Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 bolt whine

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 12 bolt whine

Like the title says any body have this noise. I bought this because my stock rear was loud as hell with the richmond. I have 411 gears in this and it is starting to whine. I had it looked at and lash pattern is fine. I am going to change the fluid in it again. That seems to quiet it down for a few hundered miles. Anyone else have a Strange with this happening. Thanks just checking.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

tasilver, I just put mine in a week ago, and it's definitely louder than the stocker, but I just think it's normal since 4.11s have more teeth and the gears are made from a harder metal. I actually like the sounds, and wouldn't really describe it as a whine, although there is an element of that, but like a serious piece of machinery doing its job. I don't think you can compare it to an unbroken stock 10-bolt. I have no complaints. JMO.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only reason I was asking was because it was quiet as a mouse through the breakin. So the whine is getting louder and louder only under acceleration. I am going to try some GM additive the next time I change the rear fluid.

Oh yeah don't forget to PM me the dyno results .
Old 08-18-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tasilver
The only reason I was asking was because it was quiet as a mouse through the breakin. So the whine is getting louder and louder only under acceleration. I am going to try some GM additive the next time I change the rear fluid.

Oh yeah don't forget to PM me the dyno results .
I won't forget, I wrote it down. I'm ordering the ARHs in a few minutes. Then install, tuning, and dyno. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks, I hope.

Yours was dead quiet in the beginning? Mine never was, but I never thought anything was wrong with it either. Maybe you didn't rev it much in the beginning? I know mine's quieter at low rpms. I don't see how it's possible for these rears, especially with 4.11s, to be super quiet. I know people say they should be, but I never believed it. JMO.

I wonder if Strange put additive in it at the factory? I'm putting a bottle in at about 500 miles when I change the gear oil, SAE 80W-90.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Hey tasilver, just a heads up, I ordered my ARHs, a couple minutes ago, and spoke to Nick. He said he has to build them and it will take about two weeks. So it might take a little longer than I originally said to get you my dyno numbers, but I will. Later.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its teh stress distorting the rear from the torque arm mount that makes them whine... it shouldnt do that i have been in cars with 4.88's in 12 bolts that didnt whine...
Old 08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFate
its teh stress distorting the rear from the torque arm mount that makes them whine... it shouldnt do that i have been in cars with 4.88's in 12 bolts that didnt whine...
Is this supposedly unique to 12-bolts since my 10-bolt didn't seem to have this distortion problem? Or is it just propaganda perpetuated by Moser to cover their a** when it comes to their poor track record with 12-bolts? I always wondered.

I don't believe that an outrageous whining noise should be happening, but on the other hand I also think that a 12-bolt rearend is going to be noisier than a normal 10-bolt. I think my Strange is operating perfectly, but it's not dead quiet, some mechanical noise, and a slight whine. I think this distortion theory is politics. JMO.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i do too...my M12 sucked ***. im not trying to cover for them b/c there is NO reason a bolt on LT1 should break any aftermarket rear!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think it is because of the torque arm. It started before I added my adj torque arm. Changed the fluid after the breakin and I quieted back down. Now it is starting up again. I am going to try to change the fluid this weekend if I get some free time. I am going to add the GM additive and see if it has any affect on it. The whine is not that bad I just notice it because of all of the crap I went through with my stock and added gears.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there such a thing as a quiet aftermarket rear?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It shouldn't be making a ton of noise, especially if it was quiet on break-in. If it was quiet and now isn't, something has changed. Mine has been noisy from the get-go, and if you find a thread I posted about it a couple weeks ago, you'll see how messed up the pattern is. Plus, I have a feeling that either the carrier or pinion preload is a little too tight on mine, although I never measured it.

So much bad information in this thread. You really think it is the torque arm mount that stresses these things that much under street driving conditions? Please...stop regurgitating internet myths.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Strange 12 bolt whined from day one. It's got 3.91 gears and a posi. It only does it from about 40-60mph and only when giving it enough throttle to just hold current speed (not accel or decel). It's tolerable mostly because the car is loud anyways but in a quiet car it could get annoying.

Strange said the extra noise is expected. I just changed the fluid 85/140 and additive and no difference (wear pattern looks fine). Funny thing is i wanted to get 3.73's and strange wouldn't install them because they said they were too loud. The ratio shouldn't make the gears whine if they are setup right.

Mechanically it's fine, so whatever, guess I can live with it if it doesn't get any worse.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

i have a strange 12 bolt with 3.73's and it is just as quiet as the stocker. Never any noise at all. I was pondering going with 4.10's but those gears are typically noisy. imo.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rpmauto
i have a strange 12 bolt with 3.73's and it is just as quiet as the stocker. Never any noise at all. I was pondering going with 4.10's but those gears are typically noisy. imo.
You know what, that's a good point. The noise is probably because of the 4.11s more than anything else. More teeth, more metal-to-metal contact, and harder steel. Maybe I'm in the minority, but for what I'm getting in return, I don't have a problem with it. I kinda dig it actually.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Strange 12 w/4:11s here. Was quiet when new now screams. Changing the fluid won't do anything. Doesn't bother me.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Strange 12 w/4:11s here. Was quiet when new now screams. Changing the fluid won't do anything. Doesn't bother me.
I just assume that people who say their rears are quiet when new just means that they're breaking them in and haven't revved the engine much. I know that my rear gets louder at higher rpms. I still believe that some noise is perfectly normal, and not a problem, to me anyway, whatsoever.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator
I just assume that people who say their rears are quiet when new just means that they're breaking them in and haven't revved the engine much. I know that my rear gets louder at higher rpms. I still believe that some noise is perfectly normal, and not a problem, to me anyway, whatsoever.
This doesn't make any sense. Revving the engine doesn't change the speed of the diff/gears. 50mph in 5th gear or 50mph in 2nd gear, rear end spins the same speed. Mine was quiet till several trips to the track and launches on Mickey Thompsons.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine was quiet till several trips to the track and launches on Mickey Thompsons.

I hate to hear that man....

That's why I went with the Midwest 9".... built like a tank and quiet.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

This doesn't make any sense. Revving the engine doesn't change the speed of the diff/gears. 50mph in 5th gear or 50mph in 2nd gear, rear end spins the same speed. Mine was quiet till several trips to the track and launches on Mickey Thompsons.
These rearend experiences are so subjective, I'm learning that it's futile to post individual experiences. I see your point, maybe I mean when the engine gets into the power band it seems noisier, I'm not sure though.

All I know for sure is that my 12-bolt is noisier than my stock rear, not in an annoying way, to me anyway, and I expected it to be a noisier, and I can't see how it couldn't be noisier than a 10-bolt. Everything is bigger, the gears, all the moving parts. Also, I find that my rear sounds different everytime I drive the car. I've only put a couple hundred miles on mine, so I'm still learning its characteristics.

It seems that a discussion about aftermarket rearends is steeped in subjectivity, and I'm having a hard time defining what the facts are. I think in the future I'll stick to topics that lend themselves to facts.

So what do you think is causing your rear to be noisier after trips to the track? What's your theory? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Predator

So what do you think is causing your rear to be noisier after trips to the track? What's your theory? Thanks.

Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting. Bob

Quick Reply: Strange 12 bolt whine