Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need help with pulley sizes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help with pulley sizes

Ok guys just got my procharger installed, I am only making about 2.5 to 3lbs of boost max. I measured my pullies and here is what I have. Crank pulley is a 6" which seems small compared to what everyone else is running. Blower pulley is a 4" do you guys think the pulley setup is why I am not seeing much boost, I would like around 8lbs. My car has a small cam, full exhaust, off road y pipe, stock ported polished heads.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

I was wondering the same but BOB came to the rescue.He said
"There is no set pulley for making x amount of boost. The reason is due to many variables such as: Does the car have headers or exhaust manifolds, cats, cat back exhaust, cam, heads, cubic inch, elevation, etc. Say you are making 8 psi with a bone stock Camaro and you add headers, better flowing cats and a cat back exhaust. You will find your boost level now at somewhere around 6.5 psi, as the system is less restrictive now. To get the boost back to 8 psi a smaller pulley will need to be installed on the blower, and possibly a shorter belt. There is a number stamped on the side of the pulley, so that you know which one you have now.
When I place a ProCharger order, I take into account all of the above variables, so that the customer gets the psi he or she is looking for. Bob"
BOB is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.5lbs of boost seems pretty low to me, I'd check to make sure you're not leaking boost anywhere. My 396 w/AFR's, 1 7/8 Kooks and TD's made 10psi on a 4.5" pulley and should make around 17-18 on the new 3.7" pulley. I'd double check everything and make sure that no clamps are loose etc. then look into a smaller pulley. Are you measuring boost by a mechanical gauge or a electronic gauge?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 99BlownSS
I was wondering the same but BOB came to the rescue.He said
"There is no set pulley for making x amount of boost. The reason is due to many variables such as: Does the car have headers or exhaust manifolds, cats, cat back exhaust, cam, heads, cubic inch, elevation, etc. Say you are making 8 psi with a bone stock Camaro and you add headers, better flowing cats and a cat back exhaust. You will find your boost level now at somewhere around 6.5 psi, as the system is less restrictive now. To get the boost back to 8 psi a smaller pulley will need to be installed on the blower, and possibly a shorter belt. There is a number stamped on the side of the pulley, so that you know which one you have now.
When I place a ProCharger order, I take into account all of the above variables, so that the customer gets the psi he or she is looking for. Bob"
BOB is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob
Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

I talked to Bob earlier he said the 6" crand pulley is way to small. I defiently need to go to atleast a 7" to get around 7to8lbs. I had bought this kit used, so far this is the only problem I have had. I have check and double checked all hoses and hose clamps all that seems to be ok.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:01 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
2.5lbs of boost seems pretty low to me, I'd check to make sure you're not leaking boost anywhere. My 396 w/AFR's, 1 7/8 Kooks and TD's made 10psi on a 4.5" pulley and should make around 17-18 on the new 3.7" pulley. I'd double check everything and make sure that no clamps are loose etc. then look into a smaller pulley. Are you measuring boost by a mechanical gauge or a electronic gauge?

The op has a very small 6.0" crank pulley which is one inch smaller than the standard 6 rib crank pulley. The 8 rib system uses a 7.65 crank pulley. This is a huge difference! My old D-1SC 6 rib kit had a 4.0" blower pulley and with headers and exhaust it made 7 psi of boost. With his 6.0" crank pulley I'd say the boost he is making is about right.
The first thing I'd say for him to do is to get a 7.0" crank pulley. Bob
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Hey Bob I emailed you on ordering that pulley, if you could give me a call or if you still have my info from the computer just go ahead and get it ordered for me. Thanks alot

Quick Reply: need help with pulley sizes