LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What Lifters and gasket set for Hotcam Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Lifters and gasket set for Hotcam Kit?

Iam looking into getting a good price "quote" on how much a hot cam kit and everything is going to set me back and i was wondering what lifters most people use with this kit?

Also was wondering all the gaskets i will need to replace when doing the cam swap?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your fine with your stock lifters if you only have 38k on the motor. My hotcam runs fine with 66k lifters.

As for the gaskets, your going to need water pump gaskets (2), the 3 seals in the timing cover (opti, crank, and water pump drive), the actual Timing cover gasket itself, and intake manifold gaskets (2). You could go as far as getting valve cover gaskets (2) but they are totally reuseable, as long as they arent leaking. (I reused mine).

To get the timing cover off you are going to have to drop the front couple bolts on the oil pan and BE VERY CAREFUL as to not rip the oil pan gasket, or you will be doing one of those too.

I could be forgetting something (horrible memory), but other than the gaskets the hotcam kit comes with everything you need (dont forget to get some tuning!)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone sell a kit with the gaskets needed?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Launching!

thunder racing has a kit. Its cheaper to just go to autozone. the timing cover gaskets all come in one kit. And then all you need is the intake gasket. It also comes with RTV.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The springs in the HOT cam kit are fine for LT4 hollow valves but are insufficient for the heavier LT1 valves. The rockers are limited to .550 lift so when you decide you want more power you will have to buy new rockers again. Once you consider these details the HOT kit is much less of a bargain. Even if you decide on that cam consider buying the parts seperate so you get rockers that will last you through more advanced modding and so you get adequate springs.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

summit racing has a bunch of gasket kits
Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The springs in the HOT cam kit are fine for LT4 hollow valves but are insufficient for the heavier LT1 valves. The rockers are limited to .550 lift so when you decide you want more power you will have to buy new rockers again. Once you consider these details the HOT kit is much less of a bargain. Even if you decide on that cam consider buying the parts seperate so you get rockers that will last you through more advanced modding and so you get adequate springs.
Ya i know that the hot cam kit limits you on going bigger, but this is really all i need, i just want low 12's on motor and i think with the hot cam kit and LT's i think i could easily hit that. I run 13.16's with the mods in my sig. Once i do the hot cam that will pretty much be the end of my mods besides suspension, i dont need anything bigger. So all in all for my use i think the hot cam kit is perfect for me.... anyone agree?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do, its all about what you want. I went with a hotcam just to get me into the 12s also. If I had been going with the LE2s at the same time that I had planned for this winter, I would have just run something more like the 306/847 or a custom grind from where I get the heads. But your goals are different than mine, I expect to go bigger. If you dont and all your looking for is 12s, then the hotcam sounds pretty good for you.

I happen to like it alot though, its still a good cam although lots hate on it.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, iam really on a budget and this winter i want to throw LT's and a cam in it, and i really dont think i can get another full set up like the hot cam kit with goin with the cc305. Even with the hot cam it will come out close to 800 with the kit, gaskets, and tuning...

Plus i have seen people saying on here they've run 12.0's with the hot cam and bolt ons, With adding some suspension i think i could have a high 11 sec car which is enough to get me kicked out of the track for no cage. Also would adding better flowing heads later on help me out much? or what other supporting mods will help me out to get the best results out of the hot cam.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

You need to understand that just because some peiople manage something does not mean you will. Hell there is a "bolton"(lot of bolt-off going on too) Impala that runs 12.3, yet there are aftermarket headed strokers with "good" porting that only manage that number and folks pretend that is good too.

The HOT cam alone is not going to gain a huge amount, I think that getting a full second or more from a cam and some suspension is a bit optomistic. Sure guys have run low 12s or even high 11s cam only, BUT you have a lot of stuff in the car they took out and are probably lacking some other mods they had too.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

2XR,

I am struck by the fact that the primary go-fast goodie in your sig is the high stall converter (okay, you improved the intake and exhaust somewhat...), a modification that my reading suggests is resisted by most guys that want to improve their A4 cars. Did you ever take the car to the track before you put the converter in? I'd be very interested in any results you might have. (BTW did you put in a shift kit while you had the tranny out?)

Also, what rear gear do you have?

Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Cheers -- Gary
Old 08-16-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Z48LT-1-
Yes i did run the car before the stall convertor, probably atleast 60 times over this year and last and the best time over all was a 13.7. after the stall i was able to drop 6 tenths and run a 13.16. I put slicks on before the stall and they ended up making me bog out of the hole, but once i put the stall in the car launches like a mother f******. Also i did not put in a shift kit, i was too short on cash at the time.

96capricemgr-
You really think that putting non-emmisions longtubes on (have stock manifolds now) so losing near 50lbs from all that junk, putting in a hot cam, and plus iam thinking about deleting my a/c iam not going to drop maybe 8 tenths to a full second? I find this hard to beleive.... anyone else with me?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

He has an odd way of saying things sometimes but his point is valid. What he is getting at is you want 12s and you could have them with a bolt-on only car. But you would have to set that car up to be a complete all-the-time drag car though, gut it out, get a 4k stall, and all the rest of it. He is also saying without the proper stuff your not going to go anywhere, which I think we all knew was true anyways. Hes right about the part where people throw heads/cam at cars all day long, and some just dont perform. This is because no thought went in beforehand.

But for what you want (mid-low 12s) the hotcam will accomplish that, maybe even without anything else (headers, ect..). It might be hard to hit the 11s with a hotcam and what you have currently, but doing the other bolt ons and maybe some gears will push you in that direction.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

For some reason I thought you already had shorties and were swapping to long tubes. My bad, maybe just confused your's with another car.

From manifolds to headers with a cam then you might get a full second.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya i just have to good old stock manifolds. And ya i def think that i should get around a second goin from stock cam and manifolds to a hotcam and longtubes. Iam really just looking for a low 12 second car, and its gonna be completely street driveable. Only weight reduction would be !sparetire !backseat and i might take out the A/C. If i ever want faster than low 12's ill throw a 100 shot on and hit mid to low 11's which is enough to get me kicked out for no cage.

Does anyone think i should replace my timing chain? the motor only has 38k on it... I dont think iam gonna worry about the lifters, but iam not 100% sure on the timing chain.

Anything else besides the gaskets i'll need for the swap?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dropped a full second with the hotcam kit. i ran 14.01@99.*mph with LT Headers and magnaflow muffler. stock transmission.

i put the hotcam in and i ran a 13.07@106mph(in sig). only other mods done was a catback , SFC's and LCA's. 2.0 60 foot. so i think a 1 sec drop is more then possible with this cam because i have results that prove it

its not the biggest, baddest, fastest cam out there, but dont always believe all the hate it gets. it has proven itself time and time again.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 08-16-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya i have seen your results over on z28.com I think ill drop a full second if not maybe a lil more with a hot cam, computer tune, and LT's thats will be enough to have to pay another 700 bucks to have a 6 point cage installed. Iam preety set on the Hot cam, if i ever want faster ill add some better flowing heads, or add a lil giggle juice haha
Old 08-16-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Plus i think ill have my tranny or rear end blow out after some low 12 high 11 sec runs then there will be more money. its never ending haha.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

your lifters and timing chain are fine. i reused mine with 100k on them and its been going strong for 10,000 miles +, I like my hotcam alot deffinitely my favorite mod by FAR
Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

I would consider just a new chain on the stock gears.

Quick Reply: What Lifters and gasket set for Hotcam Kit?