Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Does anyone make a silver face tranny temp. guage?

Old 08-30-2003, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does anyone make a silver face tranny temp. guage?

Im looking for a quality silver face tranny temp. guage to match my silver guage layovers. I looked on Autometer's site, but I cant seem to find where Im going. There's too much b.s. on there, it gets confusing. Very unorganized if you ask me. Then on top of that, theres so much to choose from, whats the differences between all of them? I mean I know that they look differently, but does that explain the price difference? Oh...what about mechanical, electric, etc. Which one is better or which one should I get? Whats the difference? If someone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. There just too many to choose from!
Old 08-30-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Does anyone make a silver face tranny temp. guage?

The Autometer ULTRA-LITE guages have a silver face. You'll want to get an electric guage.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:16 PM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

Ultra lites the way to go I got a 3 stage pillar with them looks great
Old 08-31-2003, 01:35 AM
9 Second Club NA

You'll want to get an electric guage.
Why is that? Not doubting you, but whats the difference between the two? (mechanical/electric) Are the Ultra-Lites the only ones that have silver faces? Thanks
Old 08-31-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

With an electrical guage, you are only running a few wires. 1 ignition wire (power), 1 ground, and the sending unit wire. The sending unit installs where the tranny's drain plug goes.

With a mechanical guage, you have to run hoses to the guage. Which means if the guage is monted inside the car, you will be bringing fluid into the car. If it were to bust, or leak, that would suck.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

...and yes, I believe those are tho only ones with silver faces. At least that Autometer offers anyway.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club NA

The sending unit installs where the tranny's drain plug goes.
Not sure I follow that...it doesnt take the place of the drain plug does it? So how come they even offer the mechanical guages if theyre such a pain in the rear?

I believe those are tho only ones with silver faces. At least that Autometer offers anyway.
Are there other manufacturers that make guages specifically a silver face tranny temp. guage?

I see that Autometer has several different series/styles, but what makes them different in prices? Do they perform differently then one another, or is it just the looks that make them different in cost? I'd rather get the more expensive one if its going to be more accurate and consistent, but if theres no difference in performance, then why the big cost difference? Thanks
Old 08-31-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, the sending unit take the place of the drain plug if you have an M6. If you have an A4, you can tap the pan.

I don't know who else offers silver face guages. I think the ULTRA-LITES are more exspensive because they are "ultra lite", for race applications.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:49 PM
9 Second Club NA

Whats the difference between all the different styles/series of guages beside the appearance? Is it the look of the guages that make up all the different prices? Are there any differences in performance? I want a guage thats going to be accurate and to have a silver face. Im not just going for the look, thats why I was wondering if its worth spending the extra money or is it all about the look that makes them more expensive? Are there any other companies that make guages? If so, I'd like to take a look at what they offer? Are Autometer guages reputable/quality pieces? I apologize for all the questions, but I do appreciate everyone's help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone make a silver face tranny temp. guage?