think its something with the accelerator pump adjustment. Other than that the car ran real well. The front tires are still toed out a little so I am going to adjust the tie rod at least 1-2 more threads to get the alignment closer. Still a long way to go but at least its on the road again.
There is a local car show this Tuesday and we are going to try to bring her car to that as a work in progress (WIP).
EDIT: Added 9 pics. Just remember the car will be orange and white when finished. Looks like our racing seats are out of stock so its going to be at least another 2-3 weeks before we get them.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

looking go so far. please keep posting pics of progress.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice work, I'm looking forward to the progress!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the compliments.
The fastback saw its very first car show last night. Its just a local car show with about 100 cars but the event itself was very exciting. While we were there Heathers mom showed up in her 73 mustang that we finished building for her this year. It was the first car show her mom ever put a car into in her entire life. The event was such a great experience. My mom even showed up after a few minutes. Both Heather and her mom had a great time showing of their cars and Heathers 67 Mustang got a LOT of positive attention. It truly was a rewarding experience after all the hard work Heather and I have put into both Mustangs. I couldnt stop smiling seeing the cars side by side like that. Some time I would love to have my 69 Camaro down there with both Mustangs.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Finally 2 1/2 months later the seats arrive. The worst customer service I have delt with in my entire life. The packaging was also horrible. The boxes were crushed and several of the edges were ripped open. This usually isnt a problem but it was so poorly packaged they just set the bolts in the cardboard box and some of the bolts and necessary hardward fell out of the holes. Then if that wasnt enough, they said they would send a set of 5 point racing seatbelts for free because of the wait. Well those also were not delivered. Do not ever buy from shophyperformance.com
The seats look pretty good and feel comfortable. I will install them next year.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet i'm deff keeping up with this thread, yall are doing a great job .....
Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Teching In

That's pretty friggin cool. Very, very nice. I'd leave it the way it is... as a beater :-p You could probably sell it for way more than you have into it now.

I've always thought that Mercury should've made a fastback Cougar, but I had never thought of swapping the Mustang roof onto a Cougar.

Quick Reply: Heather’s 67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback conversion