Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynotune switch commander, purge and 360 heater help RELAY related

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post Dynotune switch commander, purge and 360 heater help RELAY related

Lets start off. I HATE relays. For whatever reason I can NEVER get them to work properly??? For my 360 heater I had a heavy duty switch on the bracket and fed the power straight to it and just flipped it, because I could NOT get the relay to work. Well now I am having the same issues with my purge. I guess if it is not laid out to me I am lost. So I am going to get 2 new relays and harnesses today and start all over. Here is the control panel or simple switches I am using: http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...H%20CENTER.pdf

So first challange: wire in purge. I had it connected to the momentary button prior to the panl and it functioned fine.
Dynotune Nitrous control panel White wire to PIN86 of relay, PIN85 to ground, and I assumed PIN30 to 12+ and 87 would go to the wire from the mom. switch that activated the purge??? That did not work so here is what I need
Pin86- Control center White wire
Pin85- common ground
Pin30-middle or side? does it matter?
Pin87-?

Once thats fixxed I now have a 360 bottle heater wiring issue. Same think I am retarded and can't get a relay to work. I have not even tried with the switch. Right now I am what I feel set up for success. I have 3 wires at my bottle heater now one is 12+, one ground, and the brown wire from the switch. Where do they all go on the relay. Again I will assume the 12+ will go to the relay, the ground will be split and go to the relay and bottle heater, while the brown goes to the relay???
Pin86- Control center brown wire
Pin85- common ground
Pin30-middle or side? does it matter?
Pin87-?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok Teddy... let's back up here a little. First, electronics 101
There are two parts to a relay. Part 1 is the activating coil. It's represented by the coil looking lines in the pic below. That is the LOW CURRENT activation side. Switched 12v on one side, ground on the other. It doesn't matter which is 85 and which is 86 as long as it's 12v/gnd.
The other part of the relay is just contacts. That's for the HIGH CURRENT. It's like taking a wire, cutting it, and taping the two ends together. It just completes a connection.

Ok, so on to your issues.
1. you don't really need a relay on a purge. A decent switch will handle the momentary contact.
2. The "white" wire you're talking about from the nitrous control is 12v when activated. That will go on either 85 or 86 and ground the other pin.
3. The third wire on the bottle heater is for activation. That wire will go to the pressure switch, and from there go to pin 85 (or 86) of a relay.
That relay pin 30 will go directly to the battery (with a heavy guage wire) and pin 87 to the heater.

I've attached an 860 picture below and added pin numbers to the wires. I don't know why they don't do it this way. It would make life so much easier.
Attached Thumbnails Dynotune switch commander, purge and 360 heater help RELAY related-relaydiagram.jpg   Dynotune switch commander, purge and 360 heater help RELAY related-860.jpg  

Last edited by Todd157k; 08-14-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Todd- You are the man my friend. Most of that really makes sense I guess I need to just take it all in. With the purge when I go directly to the switch I get nothing, but my button worrked fine. Oh well. I will look into that. Now do I HAVE to use the pressure switch for the heater? I want to be able to just manually turn it off and on???
Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

it would be a REALLY good idea to use the pressure switch. The 860 is a very good heater and can easily "over heat" your bottle.. ie. too much pressure. Let it do what it is designed to do.
As for the purge...
Attached Thumbnails Dynotune switch commander, purge and 360 heater help RELAY related-purge.jpg  
Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After looking over your diagram for the purge it seems to line up exactly how I had it wired??? I replaced my intake manifold and TB while it has been at the stereo shop so I am going to connect my mom. switch and see if my purge is still working. If not I might have pulled a ground or something?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Teddy, I have a Bottle pressure switch I am not using any more (Vseries gauge the pressure switch is built in the gauge). I get home in Sept and if you want it I will send it to ya. Hit me up with a PM first week in Sept if you want it.

Jim
Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jim- I really appreciate the kind offr buddy. I actually have one just never put it on the bottle. Looks like I will be doing so.