Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Monte Carlo Gen III/ Conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 Monte Carlo Gen III/ Conversion questions

Greetings, I posted a question several months ago concerning whether to go for a Gen III/IV engine or a built 383 for my 1972 monte carlo. Your opinions were very helpful and showed me that a Gen III/IV didn't have to cost an arm and a leg and overall were far superior to an old Gen I engine. So thank you for your help! - I have decided to go with an LQ4 truck engine as I can find them without too much trouble at auto recyclers etc.

I have three questions for you gurus out there.
1. Will the truck intake clear my hood? I realize there probably aren't many other First Gen monte drivers in here - but if you have other similar A-bodies does the intake work w/o cutting the hood or are you running LS1/6 intakes?

2. Once I get the engine I wanted to install a new cam (I can't leave well enough alone). I had thought about the GM hot cam. How will this work with the truck intake as I have read that it falls off significantly in power above 5k rpm and that's around where any of the hotter cams start making their biggest power. If the hot cam is a bad idea what else would you suggest to give me more power without killing my low end?

3. If I have to get a new intake I had contemplated going ahead and getting some L92 heads and a L76 intake. Does the truck accessory drive interfere with the L76 intake as it does with the LS1/6 intake?

Thank you for all your help in the past and for your answers to these questions!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a LQ9 w/4l65e trans in my 1968 Buick Skylark

1. The truck intake clears my stock hood but without the plastic cover that goes on top of the intake

2. I too wanted to install the L92 heads, larger cam and f.a.s.t intake before I even installed the motor but my freinds talked me into doing the swap first to see how it would run. 7,000 miles later I have no plans to upgrade. it runs great with plenty of power and lots or torque

3. I was unable to use the truck accessory drive that came with the motor because the power steering pully hit the steering gear box, so I had to use a corvette set up

I used hooker headers LS swap to A body headers w/no clearance problems
moroso oil pan w/ remote oil filter
computer and wire harness from Howe
Rock Valley stainless gas tank w/ in tank Walbro fuel pump
motor mounts from Street and Performance

Jeff

Quick Reply: 1972 Monte Carlo Gen III/ Conversion questions