Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Key on, Fuel pump primes and primes and primes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Key on, Fuel pump primes and primes and primes...

Instead of running for a few seconds. It runs continuously. Anyone ever had that problem? It's really weird. I drove it to work this morning, monitoring the wide band every minute or so. Looked good. Parked the car. Went in to work. Came out this after noon, viola! Turn the key to the 'on' position, wait for the prime to end to crank the engine. Only it never stops. I started it and it starts fine. I drove it to the gym with the wide band showing 13.x numbers, went into the gym, came out awhile later and it the pump still just stays running. I drove out onto the feeder but now my Wide band was going nuts. 12.x to 20.x and running rough/poorly. I pulled into a gas station and opened the hood. Hmmm... nothing weird. I turned the key to on and the Inline NOS fuel pump is singing it's loud song but still never shutting off. I start the car, determined to hobble home taking it easy on the back roads and it's still Wide banding at 12.x to 20.x. After about a mile, it starts running PERFECT on the Wide band. Steady cruise is typically 14.5 while idle at the lights is 14.0 WTH?
After seeing consistency for few miles, I briefly engaged a few pounds of boost and it went right to the 11.x AFR like it should. I got to the house, shut off the motor, then turned the key on. It still just runs the fuel pump until I turn off the key. Any ideas here?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-15-2008, 06:09 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats how pumps are, they are always whining and making noise.

Especialy for an inline pump that doesnt have anything restricting the sound around it
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

I guess I wasn't clear enough. You know how when you turn on the key when you first get in the car, the fuel pump comes on for about 2 seconds to 'prime' if you don't crank the motor immediately, then the pump shuts off. Today, after work, I turned on the key to let it prime before I cranked it to start but it just ran and ran. What's even more bizarre, it starts right up, idles like a champ, but after driving it for about 15 seconds, the AFR is all over the place, but by far LEAN. I almost think it's a shorted wire. I went and bought a new relay and fuel filter and I'm going to get under the car to check all the wires while I'm down there.
Thanks for the reply though
Old 08-15-2008, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is weird sounds like your additional fuel pump is not wired to the OEM harness. The pcm controls the pump & does the shutoff after a couple of seconds. You must have not wired the extra pump to correct wire?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

This setup, as far as fuel pumps/wiring, has been in place and unchanged since 1998. Stock intank pump and NOS 5176 kit inline fuel pump. After it cooled down a bit, I put my hand held fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and then turned on the key. 43 psi. Then I got to thinking that there are some wiring issues that cause the fans to come on (but this isn't happening in this instance) and I've seen the opti harness cause the fuel pump to run when there's wiring issues as well. So this made me think it might be a wiring short. On the dash, the 'SES' light had been coming on and off as I drove home. I took out my LT1 Edit cable and Laptop and fired it up. Interesting.. DTC 43 ESC which is the knock sensor. My turbo log manifold runs close to the Knock Sensor wire so I'm going to head out there after some breakfast and see if it's shorted/shorting.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you get it figured out.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Found it. I jacked up the car, got under the passenger side, disconnected the knock sensor wire and pulled it down where I could see it pretty well. There it is. A small bare wire section that had shorted. I cut it, stripped the ends, slid on some shrink wrap, soldered the two ends together, slid the shrink wrap over the joint and then used my Harbor Freight Heatgun to shrink it down and seal it. Then, I wound strips of aluminum foil around the length of the wire, zip tied it as far away from the manifold as possible and reconnected the wire to the sensor. I then turned on the key and the fuel pump prime cycle behaved normally. That being, upon key on, the fuel pump runs for 2 seconds, then shuts off.