LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cc306 vs. AI 226/234

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cc306 vs. AI 226/234

Hi, so i've been doing alot of reading on cam's and cannot decide i'm basically stuck between these two. I'm looking for good streetable power. Let me start by saying my current mods..I have intake and full exhaust, i plan on getting 4.10's once my 10 bolt detonates. I plan on porting heads/intake and cam. But i'm not sure what all is needed. I don't have enough knowledge to do it on my own, so most likely going to take it to a shop. This is my list on what i need as far as i know. 1.6rr, springs, pushrods, gaskets, 30lb injectors, msd distributor?, wires, timing chain? I'm really not sure what i need or can reuse since my car has 39k on it or if i can even reuse anything. Please help basically all i know is from what i've searched on here.. just trying to get more information, thanks

306 i learn towards because i've read that alot of ppl have them and like them but the AI seems to be good too but i don't know of many ppl who have it so i'm not really sure on what to think of it or how it compares to 306.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your looking at getting a custom cam and are interested in pulling every last HP out of the cam you are buying, then I would highly reccomend calling either Lloyd Elliot or AI and telling THEM what you have and what your looking for from your setup.

Even if your not squeezing every last little HP out of your setup, they will still set you up with a set that matches exactly what you want.

The 306 is a good cam, and from what I hear the AI 226/234 is nice also. But call them up, dont narrow your search to off the shelf cams or something that you know about. They might throw something you have never heard of before, but it will match your tastes perfectly.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd figure out who is doing the heads and get a matching custom grind from them. If your having a local do the work then I would still get a custom grind from someone to better match the setup and squeeze the most out of it. Out of those two cams I'd go with the Ai one first since the cc306 is on somewhat lazy lobes and I think there are better alternatives such as the Ai 226/234. To my understanding it makes about the same power but exhibits better drivability.. Another one to check out is their 230/238 but I think going custom is the best route.

EDIT: From Ai's website:

"The Comp Cams CC306 is the CC305's larger brother. It also utilizes the older technology "Magnum" series of lobes from Comp. With proper associated components they are typically reliable, but there are significant drivability trade-offs. If you are looking for a cam that will make more power than the CC306 and retain excellent drivability we suggest our 226/234 grind. Manual cars with 4.10 gears can step up to the 230/238 grind for yet another few hp in the 5000-6400rpm range."
Old 08-17-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would look more into the custom grinds, i just don't know enough about the specs they have and which is best for what. I basically know what i know by just reading about cams that i recognize like gm847 cc503 305 306 crane 227 ect. and go by what they have to say since that's abou all i know is by the number since i know so little about the duration and lift and what effects they have on the performance/sound.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

They can explain it all to you, all you have to say is something to the effect of "I want alot of power, but it needs to be daily driveable" or "I dont care about driveability, give me all you got".

You specifically dont need to know the numbers, you just tell em' what you want from your setup.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
They can explain it all to you, all you have to say is something to the effect of "I want alot of power, but it needs to be daily driveable" or "I dont care about driveability, give me all you got".

You specifically dont need to know the numbers, you just tell em' what you want from your setup.
Yea you just fill them in with all the information about the car and what you want out it. Say you want it to pass emissions, you want to shift at 6500, want it to idle like stock....stuff like that and they set you up with a cam that fits all of that.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats actually really good to hear, i'll give them a call. But what would you guys recommend on brands for opti and wires? I'm trying to figure out all I need before I start buying everything.. so any extra information is appreciated also!

oh and what is a good rpm to be shifting at? its m6 and i just hear about ppl screw'n their bearings and i figure the higher the rpm the more likely that'll happen. i didn't know if there was a safer zone or no..haha

Last edited by lt1z28camaro; 08-18-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
Thats actually really good to hear, i'll give them a call. But what would you guys recommend on brands for opti and wires? I'm trying to figure out all I need before I start buying everything.. so any extra information is appreciated also!
I like to personally stick with stock GM Opti's, I've had great luck with them. I believe Delphi now makes them instead of ACDelco but they are the same thing. You can get them for pretty good prices on ebay from the seller thepartladi and they are genuine ACDelco/Delphi units.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just wondering why you stick to gm when the original one they put on isn't great? I figured it'd be better to go aftermarket with opti since original one seems to go out alot. but yeah just wondering if u experimented with any others besides gm?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an MSD and love it, no problems here.

The stock units are also great, its the autozone/napa/local parts store optis that are the hit or miss ones. Get one from a dealer, or "thepartsladi" on ebay and you will get a genuine AC piece. We have to think about it this way, if the opti can survive for any length of time in its current location, then its a pretty rugged piece in my opinion.

So basically, short answer is Id be going with a GM AC Delco or a MSD/Dynaspark/other quality aftermarket piece.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, do you recommend replace opti while everything is taken apart even if nothing is wrong? I guess it does cut out when car has been sitting then ran hard but i think that may be wires. should i replace it anyway?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats totally up to you, if it makes you feel better doing it with everything apart (no doubt that would be the easiest time) then do that. I know of lots of people who did an opti as their first mod just to be sure their origional wouldent leave them stranded. Piece of mind goes a long way. You dont really have to though, as many stock optis go for 100k/150k even 200k without any problems.

But if the car is cutting out at any point, check for stored trouble codes... That will lead you to your problem (if theres codes).

If your car has been sitting for awhile, a tuneup might be a good idea also.

Quick Reply: cc306 vs. AI 226/234