Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whos done a single cat in I-pipe? Did it take away the fuel smell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whos done a single cat in I-pipe? Did it take away the fuel smell?

The fuel smell is killing me!! and I'm tired of hearing about how I always smell of fuel. plus it cant be good for keeping brain cells. Doesn't it cause cancer actually? lol. So I'm going to run dual cutouts up front when I want to run WOT. The cat is strictly to get rid of the fuel smell when daily driving/cruising. I can't fit dual cats and cutouts in a y-pipe so I've decided to run dual cutouts and a single cat in the i-pipe. Anyone done this with good results (good results meaning smell of fuel is gone or greatly reduced??)

I've read that the cats cant get hot enough in the i-pipe to "do their job." No offense to mother nature but I'm not concerned with emissions (thats what my 95 Honda DD is for ), I just want the fuel smell gone. Does the exhaust being hot allow the cat to reduce emissions and therefore fuel? Can anyone prove that the cat doesn't do a good job in the i-pipe? Who's done it???

Which cats are good for reducing the fuel smell? I could give two ***** about flow, thats a mute point. I would think that the "high-flow" cats would suck at this.

How big is the intermediate pipe on a stock Z28 muffler? How big is a stock cat? I might just put a stock catalytic convertor back on.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoot I have the fuel smell with high flow cats. My exhaust smell like 1972.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Put an ory back on and you'll quickly remember what raw fuel smells like, trust me, I know.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that smell. Smells like fun.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Kind of like standing in a freshly painted Johnny house.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

my true duals had Magnaflow cats in the H pipe and it still smelled like gas....my ORY and Corsa exhaust doesn't smell any different than my TD's with cats smelled. I'm going to have to buy a different DD, as I really don't want to have to dry clean my suits every week.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something must be wrong. I do not have the smell of fun with my car. The only time I have seen that is when a car runs pig rich. What is ur air/fuel ratio. I run 14.6 and have no smell. Sounds like a little tuneing could fix that better than a cat. And might get you a few more MPG.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Wouldn't dual cats and a single cut-out be better than the other way around? I have magnaflow cats in my y-pipe then Corsa and get some smell only at startup.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Wouldn't dual cats and a single cut-out be better than the other way around? I have magnaflow cats in my y-pipe then Corsa and get some smell only at startup.
Look at my sig. Most cats don't like 800rwhp. I don't think it would be good for backpressure either, lol.

I'm going to run dual cutouts in the y and add a single magnaflow in the I-pipe. We'll see what happens.