Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a blow down tube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a blow down tube?

My bottle is going to be mounted on the trans tunnel between the rear seats.

Do I need a blow down tube? I'm asking this only for safety concerns, not because of dragstrip regulation. Please advise.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't "need" it. If you like leaving the bottle in the car I would reccommend it.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't have one, (
Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I ran only to run at the track, you can drill out a seatbelt hole if you plan on not using your rear seats, works pretty well and you don't have to drill a new hole.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mindreaper
Do I need a blow down tube? I'm asking this only for safety concerns, not because of dragstrip regulation. Please advise.

Yeah you do, couple of high school kids were running a nitrous kit in the back seat with the windows up. Bottle burst and I guess they had some problems with the windows or doors opening or maybe they were on the freeway, one died other was hospitalized.

better safe then sorry imho, you have to think of your safety and the safety of your passengers and other people on the road. How well would you handle a bottle bursting in your backseat while you are doing 70? Would it startle you enough to say...move the wheel or brake suddenly?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. OK, I'm convinced. I'm gonna get one.

I got rid off my power antenna at the back (I got the antenna hole welded shut and the quarter panel repainted). There is a hole at the bottom of the floor where the water from the antenna used to go to. How about if I use this hole for the blowdown? Would that be fine, or would it be too far from my bottle?

From what I understand, I will need a blowdown valve fitting, then top it with a bent tube followed by some rubber hose. I'm not so keen on the rubber hose, so I would rather use braided line. What size fitting and braided line do I need?

Also, sorry for the stupid question, but what is a pressure relief disc? Is it something I've got to include in between the bottle and the blowdown valve fitting?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Odds are you already have a pressure disc installed, you need a different fitting though. The one you currently have is a bolt with a hole drilled through the middle. The disc upon super high pressure will burst letting the the excess pressure(and all your n20) out of it. You replace that bolt with one that is still hollow but has a fitting on the other end to afix a tube to, then you can run that tube outside of your car.

What the tube is made of isn't super important, metal is a good idea just so it never dry rots. Distance isn't a big concern, keep in mind if the disc bursts a LOT of pressure is venting out of the bottle real quick..secure lines if you use soft ones otherwise they will whip around hilariously.

they sell blow off kits all over the internet, grab one and bolt it up. (don't forget your drill) I'll take pics of mine later today and post them.

-Cthulu
Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cthulu
Odds are you already have a pressure disc installed, you need a different fitting though. The one you currently have is a bolt with a hole drilled through the middle. The disc upon super high pressure will burst letting the the excess pressure(and all your n20) out of it. You replace that bolt with one that is still hollow but has a fitting on the other end to afix a tube to, then you can run that tube outside of your car.

What the tube is made of isn't super important, metal is a good idea just so it never dry rots. Distance isn't a big concern, keep in mind if the disc bursts a LOT of pressure is venting out of the bottle real quick..secure lines if you use soft ones otherwise they will whip around hilariously.

they sell blow off kits all over the internet, grab one and bolt it up. (don't forget your drill) I'll take pics of mine later today and post them.

-Cthulu
Thanks for taking the trouble to explain all this, I understand better now.

...and thanks for forthcoming pics, I look forward to seeing them, and really appreciate your help!
Old 08-17-2008, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't want to cut a hole in my carpet..so I made a hole in the cupholder...it will be easier to cover up if I ever remove the system

Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

hope these help, blue thing is the blow down tube you can see it coming through the sheet metal on the left in the 3rd image.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see... none of you guys use rubber hose extentions, you have the blow down tubes poking out directly through the sheetmetal. I may just do that. Thanks for posting these photos
Old 08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you mount the bottle inside the car or in the trunk that isn't completely sealed off from the cabin, then NHRA rules say you are supposed to have a blowdown tube. I use the universal blowdown kit from Nitrous Outlet (not exactly cheap, but it's excellent quality). I think the hose is 3 or maybe 4 foot long.

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...roduct_id=1116

Quick Reply: Do I need a blow down tube?