View Full Version : Which one should I buy?

shenanigans
08-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey guys I am looking at buying a new F-body and have come across two I really like.

the first one is a 2000 SS, blk/blk, all options, A4, 21k miles, completely stock. guy advertised it for 18k but probably can talk him down to maybe 15.5k.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=239275477&dealer_id=62071929&model=CAM&make2=&start_year=1998&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=100&make=CHEV&keywords_display=&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&address=92691&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=

The second option is from a guy on here I found that has a freakin sweet ass SOM Trans AM with 65k miles,A4, tan leather, nitrous, 4000 stall, really sweet ride.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9900182&highlight=#post9900182

I live in Southern California and the smog laws and cops are huge dicks. I really would love the tran-am for the mods and rarity of the color options but I have always wanted a stock all black SS to cruise in. what would you guys do?

INMY01TA
08-13-2008, 07:29 PM
They're both sweet. Not sure what I'd do.. Prolly go with the stock SS.

1Loudz28
08-13-2008, 07:30 PM
personally i would go with the stock ss, modding is most of the fun with these cars!

shenanigans
08-13-2008, 07:44 PM
personally i would go with the stock ss, modding is most of the fun with these cars!

ya thats what I was thinking too. I miss working on a car. Plus I don't think I would go too crazy. Just the basics and a good cam and valve train. And most likely a new stall but nothing too crazy.

But on the other hand I am going back to school at 25 and should really just focus on school and not modding my car. I am the type that obsess over my cars and research the crap out of every mod. I remember I was spending so much money and time on my 70 El Camino at the speed shop I started working there lol.

'Trust'
08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Personally I think you're insane for considering a black SS over a SOM WS6, the rarity factor alone should be enough. HOWEVER, since tastes vary and you've always wanted a black SS then just go with the first car you picture yourself in 6 months from now.

adam02gt
08-13-2008, 08:20 PM
I'd buy the SOM ta. I am absolutely in love with that color.

shenanigans
08-13-2008, 08:25 PM
ya I love the SOM cars but I am more of a Camaro guy something about the pop up head lights I never liked you know. During the day though those Tran-ams look sweet. I had a 94 Z28 a few years ago (well actually I still kinda "own" it but my buddy has it) and when the newer body style aka headlights came out I wanted to switch to the LS1 and newer headlights. 21k miles too sounds so sweet dont think I have even bought a car with less than 50k on it lol

shenanigans
08-13-2008, 11:58 PM
no one else has any input? maybe i'll go buy a Supra and do the whole fast and furious thing or maybe not lol

Sammyboy
08-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Ss......it Is Stock!!!!

CoastieWS6
08-14-2008, 12:16 AM
SOM T/A would be my pick. damn i love that color lol

CaliforniaBoy5
08-14-2008, 12:20 AM
get the SOM TA. He's a great guy and takes amazing care of his car. Trust me and come hangout at the Western section on ls1tech.

We have meets every weekend, come out and PM me for info. I know you wont be dissapointed with the SOM too.

Looking forward to meeting you!

shenanigans
08-14-2008, 12:36 AM
get the SOM TA. He's a great guy and takes amazing care of his car. Trust me and come hangout at the Western section on ls1tech.

We have meets every weekend, come out and PM me for info. I know you wont be dissapointed with the SOM too.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Ya I talked to him on the phone real nice guy, knows his shit too. I just keeping thinking that I might get sick of the SOM color and wished I bought a black SS. I am still waiting on my damn settlement check which should be here in a few weeks so I guess I got some time to think about it that is if either are availble then.

thunderstruck507
08-14-2008, 12:58 AM
I don't care for orange/gold/whatever you want to call it

But T/A> SS

I hate pop up headlights too, but 4th gen T/As are among the best looking cars ever even with them, the SS to me just looks too plain

qwk93ta
08-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I would buy the SS because it has low miles and STOCK. I'm a T/A person, but I think the SS is a better deal. NOS and a stall could mean that the car has been run hard.

