Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorted Meziere Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorted Meziere Water Pump

I just got finished installing my new meziere electric pump and it is FU**ING SHORTED I spent the better half of last night after work installing the pump itself and removing the heater hoses. I went today to wire it up after work and spent about 4 hours thinking I was stupid. I first wired it up the simple way using the blue power wire from the pump to the gray fuel pump power wire and the black wire to ground. I buttoned everything up and filled the car with coolant and then turned the key and hear a click I go to turn it over it wont start. It blew the fuel pump fuse. So thinking about what I could have done wrong I realize there is nothing I did wrong. I replace the fuse and unplug the water pump and the fuel pump fuse stays fine car starts and runs. So thinking about this some more I think to myself that maybe its overloading the circuit so ok I go and get all the quick disconnects and wiring and quick splices to wire in a relay on the circuit spending an hour and 25 bucks i come back spend another 45 minutes wiring it up making sure I wire it all up correctly. I go to do it again and click the fuse now inline with water pump blows. I swap out and go get another relay from my toolbox and still same results. I unplug it and carefully test all the wires making sure only the 30 wire on the relay has power when key off and that the trigger wires are hot for the first 3 seconds after key on. I check the ground and its fine. I then check the resistance reading between the two wires coming from the pump and it only reads .5 ohms which seems crazy low considering if you touch the two leads together you get the same reading. So I have come up with that the brand new pump is sh*t. I am also a certifed gm driveability tech so I doubt its my wiring skills but if anyone has any ideas or things I have overlooked please help me out I hate that I have to now have my car down til I get a new pump from Meziere.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

have you tried hotwiring the pump.....right off the battery... to see if it works then?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was afraid of doing that because if it is shorted I dont wanna mess up the warranty without talking to Meziere
Old 08-17-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute. If it's shorted it's crap anyway so what's stopping you from hooking it up direct. Why didn't you use a relay in the first place. I've had a Meziere in my truck for over 5 years with no problem. You should contact Meziere to find out what the resistance of the motor windings are supposed to read. If you're a GM Driveability Tech you know Ohms law and this ain't rocket science. You know the control side and load side of a relay. You know how much amperage the motor draws so you know the correct fuse to use. What else is there?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The instructions say to just wire blue wire to triggered ign voltage and I had plans to later wire in a switch in the dash with a relay but I just needed to get the car going so I decided to wire it up the easy way as per the directions to get it out. From the resistance readings I'm almost sure its shorted the motor should be higher than .5 ohms. I have gone over it again and again and I am positive the pump is bad. So I hooked it up to battery voltage and it wont do **** so its junk I guess I'll be taking it back off to drive over to Meziere to see what they can do.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

I feel your pain. However this is a good lesson learned. Whenever possible test your parts before installation - especially electronics. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

I'm surprised Meziere would let that pump out the door shorted internally or to the frame. Have you checked continuity from the leads to the housing? I'm sure the internal resistance of the windings is low. Whether .5 ohms is considered shorted is a question Meziere will have to answer.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear that. I would check continuity from the leads to the housing also. Maybe there is an interference somewhere that is keeping the motor from turning?? just a thought. If it were me I would get some large gauge wire and directly wire it to the battery and check the amp draw from the motor.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

I'm going to open the connector to my Meziere in the morning and give you the resistance values.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Meziere resistance values on a workng pump(5 years and counting) using a Fluke DVOM
Pin to Pin: 0.5 ohms- same reading as yours that you say is shorted-WRONG
Either Pin to chassis: OL (infinity)
Obviously from my results you're doing something wrong. Your motor is NOT shorted
I did mine 5 years ago, but may be I can think it thru anyway. The relay coil(control side) goes to the trigger wire. The other coil wire goes to chassis. The load side has to be fused of course(not against a make believe internal short, but against insulation chaffing which you have guarded against using heat shrink tubing or some other type of spagetti, right?). I hope so because I always use it and mine has never failed in 50K miles and 5 years of service, but that's just me. The load wire from the pump goes to the N.O. relay contact. The common relay contact goes to a fused 12Vdc source. The black pump wire goes straight to the chassis. Did I get it right?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds right. On http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=26 I followed the relay schematic exactly as shown. Grey fuel pump trigger wire to to terminal 85, straight battery voltage to terminal 30, 86 to ground along with the black wire coming off the pump, and the blue wire off the meziere to 87. And nothing is chaffed or touching together. I have checked it repeatedly the grey fuel pump wire I'm using only has 12v with key on for the first 3 seconds or with car running so I'm sure I'm using the right wire.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

OK, I'm flying out to there today to help you since my daughter lives in the San Diego area. I can visit her while I'm wiring your Meziere. You have to supply the solder pencil, solder, shrink tubing and of course the medical marijuana. It's legal in California you know. I can get married to an illegal alien homosexual while I'm there and ride around in my new husbands Camaro since illegal aliens can get a drivers license in California(and register to vote at the DMV while they're at it[Motor Voter]). Problem is when we get pulled over for smoking my legal medical marijuana in our Camaro my new husband will probably get deported since our Camaro will have headers which are illegal out there in liberal California. On second thought, maybe you better do your own wiring. I've already helped you more than enough by breaking open the connector on my Meziere which has been working fine for over 5 years until you claimed your new Meziere was shorted. Maybe California isn't really all that great after all. It might just be the "Land of the fruits and nuts" like they say.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I talked to Meziere and they told me to just bring it in and theyll swap it out. They told me the pump is bad if its doing what its doing.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
OK, I'm flying out to there today to help you since my daughter lives in the San Diego area. I can visit her while I'm wiring your Meziere. You have to supply the solder pencil, solder, shrink tubing and of course the medical marijuana. It's legal in California you know. I can get married to an illegal alien homosexual while I'm there and ride around in my new husbands Camaro since illegal aliens can get a drivers license in California(and register to vote at the DMV while they're at it[Motor Voter]). Problem is when we get pulled over for smoking my legal medical marijuana in our Camaro my new husband will probably get deported since our Camaro will have headers which are illegal out there in liberal California. On second thought, maybe you better do your own wiring. I've already helped you more than enough by breaking open the connector on my Meziere which has been working fine for over 5 years until you claimed your new Meziere was shorted. Maybe California isn't really all that great after all. It might just be the "Land of the fruits and nuts" like they say.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Funny. you had me til the second sentence.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

That's my cynical commentary on how you can live the liberal lifestyle in California, but if you put headers on your car you get thrown in jail.