LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

is machine work needed for rod bolt swap???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default is machine work needed for rod bolt swap???

So I guess the first question is would I need machine work, then what would the average cost for it be?

OK so I am trying to get my pricing and schedule together for some changes over the winter, and I am upgrading the heads and cam in my car. With that I may be spinning the motor higher then the 6300 that the stock rod bolts like to hold up to, so I was also thinking about upgrading the rod bolts.

Would I need to have the rods machined?

Someone told me that I could pull one bolt at a time and torque down the new one without breaking the rod apart so no machine work would be needed and others have told me that I would have to pull the pistons and rods and have the rods machined and new bearings installed because the rods would be out of round when unbolted. I have no problems having the machine work done if I need to, but I just need an idea of what has to be done. I also see this project snow balling if I pull the pistons, since then why not bump the compression, then do this or do that, I see it getting out of hand quickly...

Any experiances with this would be helpful, thanks...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told the nice ARP wave locks can distort/misalign the rod.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

They should be reconditioned when going to an ARP bolt. They do clamp harder so it distorts the big end of the rod and the machine work for the factory bolts is no longer adequite.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

i would invest in a new set of rods,lighter weight,more durable and not much more money than reconditioning thee old rods...
if you have the PM rods you cannot resize them..
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah I think the 95's are PM rods, aren't they???
Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

^He has a good point. You can pick up a set of I beam rods for not much more than you will have in the stock ones.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe the LT1 PM rods are resizeable. It is the fractured cap PM LT4 rods that at one time were not, BUT now that the aftermarket offers fractured cap rods they also offer oversized OD bearings to make fractured cap rods resizeable by simply going bigger. I have no specific knowledge that the aftermarket bearings for resizing the aftermarket fractured cap rods will work in the LT4 rods, but I am aware of no issues that would stop it.

In normal rod resizing a small amount of material is removed from the mating surface to make the hole smaller so they can rehone it to size. A fractured cap rod does not have a machined mating surface, it is just as it sounds, they break the rod big end and that rough break mates much more securely than two flat surfaces. But this means you can't machine those surfaces and make the rod opening smaller, so instead they go bigger and use thicker bearings.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive spun stock bolts to 7200...6800 shift points...never spun a bearing...hoestly if your only gogna go 6800 or so go for it...make sure you keep fresh oil in it and decent oil pressure...most ive ever done is refresh a stock bottom end with new bearings and rings and they have been fine for years ofracing.......
Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daniel6718
ive spun stock bolts to 7200...6800 shift points...never spun a bearing...hoestly if your only gogna go 6800 or so go for it...make sure you keep fresh oil in it and decent oil pressure...most ive ever done is refresh a stock bottom end with new bearings and rings and they have been fine for years ofracing.......
word. oiling is the key for the longevity of lt1.

6300 should be no issue with stock rod bolts. btw slowformula nice setup

Quick Reply: is machine work needed for rod bolt swap???