PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misrouted harness cause codes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Misrouted harness cause codes???

I'm checking my service manual and most codes say a misrouted harness can cause the code. Has anyone actaully gotten codes by having their wires too close to say....ignition coils and such? I have my wires all over the place and now I'm wandering.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Misrouted harness cause codes???

Laying a signal wire too close to a power wire will create all kinds of havoc. Heavy amp flows through power wires create small magnetic fields around the power wire. If a signal wire is close enough to be within this magnetic field, the magnetic field will begin to induce a current flow within the adjacent signal wire.

Signal wires rely on very accurate electrical voltages / frequencies / amps in order to transmit its necessary information. A small induced amperage from the adjacent power wire goofs this all up. As a result the signal wire will begin misreport information. The PCM picks up this funny information and usually sets a code.

There are not alot of heavy power wires in the car capable of doing this. Basically any wire that routes to a separate electrical motor in the car needs to be steered clear of. Additionally, the main power wires in the car need to be steered clear of.

Good Luck
Old 08-31-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Misrouted harness cause codes???

When I put on LS6 heads and center bolt valve covers I didn't have coil rails yet. I just zip tied my coils to the wires. I went out yesterday after reading my service manual and put the rails on. Man what a differance. The car runs so strong now and my readings are making sense now. Looks like I may get the hang of Edit afterall.

Quick Reply: Misrouted harness cause codes???