Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get Timing Retard control and Nitrous To work Together

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to get Timing Retard control and Nitrous To work Together

So I have been trying to put together the rest of my nitrous system and I want a setup where the timing is retarded when I am spraying but when I'm not spraying I am back to my NA tune.

Lets say this.. I am not a forgetfull person but I am human and make mistakes.. so I dont want to have to re-engage the timing retard unit manually every time I want to spray, but I also dont want to have to turn the timing retard unit off manually every time I'm just driving around the street NA.

I am looking at 2 timing retard units. The Lingenfelter 2 step which is attractive because it also gives me launch control and I am looking at the Interface system.

Is there a way I can run the 2 step and have the timing retard feature be enabled automatically only when I'm spraying?

Also most people start spraying at 3k rpm till about 500 rpm below redline, yet most people launch their car at 3k+ if they have some tires/suspension... wont the car start spraying on the line?

Last edited by sciff5; 08-13-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be able to...if not just get a timing tuner which has both a window switch and timing retard capabilities
Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sciff5
So I have been trying to put together the rest of my nitrous system and I want a setup where the timing is retarded when I am spraying but when I'm not spraying I am back to my NA tune.

Lets say this.. I am not a forgetfull person but I am human and make mistakes.. so I dont want to have to re-engage the timing retard unit manually every time I want to spray, but I also dont want to have to turn the timing retard unit off manually every time I'm just driving around the street NA.

I am looking at 2 timing retard units. The Lingenfelter 2 step which is attractive because it also gives me launch control and I am looking at the Interface system.

Is there a way I can run the 2 step and have the timing retard feature be enabled automatically only when I'm spraying?

Also most people start spraying at 3k rpm till about 500 rpm below redline, yet most people launch their car at 3k+ if they have some tires/suspension... wont the car start spraying on the line?
the car wont spray, its two fold, you have to reach a certain rpm AND be at WOT. When you are staging, your not going WOT to get to 3000 rpms.

The interface will pull timing safely for you and at a great cost. if you want a KILLER package, run the interface and our new microEDGE controller together. That would be one nasty combination with more saftey features then any other product out there
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may also concider the the Timing tuner or the MSD Timming twister. They pull the timming in a reliable and precise way.

I need to read up on the lingerfelter unit to see how it pulls the timming. I am not a fan of using the iat..
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

The nicest feature of the Interface is that you can physically see the timing being pulled! Not to mention all of the fueling features that it offers. I would be skeptical about listening to some advice given based on the fact that you can physically see this timing being pulled. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask away. Thanks!

Nick
Old 08-14-2008, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

According to MSD you can see the timming being pulled using there unit as well. I have not used one. I do know you can not with the Timming tunner. However they both offer a more reliable and precise way of pulling timming VS using a IAT... If you want to pull timming using a Iat just use a simple resister. There are write ups here on the board that explain how. You can do that for a few dollars..
Dave
Old 08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

To the original poster, I highly recommend calling the manufactures of these products so that you can be fully aware of how they work. Anything that plugs inline with the crank position sensor will not show up while data logging. I'm not at all saying that it doesn't work, just that it will not show the timing being pulled.

Nick
Old 08-14-2008, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Nick,
The timming twister plugs into the Crank sensor as well as the cam position sensor.
Dave
Old 08-14-2008, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

That is correct Dave. We have installed quite a few. On the first one we didn't see the timing pulled via the scan tool while the vehicle was on our dyno so MSD tech support was called. MSD tech support confirmed that it was operating correctly by not showing the time being pulled via a scan tool.

Matt

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Nick,
The timming twister plugs into the Crank sensor as well as the cam position sensor.
Dave
Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Yep. Here is what I posted in the other thread on the same subject. The first tech we talk to had no idea what he was talking about. Go figure...

(However we just called MSD again and the unit will actually pull everybit of up to 45 degrees but you CAN NOT VARIFY its pulling timming unless you have some type of after market dataloging software. So the original guy we talk to at MSD had no idea what he was talking about and just bull ****** his way through it. The guy we talk to this morning knew what was going on and gave better info. So yes it sucks that you can not varify the timming being pulled however the method that the MSD unit is using to pull timming will be more precise and more reliable than using the IAT sensor. Not to metion you dont need tuning software to pull a good amount of timming.

