Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

painting my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting my car

so i need to get my car repainted but i dont want to spend a lot and i know im gonna hear the you get what you pay for line but i just cant spend a few grand right now on paint. but i just need my car to be sprayed back to the oem color i have the paint but need it done how much should this cost im not gonna be super picky about anything but just want a decent job.
and everyone says oh this person can do it real cheap but how much is real cheap gonna be any ideas how much have you guys need cars get painted for that was a good deal.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes your gonna get what ya pay for bottom line in this field, and oh just sprayin it back to a oem color dosent make it cheaper at all, its gonna be the same still the same labor rates, still the same process
a complete everything comes off glass all moldings everything!, for a good example the shop i work for body labor is 65 paint is 65, for custom work or restoration work it goes up to 85, the last car we did which was a complete ran the guy 4,000, and my boss gave him a break becasue hes our state farm guy
anything lower then that i wouldnt look twice at the shop, you will be picky when the car looks like a ****** 12 yr old painted it
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years ago I had an old chevy truck painted at Maaco for under $1000, I did all the body work and I did all the jams, they just did the final prep & sprayed the outside. It was a decent job, no show peice, but I got complements on it all the time. I sold the truck about 6 years ago and I saw it again a couple of months ago and it still looked good. It wasn't perfect, but it definantly passed the 20/20 test-(20 feet away @ 20 mph) it looked fantastic.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

what you need is to fix your current paint, paint small parts, fix dents and then polish the whole thing, the resaults are not as good as a new paint, but not worse then some budged paintjob
Old 08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

i agree with thule!!
Or just save up and spend 4-5k and get it done right, whoever does it can easily spend $1,500.00 in just materials..
Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your goin back oem you shouldnt need it jammed or need your glass taken out....just do your basic body work...400 grit to the clear to ruff it up...then get alot i mean alot of light and fix all dents or rock chips you need to(rock chips use spot filler)( dents if they are bigger than rock use bondo) i know alot of ppl frown on that but they are dents not holes) if the surface is clean you wont have a prob...then take your materials you have to a paint shop and they should take you from there and they arent goin t charge you 4-5000 to just spray it...pm me and ill give you my number and give you some more hints on what to do....dont let these guys fool you...its easy stuff to learn.. really it is, you just gotta get out there and do it or you wont learn...i do this stuff everyday man..my dad and I OWN our own shop soo just give me a pm and ill shoot you my number

Quick Reply: painting my car