Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New Jantzer Ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My New Jantzer Ported TB

I've been wanting to order a ported throttle body for months now, but I've been delaying since I've been away at school in Philly and I keep my car in Jersey. I can count on one hand the number of days I've driven it since the summer started.

Well, I've been interested now that one of our sponsors have started carrying Jantzer throttle bodies. I was interested in his because he doesn't knife edge the blade or do that useless 'epoxy mod' crap. All that stuff does is screw with your idle and risk blowing up your motor with a nice chunk of epoxy in the combustion chamber.

Well, I finally planned on coming home this weekend for some family stuff, and Chris @ Ccperformance was running a special in the sponsor sales section, so I finally decided to pull the trigger on it. The only problem was he was shipping all the way from Oregon and I live in New Jersey and I didn't even see the special until Monday night. I gave him a call Wednesday morning at 12pm ET (9am PT, his time) to order the part and pray it got here on time. I wanted a black powdercoated throttle body for my car and lo and behold, he had one in stock. By the time I got off the train yesterday, it was already at my house.

Yup, from Oregon to New Jersey in 2 days! Niiiccceeee.

I've seen plenty of threads on ported TB's, and they all seem to show one, two or no pics at all, and I think this makes a lot of people really reluctant to pull the trigger on these things. I've tried to take some comprehensive shots of the piece for you guys because, really, it's a beautiful work of art.

Sorry if that might be a little excessive for a throttle body, but I want you guys to get the best idea possible. The kit also came with a free throttle body bypass, and you can see that attached in the second to last picture.

The results:

Throttle response is definitely a hell of a lot better. As for power, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I can feel a difference or not because honestly, if you can seriously detect 5-10rwhp, you're a special human being. I believe most people feel those small gains in their heads only. Plus, my car is so out of tune from the headers and cutout, it's hard to judge any SOTP gain correctly The increase in throttle response is definitely there, though.

So, for the increase in throttle response and the beautiful look alone, it's worth it. I'm sure I gained power, but I'll never know how much. Every little bit helps.

Thanks Chris for the insanely fast shipping and the nice TB. I'm going to put the core in the mail today and have it sent back to you.

To those of you afraid to do the ported TB swap yourself (and I'm sure they're out there), it's really easy. It takes about 40 minutes with 20 of those minutes getting the bottom right coolant hose off You need one of those funky star-shaped screwdrivers to get the screws for the sensors off. The sensors come on the ported TB from Jantzer and the top sensor has the screws already on there, so you just have to swap the screws over on the bottom sensor. You can see what part you need on www.ls1howto.com but any decent ratchet set probably comes with it. I have a Craftsman ~250 piece set and it had everything. You'll also need a 10mm socket and about 7 paper towels to catch all the coolant that spills out. I figured one would be enough...WRONG!

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-16-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks nice i would grind the back side of the screws off no need to have them that long...maybe only worth 1 hp...find 5 little things like that and they all add up...

someone seems excited for their P&P TB...haha...dont even wann see the post for a h/c install
Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just finished putting on my ported throttle body from Chris at CC I put it on in conjunction with a meziere electric pump so I have gotta wire up the pump still to see if theres any difference. The throttle body porting did look nice, clean, and even on it and you couldn't beat the price.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You bastard, I called Chris at 1pm my time (10am PST) Wednesday and the last black powdercoated one had been ordered (I talked to him the night before - but was chewing on whether to pay the extra for powdercoating or not).

HEHE

He's going to get another black powdercoated one in next week and when it get's in i'll place the order. After seeing your pics I really can't wait!!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Resident

Yea, that was me. He told me he was opening up at 9am PT so I called at 12:02 ET. I wanted that last one or else I would have had to wait a few more weeks

It'll be worth the wait, though. It's a very nice piece. MUCH better throttle response. Doesn't feel any faster up top, but it's A LOT more responsive down low. I feel like there's a huge difference under the curve. My tires are completely useless under 15 mph. Top end the gain wouldn't be nearly enough to feel a SOTP difference IMO and I'm not going to act like there is one because I can't tell.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by chrs1313
someone seems excited for their P&P TB...haha...dont even wann see the post for a h/c install
I'm just being enthusiastic because I'm sure there are tons of people who are both reluctant to get a ported TB because they think it's "not worth it" and there's a ton of people that don't know the kind of quality you get for the price. The tb cost me $221 + $10 to ship back my core to him, and since I get $69 back, that means it cost $162 for that beautiful throttle body WITH 2-day shipping AND return shipping for the core included. That's peanuts, and most of the money is in the powdercoating and spring polishing. The actual TB itself is a measly $60. If you're on the fence, do it. It's worth it, and I want you to see why with plenty of pics.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

I have one of their ported throttle bodies, nice work, nice guys to deal with, but unfortunatley I didn't see any gains at the track though but I'm gonna give it another chance later on.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You won't see anything at the track - trust me. Say it gives you 5rwhp at the top end. That's not going to give a significant gain in et or mph. What it does give you is enhanced throttle response in general driving. That's what this mod is all about.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
You won't see anything at the track - trust me. Say it gives you 5rwhp at the top end. That's not going to give a significant gain in et or mph. What it does give you is enhanced throttle response in general driving. That's what this mod is all about.
i can guarantee that my P&P throttle body from bo white gave me 10rwhp at the track over a stock unmodified tb...plus it was only $75 shipped......now that a deal...
Old 08-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a Bo White also, and while it may have given me 10hp, I saw no consistent gain in et or mph. Not complaining, though, just stating my experience. I love it and will put one on my M6 car in time if I keep it for the long haul.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All this track talk, and Anthony doesn't even go to the track.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
All this track talk, and Anthony doesn't even go to the track.
why afraid he is going to run a 13...
Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i can guarantee that my P&P throttle body from bo white gave me 10rwhp at the track over a stock unmodified tb...plus it was only $75 shipped......now that a deal...
Bo does good work. I am actually a little less money though

Choco I'm glad your happy with your new TB, thank you for the kind words
Old 08-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Resident

How the **** am I going to go to the track when it's only open Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights and I can't make it home from Jersey til Saturday morning? It's completely impossible to go to the track when I don't live in the same state as my car. I get to go MAYBE once or twice a year. I'm not going anywhere until I get it tuned and that won't be anytime soon. Otherwise, it's a waste of my time and money.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
How the **** am I going to go to the track when it's only open Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights and I can't make it home from Jersey til Saturday morning? It's completely impossible to go to the track when I don't live in the same state as my car. I get to go MAYBE once or twice a year. I'm not going anywhere until I get it tuned and that won't be anytime soon. Otherwise, it's a waste of my time and money.
sounds like vagina talk to me...
Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Resident

sounds like vagina talk to me...
Send me $160 + $14 (one day's pay for me plus track admission) and I'll be happy to take a Friday off and run my car Personal check, money order or cash would be fine.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Send me $160 + $14 (one day's pay for me plus track admission) and I'll be happy to take a Friday off and run my car Personal check, money order or cash would be fine.
have you ever ran the car at the track...
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Real happy with mine. Increased the response but went to the track and ran the same time and MPH. Maybe with more mods I will see it shine more.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

i think the ported t/b is mostly an low end feel and throttle response mod, i never expected to see anything at the track with it
Old 08-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sneak preview