Just thought I would share with you.. )
Dave
Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Yep. Here is what I posted in the other thread on the same subject. The first tech we talk to had no idea what he was talking about. Go figure...

(However we just called MSD again and the unit will actually pull everybit of up to 45 degrees but you CAN NOT VARIFY its pulling timming unless you have some type of after market dataloging software. So the original guy we talk to at MSD had no idea what he was talking about and just bull ****** his way through it. The guy we talk to this morning knew what was going on and gave better info. So yes it sucks that you can not varify the timming being pulled however the method that the MSD unit is using to pull timming will be more precise and more reliable than using the IAT sensor. Not to metion you dont need tuning software to pull a good amount of timming.

Just thought I would share with you.. )
Dave
Thanks for clearing that up. I understand mistakes happen which is the exact reason why we try and provide the most accurate information to those seeking advice.

Thanks.

Nick
Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

What can I say... I cant be perfect all the time....
Old 08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

What can I say... I cant be perfect all the time....
lol, I meant we as in all of us vendors.

Nick
Old 08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So on a note with HSW Interface-
I see you pimping it in threads about pulling timing, but odds are we need to pull more than 3 degrees- it would be nice if that was mentioned a little more instead of danced around-
Dont get me wrong, Its an awesome product that I am planning on using for my build but pulling timing doesnt seem like its strong suit-
Old 08-14-2008, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fstphx
So on a note with HSW Interface-
I see you pimping it in threads about pulling timing, but odds are we need to pull more than 3 degrees- it would be nice if that was mentioned a little more instead of danced around-
Dont get me wrong, Its an awesome product that I am planning on using for my build but pulling timing doesnt seem like its strong suit-
You're right...its main feature is the fueling. However for people that don't need to pull boat loads of timing its a great alternative that doesn't carry a huge price.

Nick
Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

man im gonna be spraying like a 350 hit...guess the interface wont work for me...someone needs to come out with a 3 stage window switch with multiple gears lock outs, tps, and the pulls timing not from the IAT!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So anyone have any feedback on the lingenfelter unit? The lingenfelter unit pulls up to 10 degrees of timing, but I dont know if you can trigger the timing retard only when the nitrous is on.

If I have to I'll go with the timing tuner... its more expensive which sucks but it does include a progressive controller which is nice.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
man im gonna be spraying like a 350 hit...guess the interface wont work for me...someone needs to come out with a 3 stage window switch with multiple gears lock outs, tps, and the pulls timing not from the IAT!!!!
Ya um, as was noted earlier the main function of the interface is not to pull timing. i guess you had missed that part and we would never suggest someone use the interface or any other device to pull that much timing. Virtually everyone running that large of a shot is pulling timing through the tune.

In that case you would want our EDGE II controller, does all that and a **** load more. look out for it
Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
FormerVendor

So anyone have any feedback on the lingenfelter unit? The lingenfelter unit pulls up to 10 degrees of timing, but I dont know if you can trigger the timing retard only when the nitrous is on.

If I have to I'll go with the timing tuner... its more expensive which sucks but it does include a progressive controller which is nice.
what vehichle do you have? the interface can pull much more on the LT1, LS1/LS2 gto's and LS2/LS7 corvettes. As i said above, the MAIN feature of the interface is for fueling adjustments, but on these vehicles it does present another timing pull option
Old 08-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry guys, but the timing issue has been danced around alot- I have seen several people that havent realized it wouldnt pull enough-
It is convenient if you are spraying under 175 on an LS1, it avoids putting together a simple IAC trick circuit

If I understand right for those of us going bigger- (200+) we either need a Tune (cos 5) or something additional like your timing tuner
So what does it take in a tune to allow more to be pulled with it, I am having a NA tune done, What can i have him do to llow the interface to pull what it can with other cars?
I am not trying to derail the thread just trying to figure out what it seems like alot of us are right now-

Quick Reply: How to get Timing Retard control and Nitrous To work Together