Black 99 Bird
08-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Daily Driver = SS

Weekend Cruiser = T/A

What is the car's purpose?

shenanigans
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
black99bird it will be for everyday use. But I use to drive a 70 El Camino with over 500hp and nitrous everyday.

shenanigans
08-15-2008, 07:53 PM
found another camaro but its a silver Z28 with low miles and only 9k. I figured I could get a hood and spoiler and wheels to make it look like an SS and probably save on insurance

turbowhistle86
08-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I work for an insurance company....SS vs Z28 means nothing to them. The just go by the VIN code for the engine. Now if you have an appraised stated value policy, that's a different story.

By the way, buy the Camaro....modded cars, no matter how much an owner may claim its never been to the track, run hard, etc. is full of it. With all respect to the T/A owner, no one spends tons of coin on mods to just cruise around town at a leisurely pace. I'm sure they are both nice cars, but I would buy the stock one and have fun doing the mods you want and nothing you don't want. Just my opinion.

FastB
08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I obviously like Camaros and SOM. Hard decision, but if I was going to be driving it every day I'd probably have to go with the SS.

purplehays4
08-16-2008, 11:53 AM
SOM T/A IMO!! I love that grey CETA mod on it also!

StuntmanMike
08-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Did you buy the SS? I just went to look at the link, it says the listing has been taken down by owner.

The low miles of the SS are nice, but that SOM Bird is freakin' sweet!! I actually like all the mods too, although I'd be a bit leary of buying a car with nitrous too. I like the color matched bottle though!

GLT1
08-16-2008, 08:01 PM
go for the trans am, why would you even consider a ss over a trans am? camaros are like a mustang,even chicks drive them. plus just look at the detail work the trans am has,who cares if the ss is stock,you said the guy knows hes stuff so if he does he built it right and i personally would rather just drive than do countless hours of work,and its always taking from enjoying it,if you do something to it like headers that takes pretty much all day and youre not finished,so unless you a jobless with all the time in the world and would rather have a broken down car for mods all the time go ahead,but youre gonna be spending alot more to fix it up just as nice as the ta.

SS#1531
08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
That T/A is gorgeous, but the nitrous scares me. For a daily driver I'd go with the SS because the T/A is too nice to DD, plus the SS is low mileage. If the nitrous and DDing it doesn't bother you then go for the T/A.

99camarosupersport
08-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Nitrous on car = don't buy it.

TXZ28LS1
08-16-2008, 10:35 PM
go with the SS!! its stock, and the miles are very low!!

firefighter813x
08-16-2008, 11:17 PM
SS all the way! Especially with the same all black style Z06 wheels like what I have would look sick.

5SiX1
08-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Tan Leather = puke. SS plz.

JayplaySS2
08-17-2008, 12:13 AM
SS for sure, nothing meaner than a Black SS :nod:

wht01ws6ta
08-17-2008, 12:26 AM
I would go with the SOM TA unless there is just something (like a particular mod) you don't like about it. The tan leather is different but it's unique, in a good way, and the CETA birds on the seats are awesome.

[QUOTE=By the way, buy the Camaro....modded cars, no matter how much an owner may claim its never been to the track, run hard, etc. is full of it. With all respect to the T/A owner, no one spends tons of coin on mods to just cruise around town at a leisurely pace. I'm sure they are both nice cars, but I would buy the stock one and have fun doing the mods you want and nothing you don't want. Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Who wants to only putt around town in these cars anyway? Would you buy a 300 rwhp f-body (or 555rwhp one in this case) just to cruise at a leisurely pace?? I drive my TA hard almost everyday for the past 90,000 miles and it seems to like it just fine :D I thought that's what these cars were made for!
But that's just my two cents...

wES6
08-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Id got with the stock car, the SS. Im not comfortable with mods (NOS & Stall) unless I put them on!

shenanigans
08-17-2008, 06:17 AM
well looks like I was too late on that SS :( but it's ok I am not in any rush. Still got a freakin month till I get my settlement check so I probably am gonna stop looking until then. I am gonna go to my bank though on monday and see about a personal loan to get the money faster. I found a silver Z28 with 16k miles on it for 13k so i think thats a sweet deal